Dilema [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dilema

Duds
06-22-2005, 08:24 AM
I am getting ready to purchase a HDTV. I have a buyer for my 51" RPTV, so that will proved me with most of the cash for the HDTV. I was all set to get the new Toshiba 34hf85, until i just found out they are outsourcing that tv to Orion. Last year they outsorced the 26" and 30" models, and from what I hear they were junk. So now I'm not sure I want to buy the 34hf85 since its not actually built by Toshiba. On the other hand, my brother belongs to a shoppers club, and I can get the TV for $950, and they double the warranty, so I would have a two year warranty on it from the get go. So far, the cheapest I have seen this TV in the stores is $1200.

I've been reading on another site about how good some of the Sont 34 inch HDTV's are, but they are also quite a bit more expensive. Can anyone provide me with some insight to help me solve my dilema?!?!

edtyct
06-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Two things are happening in the CRT world: The technology has stabilized in such a way as to make most of the products offered by reputable companies pretty good, but the manufacturers' impetus to pay much attention to improving or pushing CRTs has waned considerably. Another recent post on this board made a point of stating how good the 34" Sony XBRs are. They are good, but so are Sony's non-XBRs. In fact, last year's XBRs often turn into this year's non-XBRs. My only caveat with the Sonys concerns the scrolling bar across the screen at 1080i. I don't know whether Sony has eliminated it; it used to be endemic, regardless of apparent fixes. It never bothered me that much, but once you've seen it, you keep seeing it. The higher-end Panasonic, Toshiba, and Philips direct view CRTs over the last few years listing in the $2000 area have been pretty good, but I haven't kept up with them. I recall that Samsung's CRTs were relatively affordable and well appointed, though I've never spent any time with one. Outsourcing of CRTs doesn't surprise me at this late stage of the CRT game. You'd probably be surprised at how much outsourcing goes on these days with even more glamorous products (Fujitsu used to have its hand in almost every plasma under the sun). I'm hesitant to make a recommendation, but if you can find a closeout of a Sony XBR, or even the line below it, from a reputable dealer, at something like your price, you might consider it. Maybe someone will come up with a good, clean recommendation.

Ed

Duds
06-22-2005, 08:53 AM
Hey Ed,

Thanks for the info. The XS line from Sony has been getting rave reviews at avsforum.com.

I like crt's because i think they provide an great picture for much less than plasma or other formats. And the overall size doesnt really concern me, I dont need a flat panel.

i may have to spend a little more than i had hoped on a Sony.

Two things are happening in the CRT world: The technology has stabilized in such a way as to make most of the products offered by reputable companies pretty good, but the manufacturers' impetus to pay much attention to improving or pushing CRTs has waned considerably. Another recent post on this board made a point of stating how good the 34" Sony XBRs are. They are good, but so are Sony's non-XBRs. In fact, last year's XBRs often turn into this year's non-XBRs. My only caveat with the Sonys concerns the scrolling bar across the screen at 1080i. I don't know whether Sony has eliminated it; it used to be endemic, regardless of apparent fixes. It never bothered me that much, but once you've seen it, you keep seeing it. The higher-end Panasonic, Toshiba, and Philips direct view CRTs over the last few years listing in the $2000 area have been pretty good, but I haven't kept up with them. I recall that Samsung's CRTs were relatively affordable and well appointed, though I've never spent any time with one. Outsourcing of CRTs doesn't surprise me at this late stage of the CRT game. You'd probably be surprised at how much outsourcing goes on these days with even more glamorous products (Fujitsu used to have its hand in almost every plasma under the sun). I'm hesitant to make a recommendation, but if you can find a closeout of a Sony XBR, or even the line below it, from a reputable dealer, at something like your price, you might consider it. Maybe someone will come up with a good, clean recommendation.

Ed

edtyct
06-22-2005, 09:10 AM
In some ways, it's the golden age of CRTs, with arguably the best picture and the lowest price--the only relative disadvantages being the small screen, the huge depth, and the back-spasm-inducing weight. Thankfully, you don't have to pick them up to turn them on. Have fun.

Ed