Definitive Technology BP6 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Definitive Technology BP6

Eric Z
06-24-2005, 04:31 AM
Hello- Does anyone have any experiences with the Def Tech BP6 floorstanding speakers? My local place has them for under $300/pair- open box item. I listened to them at the store and they sounded good, but I think everything sounds good there.

I know some people don't like bi-polr speakers too much- I haven't had any in my house, so I'm not sure if they'll be a pain to place or not. In the listening area of the store, they were just in line with the other speakers and everything sounded decent. I heard there may be some limitations on where they are placed because of the side or back woofer (not sure where it's at on the BP6.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks.
Eric

PAT.P
06-24-2005, 05:51 AM
Eric Z Dont know much about these speakers.You might check their website for their review www.definitivetech.com I do know its a matter of choice .If they sound good for you ,thats the only thing that matters.I do own dipole/ bipole on-wall speaker and their great. They are intended to ejoy the full effects of multi-channel Dolby Digital and dolby Prologic II processing .Mine as a switch for the direct-radiating sound .I do notice when I watch movies .Pat.P

topspeed
06-24-2005, 07:32 AM
Are they more placement sensitive than normal direct radiators? Yes. However, if you have the space for bi-polars and like their type of sound, you could certainly do worse than the DT's. My suggestion is to see if the shop will loan you the speakers for an in home demo. That way, not only will you be able to spend a fair amount of time with them without a salesman hovering over you, you'll also find out if your rooms acoustics are complimentary to this type of speaker. If possible, bring home some others you like and do a face off.

Hope this helps.

Eric Z
06-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks PatP and Topspeed!

Pat- I know it is up to me with how they sound, but I always like to hear about other people's experiences. I know I really can't go wrong with the quality of a good speaker company, but since I've never owned bi-polar speakers, that's my major concern.

Topspeed- Good idea with testing them in my home. I'm not sure if they loan the speakers, but I can always buy them and return them if I'm not pleased- they have a great return policy. I like that idea because I can really test them with my equipment and room layout!!

Do you know how bi-polars are supposed to be placed? Far from back wall and side walls, etc?

Thanks again.
Eric

PAT.P
06-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Eric Z They should be 4" to 24" from the wall to achieve sonic reproduction.Basically the sound travels like a subwoofer thats rear ported.They seem pretty efficient for room sensitivity ( db) Im surprise the low-frequency goes down that low.My towers goes down to 28hz and cost way more than these. :( Pat.P

Eric Z
06-24-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm probably going to give them a test drive this weekend or maybe early next week. They've had these as an open box item for a little while, so I think I have some negotiating leverage.

I have some flexibility in my room, so I can try a couple different set-ups. Hopefully, it works out- if not, then time to find some other deals.

PAT.P
06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
I'm probably going to give them a test drive this weekend or maybe early next week. They've had these as an open box item for a little while, so I think I have some negotiating leverage.

I have some flexibility in my room, so I can try a couple different set-ups. Hopefully, it works out- if not, then time to find some other deals.
Eric Z You have nothing to loose ,give it a text drive and let us know .Enjoy ,and try some fast pace music like the Red Hot Chili Peppers .Pat.P