Some used gear and Ebay suggestions [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some used gear and Ebay suggestions

thepogue
06-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Nodd and I were having a conversation in reference to buying used gear and using ebay...I'm sure there are tons of good suggestion but here's a few..and I thought I'd add these thoughts here

1- go SLOW...although the auctions are timed, look long and hard!

2- Buy from a fellow audio-nut!!...more times than not anyone upgrading (and spending more $$$) normally takes care of what they have!

3- Speakers seem to be a better/safer bet, amps second, CD players and TT round out the list...IMHO

4- Buying used, by FAR, is the best way to get bang for buck!! No question about it!! At times you'll only pay from 40 to 60% of the new value!

5- Get lots and lots of photos! In this was you can see a persons "set-up"...I once saw a Krell for sale and the photos showed it laying on the floor next to a spent back of chips and some toys....not a good sign...IMO

6- When you have an item shipped to you (from a bid or purchase) have the seller use your name as the shipper and receiver (much like your shipping to yourself on vacation). In this was it UPS (or whatever shipper you use) busts up your pieces you won't have to involve the seller to get your claim processed...don't forget UPS it making a contract w/ the person shipping NOT the party receiving the goods...so if something goes wrong you as the shipper and receiver can make a some what smooth claim.

good luck brudda!!!

Pogue

vinylphile
06-22-2005, 07:35 AM
Good suggestions. Still, one should remember that ebay is in some ways, the world's largest garage sale/flea market and hucksters are present in great numbers. A few more suggestions:

1. Ask questions. If the seller sounds like a moron in his replies, he probably is. Correspondingly, the equipment may not have received the best of care.

2. Of course, do not chase bids and get caught up in "auction fever". If you miss out the first time, odds are that something suitable will show up over a period of time.

3. NEVER bid on anything that someone says he is selling for someone else. This is a real red flag and usually translates into "lousy condition and/or does not work". When you are unhappy with what you got, the seller will disavow any knowledge about the item sold.

JohnMichael
06-22-2005, 07:44 AM
I am also leary of people selling an item and the description and specs they quote are wrong. One seller had a pair of NHT Superones that was described as having a metal dome tweeter and a poly cone woofer. The picture showed the speaker with its normal pulp woofer and soft dome tweeter. Makes you wonder what you might be sent.

vr6ofpain
06-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Don't expect miracles though.

I purchased a prestine Adcom GFA-545 off ebay ~2 years ago. It sounded great and worked with no issues up till about a month ago. Apparently one of the filter caps has gone south because one of the instantaneous distortion alert lights (left channel) is stays on if you have it plugged in and a speaker is connected (even if you power it down the light will stay on for minutes...makes even more sense that it is related to one of the 10,000uf caps).

So I spent a ~$250 on a great amp, that was and still is visually flawless, and was at the time 'mechanically' sound. Now it is for a lack of a better word a very large 'paperweight', or maybe a 'stange' mono-block!

I want to repair it myself, but I am having some trouble finding a source of 63V 10,000uf radial terminal capacitors.

Worf101
06-23-2005, 06:40 AM
I'd make it a "sticky" for all the noobs to read if I were running the outfit. All my gear is off "The Bay" or used . I've had some successes some failures, some scores and some scams. All in all it's great way to get good gear for less money. I never could've afforded an Onkyo 898 and Platinum Studio 3's at list or anything even close to list. Going laggling edge instead of "bleeding edge" does have it's advantages. Only one thing to add to your list.

* If it sounds "too good to be true" it usuallly is.

Da Worfster :cool:

thepogue
06-24-2005, 10:45 AM
* If it sounds "too good to be true" it usuallly is.

Da Worfster :cool:
The savings can be HUGH...if one is wise...and patient

Pogue

BRANDONH
06-24-2005, 10:56 AM
Don't expect miracles though.

I purchased a prestine Adcom GFA-545 off ebay ~2 years ago. It sounded great and worked with no issues up till about a month ago. Apparently one of the filter caps has gone south because one of the instantaneous distortion alert lights (left channel) is stays on if you have it plugged in and a speaker is connected (even if you power it down the light will stay on for minutes...makes even more sense that it is related to one of the 10,000uf caps).

