Polk Speakers for Surround [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk Speakers for Surround

treta
06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
What's the general opinion on Polk RM6800 or 6900 surround 5.1 speakers?

Looking to replace some very old speakers and seen some decent reviews on these. I know they're not high-end but I'm on a budget and only have about $800 to spend. I would be using them with a Yahama HTR-5860 receiver.

Hoping to get something that's pretty good for both movie surround and music and works well with my Yamaha.

Thanks

GMichael
06-21-2005, 01:38 PM
I have only heard a few Polk speakers and these are not among them. I can say that the Infinity Primus line matches up very well with Yamaha. I bought the 360's at Crutchfield and they sent 2 bookshelf speakers for free. Then I ordered the sub and center and got two more free bookshelfs. The whole deal cost me under 1200. But the 360's are at the top of the Primus line. The 250's are nice too. I also got the PS12 sub. The PS8 is also nice and costs less.
The Primus 360's are in this month's issue on Sterophile. They seemed to like them and made several statements about them being better than many $1000 speakers.
BUT!!!
Right now I am looking at the mini-Mags. Check out this site. These are on my current wish list. And for 300.00 a pair. That aint bad.

http://www.magnepan.com/_mmgw_c.php

GMichael
06-21-2005, 01:46 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1uqtXKJfTYN/cgi-bin/prodgroup.asp?g=132150&nvpair=FFBrand%7CInfinity

paul_pci
06-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Polks are fine for your budget, but for God's sake, don't get the satellite system, or any satellite system for that matter. Get matching three fronts of Polks (or Infinity, whatever) and cheaper rear speakers and you'll be set. When I did that, I spent about $500 without having to get a satellite system. Of course, in this case you'll be without a sub, but you can save up for that, I suppose.

Shwamdoo
06-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Dude, check out the Epos 5.1 surround speakers. They are an amazing value.

drseid
06-22-2005, 02:53 AM
What's the general opinion on Polk RM6800 or 6900 surround 5.1 speakers?

Looking to replace some very old speakers and seen some decent reviews on these. I know they're not high-end but I'm on a budget and only have about $800 to spend. I would be using them with a Yahama HTR-5860 receiver.

Hoping to get something that's pretty good for both movie surround and music and works well with my Yamaha.

Thanks
I am not sure if the model is one of those you listed (as I had no intention of buying them), but I heard a Polk 5.1 setup (sub/sat style) at a Tweeter a couple months back being demoed for a prospective buyer, and I was horrified at the sound I heard... The bass was completely boomy, and the highs shrill. In all fairness to Polk, Tweeter could have boosted the subwoofer to impress the masses, and I am sure that the positioning of the speakers was highly sub-optimal... but based on what I heard that day, I personally would not touch any sub/sat set of speakers from Polk. Just not good, IMO.

You may want to give the Definitive Technology ProCinema sub/sat system a try for similar money... or maybe one from Boston Acoustics. Just a couple alternatives of many possibilities in your price range.

---Dave