100 Greatest Quotes Ever! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 100 Greatest Quotes Ever!

Kam
06-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Again... to be taken with a grain of salt, but a good list from AFI. And given our recent bout of arnie quotes in the other thread, quite timely.
check em out: (and a breakdown from cnn)

have to say the only glaringly bad one on there, imo, is #94. and maybe its just my nostalgia or the toxic fumes talking, but #98 should be higher. :)

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/06/22/film.moviequotes.ap/index.html

peace
k2

topspeed
06-22-2005, 10:40 AM
I saw some of this last night and have to be honest, some of their choices left me scratching my head. How could they not include the Heston's lines from Planet of the Apes when he's kneeling before the statue of liberty?? "You killed Her!"

If it's good enough for Madagascar, it's good enough for this list :p!

ericl
06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Those are great. I think my favs are:

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

and

"Plastics."
For some reason that one just makes me laugh.

This list kept reminding me of Weird Al's movie, UHF. He parodied a lot of these quotes and movies. I know what you're thinking, weird al, what a dork, but if you haven't seen it, this movie is his masterpiece. A young Michael Richards (aka Kramer from Seinfeld) makes his debut and is brilliant, and there are a lot hilarious moments and quotes.

"Badgers? Badgers? WE DON'T NEED NO STEENKEEN BADGERS!!!"

Speaking of quotes, I love the Homer Simpson quote in your sig, Kam.

-Eric

MomurdA
06-22-2005, 01:35 PM
Dang i thought i saw this first, i even copied all of em and was gonna paste em. Ah well. UHF is one of the funniest movies ever IMO. Conan the Librarian, Spatula City, Dire Straits music video... classic.
Seriously, where was "Damn you all!!! DAmn you all to hell!!" or something like that.
Or "No, I am your father"
Love that Dr Strangelove made the list. very underrated movie. Sellars plays 3 different roles in that movie, and dont forget about Slim Pickens.

JohnMichael
06-22-2005, 02:08 PM
How about the line from Deliverance? "Boy you got the prettiest mouth I ever seen".

Kam
06-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Speaking of quotes, I love the Homer Simpson quote in your sig, Kam.

-Eric

it may not say much for my intellect, but i definitely have more homer simpson quotes memorized and in my fav's list than Homer quotes. hehe. hell i have more ralph wiggum quotes.
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
"So.... you like.... stuff?"
"I choo-choo choose you!"
"That's where i saw the leprechaun... he tells me to burn things...."
"I ate the blue berries... they taste like burning!"

paper warrior
06-23-2005, 03:01 AM
What you takin outa yo' pocket betta be a sandwich 'cause you gonna have to eat it.

20to20K
06-25-2005, 06:34 PM
it may not say much for my intellect, but i definitely have more homer simpson quotes memorized and in my fav's list than Homer quotes. hehe. hell i have more ralph wiggum quotes.
"Me fail English? That's unpossible!"
"So.... you like.... stuff?"
"I choo-choo choose you!"
"That's where i saw the leprechaun... he tells me to burn things...."
"I ate the blue berries... they taste like burning!"

Some guy: "Homer...are you THAT ignorant or just indifferent?"

Homer: "I don't know and I don't care!"

RGA
06-25-2005, 10:15 PM
hmm I'm wondering why no Mel Brooks Lines are ont he list? Young Frankenstein would be worth at least ten spots by itself.

"What Hump"
'there wolf, there castle"
"what knockers"
Abe-Normal"
Wait, wait, I was going to make an Espresso
Frau Blugggghher
He was my ... Boyfriend!

Then there is the Spaceballs dopey lines
Go to Ludicrous speed

When there's no more room in Hell the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead 1979)

How about Spielberg films:

Schindler's List

People die, it's a fact of life. He wants to kill everybody? Great, what am I supposed to do about it? Bring everybody over? Is that what you think? Send them over to Schindler, send them all. His place is a 'haven,' didn't you know? It's not a factory, it's not an enterprise of any kind, it's a haven for rabbis and orphans and people with no skills whatsoever. You think I don't know what you're doing? You're so quiet all the time. I know. I know.

