Is there another Opeth release like Damnation? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Is there another Opeth release like Damnation?

3-LockBox
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
I really dig Damantion (yeah, I know Steve Wilson produced it). I've heard snippets from an earlier release of theirs and was immediately turned off by the 'cookie monster' vocals.

Do all Opeth's releases have these type of vox on every track?

What a shame if its so, because I really like Damnation.

kexodusc
06-22-2005, 10:05 AM
There's a few passages here and there in the other albums, but mostly it's cookie monster.

Funny, about 1 year ago or so, I was posting the same question. Give Deliverance a chance. It's the predecessor to Damnation (in fact they were to be 2 sides of the same album before the record company had it's way). It's got cookie monster on it for the most part, but if you can listen through that Opeth is actually pretty damn good. These two albums really work well together. If you can dig Deliverance, go to Blackwater Park, which is arguably there best to date.

I hope they continue down the mellow path, because the singer ain't so bad and the music was good.

3-LockBox
06-22-2005, 10:09 AM
I think it was Blackwater Park that I heard snippets from and I have a hard time listening past those vocals. But I agree with you...the lead singer can actually sing, so why doesn't he?

DarrenH
06-22-2005, 10:16 AM
You won't find another album like Damnation in Opeth's catalog.

Blackwater Park is about half and half clean and cookie monster.

Deliverance is mostly cookie monster.

Beyond those three albums my knowledge of Opeth ceases.

Mad Rhetorik is the resident guru regarding Opeth.

Personally, I didn't like the cookie monster vox much either but I've grown accustomed to the style, at least with Opeth. I can't comment on other bands because I don't like the style that much but with Opeth, and the Steven Wilson provenance, it's feels different with me. I happen to think the music is fantastic and when Mikael does sing clean it's even better.

Darren

kexodusc
06-22-2005, 10:19 AM
That's the thing they're going for I guess...but it appears they might be changing. This happens a lot with bands, bored of the status quo I guess.

I listen to the death-metal Opeth stuff as though the screaming was just distortion in harmony with the music, rather than someone actually singing...it was a bit tricky at first, but if you can get past it, Opeth is really good at what they do.

Duds
06-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Katatonia made the transition from "cookie monster" vocals to I guess you would call it normal vocals. they made the transition quite well too.

That's the thing they're going for I guess...but it appears they might be changing. This happens a lot with bands, bored of the status quo I guess.

I listen to the death-metal Opeth stuff as though the screaming was just distortion in harmony with the music, rather than someone actually singing...it was a bit tricky at first, but if you can get past it, Opeth is really good at what they do.

Dusty Chalk
06-22-2005, 09:27 PM
You won't find another album like Damnation in Opeth's catalog.Ever. Damnation was a "one-off" for them.

I suggest going back and listening to early King Crimson.