So I spent a ~$250 on a great amp, that was and still is visually flawless, and was at the time 'mechanically' sound. Now it is for a lack of a better word a very large 'paperweight', or maybe a 'stange' mono-block!

I want to repair it myself, but I am having some trouble finding a source of 63V 10,000uf radial terminal capacitors.
Is this the part your needing?
Part number: 36DA103F063AL2B
10000UF 63VDC DC:93
NIPPON COM GRADE SCREW TYPE ALUM ELECTRO NIPPON
Link: http://www.mistersprockets.com/capacitors.html

vr6ofpain
06-27-2005, 03:21 PM
wow 1 capacitor for $64!

I found some other sites that have the same spec cap for ~$6-8 each, so about 10% of the cost of that one. What makes it so special?

Also, I will need 4, because I dont want one channel running two adcom caps, and the other channel running one adcom and one 'other' cap. I would rather have 4 of the same, for consistency.

BRANDONH
06-28-2005, 06:28 AM
wow 1 capacitor for $64!

I found some other sites that have the same spec cap for ~$6-8 each, so about 10% of the cost of that one. What makes it so special?

Also, I will need 4, because I dont want one channel running two adcom caps, and the other channel running one adcom and one 'other' cap. I would rather have 4 of the same, for consistency.
I dont know a capacitor from a diode and have no idea why it costs more than the ones you found.
Since you mentioned you where looking for that one, I just did some research trying to help you find what you where looking for.
You may want to contact each supplier and ask that question.
Good luck

nightflier
06-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I've been on eBay for years, and I have to say that it's hit or miss. I have not yet been burned with A/V equipment, but with other stuff like antiques & art, it's been a 80% success rate at best, and generally the successes were not excellent values by the end of an auction. I've also noticed identical model A/V components selling for wildly different prices with no apparent explanation. I have more faith in Audiogon and similar sites that are more specific to A/V gear.

mixadude
06-28-2005, 06:26 PM
I bought my Elite vsx-59txi (for $1850 +$70 shipping) on Ebay from a seller that obviously was audio savy and had all excellent feedback. It came on time and was absolutely pristeen. I've also bought other audio and computer equipment there and so far haven't had a problem, but I do rely heavily on feedback and descriptions and pictures. I'm also sure to leave feedback. If they don't have any feedback or have negative feedback then I consider the risk and the amount involved. I also prefer to use PayPal.

After I had won the receiver, I received an email regarding a different one I had also bid on but lost, regarding a "second chance" offering. Then I received an email from another potential bidder, stating that he was concerned about the auction I had won, saying that the seller of my unit had also offered a "second chance" to him. Turns out it was all a bogus scam and ebay sent me an email shortly afterward advising me that the second chance offers were bogus and that the offending party had been banned.

So be careful out there and if it seems at all hinky, pass it up ;)

maddgoo1
07-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Everyone makes good points about ebay. I've purchased and sold audio products and detailed descriptions and pictures are key to a good transaction. Ask questions and if the party is unresponsive, buy elsewhere. Look for the sellers who accept paypal and have high percentage feedback, so that you receive extra coverage via paypal (98%+) and ensure you have some recourse if the transaction goes bad. Look at the sellers feedback. You can often tell what kind of ebayer they are by reading the feedback. The other drawback from ebay purchases of new equipment is the potential lack of warranty coverage, so be aware of that. It is, however, a great place to buy used audio equipment at bargain prices.

SlumpBuster
02-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Having just gotten my first rip off on Ebay, I thought I'd resurrect this thread. In fact it might even be worthy of a sticky as already suggested.

I just violated a bunch of the rules outlined in here and to ones surpise, got a dud in the mail. We're talking cassette deck belts so badly decomposed it looks like someone dumped tar in there. But the item description was "Excellent working condition."

Now I'm not really complaining. It was "vintage" equipment anyway. I'm stupid for buying a cassette deck in the first place. It was no one's fault buy my own. "IF ITS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS."

But, could I leave negative feedback? Of course not! Not if I didn't want bad feedback on me. Seller did offer refund if I shipped the deck back, but shipping was more than I paid for the item. :(

This is the second deck I've received with bad belts. The first one I knew they were bad, but wanted the matching integrated amp and tuner that were being sold as a package.

The Rule I would add is: Always always assume belts will be bad on TT, cassette, and Reel to Reel. Don't bid if you don't know how to replace belts.