I'd make sure it's known the company's in business. I'd see that it had a certain panache. That's what I'm good at. Not the work, not the work... the presentation.

(Goeth) They cast a spell on you, you know, the Jews. When you work closely with them, like I do, you see this. They have this power. It's like a virus. Some of my men are infected with this virus. They should be pitied, not punished. They should receive treatment because this is as real as typhus. I see it all the time. It's a matter of money? Hmm?

(Goeth) I came to tell you that you really are a wonderful cook and a well-trained servant. I mean it. If you need a reference after the war, I'd be happy to give you one. It's kind of lonely down here, it seems, with everyone upstairs having such a good time. Does it? You can answer. 'What was the right answer?' That's-that's what you're thinking. 'What does he want to hear?' The truth, Helen, is always the right answer. Yes, you're right. Sometimes we're both lonely. Yes, I mean, I would like, so much, to reach out and touch you in your loneliness. What would that be like, I wonder? I mean, what would be wrong with that? I realize that you're not a person in the strictest sense of the word. Maybe you're right about that too. You know, maybe what's wrong isn't - it's not us - it's this. I mean, when they compare you to vermin and to rodents and to lice, I just, uh...You make a good point, a very good point. (He strokes her hair) Is this the face of a rat? Are these the eyes of a rat? That's not a Jew's eyes. (He brings his hand over her breast) I feel for you, Helen. (He decides not to kiss her) No, I don't think so. You're a Jewish *****. You nearly talked me into it, didn't you?

Stern, if this factory ever produces a shell that can actually be fired, I'll be very unhappy.

The list is an absolute good. The list is life. All around its margins lies the gulf.

Raiders of the Lost Ark:

C'mon, show a little backbone, will ya?

It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

Indiana: Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?
Sallah: Asps. Very dangerous. You go first.

Belloq: Please, sit down before you fall down

Pulp Fiction

Mia: I do believe Marsellus Wallace, my husband, your boss, told you to take ME out and do WHATEVER I WANTED. Now I wanna dance, I wanna win. I want that trophy, so dance good.

Honey Bunny: [about to rob a diner] I love you, Pumpkin.
Pumpkin: I love you too, Honey Bunny.
Pumpkin: [Standing up with a gun] Alright, everybody be cool, this is a robbery!
Honey Bunny: Any of you ****ing pricks move, and I'll execute every mother****ing last one of ya!

Vincent: And you know what they call a... a... a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with cheese?
Vincent: No man, they got the metric system. They wouldn't know what the **** a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: Then what do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a Royale with cheese.
Jules: A Royale with cheese. What do they call a Big Mac?
Vincent: Well, a Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it le Big-Mac.
Jules: Le Big-Mac. Ha ha ha ha. What do they call a Whopper?
Vincent: I dunno, I didn't go into Burger King.

I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Captain Koons: The way your dad looked at it, this watch was your birthright. He'd be damned if any of the slopes were gonna get their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something: his ass. Five long years, he wore this watch up his ass. Then when he died of dysentery, he gave me the watch. I hid this uncomfortable piece of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the watch to you.

20to20K
06-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Verdell: "AK-47...when you absolutely, positively have to kill every muther****** in the house, accept no substitutes"

Verdell: "My ass may be dumb...but I ain't no dumbass!"

More from Pulp:

Winston Wolf: "Gentleman...I understand you have a body, in a car, minus a head. Take me to it."

Marsalis Wallace: "What now? I tell you what now. Me, and this here 'soon to be livin the rest of his short ass life in agonizin pain' rapist here have unfinished business"

daigoro
06-26-2005, 10:16 AM
These guys are the modern-day masters of gab and they get no ink?

Just off the top of my head...

"Oh I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?!"
"Do they speak English on What?"
"Wakey, wakey! Eggs and Bakey!"

"Well, no. Not unless round is funny"
"H.I., you're young and you got your health. What do you want with a job?"
"Take your flunky and dangle."
"Ah hell, they're ALL disgruntled! I ain't runnin' a damn daisy farm!"
"He's wearin his damn jammies! They got Yodas and **** on em!"
"Yeah! Would you buy furniture from a place called Unpainted Huffheinz?"
"No, just kinda funny lookin. More than most people even."
"Ya, you betcha!"