Getting a little bit of interfernce from cable box:?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Getting a little bit of interfernce from cable box:??

Adam01
06-22-2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks for all of the input Ive received in here. I have been piecing together a surround system and really needed the guidance.

So...I received my Denon 1905 and ran my cable box into the receiver via "composite" video cable, not "component" mind you. I am running "component" cable out to my plasma (42" Panny EDTV) from the Denon. When the picture came up, I noticed a flickering band of interference. Its not constant, but its frequent enough for a red flag. I had no other source plugged into the receiver so Im sure it was the cable box. Anyway, I then ran the cable box into the TV and I have no problems. Im cool leaving it that way, but is there a way to eliminate that issue?

BTW, I have no issue with my DVD into the receiver, then into the TV. All is well there.

Thanks!

edtyct
06-22-2005, 08:23 AM
Any number of things could be happening, but one thing is indisputable: The composite connection from cable box is doing a disservice to the Panasonic, which is capable of a beautiful picture if given a healthy diet. If you're component-input challenged, why not get a component switcher? Copperbox offers them, but so do other electronics stores and ebay. BTW, it's always best to go directly into the TV if you can. Though it usually doesn't make any noticeable difference, it can, especially if the signal is compromised in the first place. The shortest, least complicated signal path is always preferred. The same logic applies, in some sense, to component over composite. The composite cable has to handle a lot of information that component breaks down into specialties. This is one area where the difference is nonnegotiable.

Ed

Adam01
06-22-2005, 08:37 AM
Any number of things could be happening, but one thing is indisputable: The composite connection from cable box is doing a disservice to the Panasonic, which is capable of a beautiful picture if given a healthy diet. If you're component-input challenged, why not get a component switcher? Copperbox offers them, but so do other electronics stores and ebay. BTW, it's always best to go directly into the TV if you can. Though it usually doesn't make any noticeable difference, it can, especially if the signal is compromised in the first place. The shortest, least complicated signal path is always preferred. The same logic applies, in some sense, to component over composite. The composite cable has to handle a lot of information that component breaks down into specialties. This is one area where the difference is nonnegotiable.

Ed

Thanks! I'll look for a component switcher. Boy, Im stuck with a 4.0 right now, consisting of Pinnacle pn2 FR, FL, and 2 old, cheap KLH rear surrounds. I was a little dissappointed when I wired it up last night. The KLH's are barely noticable. I guess I cant be surprised though considering.