Sony CRT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony CRT

Dr_Bass
06-21-2005, 10:24 PM
i noticed Sony dropped the 40" crt tube hdtv. that one didn't seem to stay around that long.

the new 34" XBR has the best HDTV picture i've ever seen anywere but it's kinda small for home theater.

any chance of them making a 36 or 40" 16:9 crt hdtv?

i'm sure it would weigh a ton but i would love to have one if they ever make it.

Bass

edtyct
06-22-2005, 07:45 AM
Unfortunately, Sony only makes the 36" in 4:3, probably because the manufacturing platform is set up that way. Nor is 16x9 likely ever to occur in that size, since direct view CRT is going the way of the dinosaur, slowly perhaps but inevitably. Don't expect any new product in direct view CRT from the majors. You might check out the new SED RP technology, which is based on CRT but cuts down on size and weight, though it also increases cost considerably. I agree with you about the Sony 34" XBR, in fact any Sony HD direct view, despite the scrolling white bar across the screen at 1080i. Part of the seamlessness of the picture is due to the small size, but some of it is definitely attributable to Sony's magic inside the tube, especially when you consider that the actual sharpness is limited to about 800 to 1200 scan lines horizontally out of a theoretically possible 1920.

Ed

Dr_Bass
06-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Unfortunately, Sony only makes the 36" in 4:3, probably because the manufacturing platform is set up that way. Nor is 16x9 likely ever to occur in that size, since direct view CRT is going the way of the dinosaur, slowly perhaps but inevitably. Don't expect any new product in direct view CRT from the majors. You might check out the new SED RP technology, which is based on CRT but cuts down on size and weight, though it also increases cost considerably. I agree with you about the Sony 34" XBR, in fact any Sony HD direct view, despite the scrolling white bar across the screen at 1080i. Part of the seamlessness of the picture is due to the small size, but some of it is definitely attributable to Sony's magic inside the tube, especially when you consider that the actual sharpness is limited to about 800 to 1200 scan lines horizontally out of a theoretically possible 1920.

Ed
i was just checking out the 36" crt

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=94932

any idea of what size 16x9 image you get from a 36" 4x3 tv?

i remember one time i was at the wiz about 2-3 years ago when they had the 40" sony crt hdtv 4x3 sitting next to the 34" 16x9 sony crt. both were running the same hdtv program and the 34" unit had so much more detail even though the 40" was in hdtv mode.

Bass

edtyct
06-23-2005, 05:01 AM
The diagonal on a 36" 4:3 a widescreen letterbox is 33", compared to widescreen 34" TV. An inch may not seem like much, but you trim a lot from the top to get there. Even if the scan lines collapse to preserve resolution, the smaller area makes it harder to fullly appreciate the detail. The best way to see widescreen is to employ the whole screen. My feeling is that a 4:3 makes sense only if 4:3 material constitutes most of your viewing by far, and if you aren't concerned with preserving the full widescreen effect whenever possible. Aspect ratios greater than 1.78:1 really suffer on a 4:3.

Ed

Dr_Bass
06-23-2005, 10:14 AM
The diagonal on a 36" 4:3 a widescreen letterbox is 33", compared to widescreen 34" TV. An inch may not seem like much, but you trim a lot from the top to get there. Even if the scan lines collapse to preserve resolution, the smaller area makes it harder to fullly appreciate the detail. The best way to see widescreen is to employ the whole screen. My feeling is that a 4:3 makes sense only if 4:3 material constitutes most of your viewing by far, and if you aren't concerned with preserving the full widescreen effect whenever possible. Aspect ratios greater than 1.78:1 really suffer on a 4:3.

Ed
thank you very much

just one last question

what size 4x3 pic will you get from a 34" 16x9 set ?

thanks

Bass

edtyct
06-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Bass, I didn't see your question until this evening. The 4:3 diagonal on a 34" widescreen set is 28". Kinda, small, huh? But before you go running for the 36" again, remember that the safest way to show 1.33:1 on a widescreen CRT is by filling the screen with the least objectionable zoom possible to guard against uneven phosphor burn. Critical viewing of 4:3 in its pristine form once in while (if there is such a thing) won't hurt, but the combination of employing the whole screen and keeping the contrast/brightness around 50% or so will pay dividends in the long run. Also, a good setup disk like Digital Video Essentials or AVIA is highly recommended.

Ed