SACD audio cables... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : SACD audio cables...

bupton
06-24-2005, 12:48 AM
I know this is a novie question, but is it necessary to run 5.1 rca type cables to get the audio from a sacd/dvd-a source, or can you just use the 5.1 optical/toslink? Thanks...

shokhead
06-24-2005, 05:43 AM
If you want to listen to it the way its suppose to be listened to, run it through the rca's. Dont forget to set up the bass management in your player as thats what your SACD will use,not the BM in your reciever.

Monstrous Mike
06-24-2005, 09:31 AM
I know this is a novie question, but is it necessary to run 5.1 rca type cables to get the audio from a sacd/dvd-a source, or can you just use the 5.1 optical/toslink? Thanks...
Here's an easy answer for you. To listen to SACD or DVD-A you need the proper audio decoder. These decoders do not appear in any amps, they are in the DVD player. Thus, you need to use the 5.1 analog connection.

I could be wrong but I believe the decoders are in the DVD player so that the digital stream is not available to people since some smart guys could capture the signal and duplicate these types of DVDs. I think they (Sony/Philips, etc.) intially tried an encryption scheme but this was too difficult to implement.

bupton
06-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I am waiting for my new DVD player to get here, but it does have all the right bells and whistles to play both formats. I just didnt know if I needed the new cables or not.

Monstrous Mike
06-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I am waiting for my new DVD player to get here, but it does have all the right bells and whistles to play both formats. I just didnt know if I needed the new cables or not.
To explain further, you will likely want to hook up the 5.1 analog AND the digital connection. The digital connnection should be used for everything except SACD/DVD-A.

bupton
06-24-2005, 08:53 PM
To explain further, you will likely want to hook up the 5.1 analog AND the digital connection. The digital connnection should be used for everything except SACD/DVD-A.

That was actually my plan. I still have the toslink cable that I am using on my current DVD player, and was not planning on letting it go. Now I just have to decide on which speakers I am going to end up spending... ;)

gonefishin
06-25-2005, 10:35 AM

Hi MM! How are things...good I hope :)

I would agree with the hi-rez output...that to take advantage of it you need to use the 5.1 rca outs. But in most instances I would use the analog 5.1 rca outs for regular redbook (music CD's) too. If you use the rca outs for sacd, dvd-a and music CD...then your using the DAC circuit inside the player to decode the redbook cd's. If you use the digital outs...your either using an external DAC or the DAC inside of an HT receiver to decode the music.

Personally..I would rather use the DACs inside the player for all music...sacd, dvd-a, redbook over many of the dacs systems in HT recievers. But, If this is an integrated HT/audio system...I would still use the digital out when watching movies. This way you can use your HT receiver to play movies in DD or DTS.

Of course there are exceptions, like if your HT receiver is known to have a very good dac circuit...or if your player is know to have a poor performing dac inside. But for most instances...I'd go rca 5.1 out for music and digital for 5.1DD or DTS movies.

just my $.02

dan