To DVD, or Not to DVD... that is the question! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : To DVD, or Not to DVD... that is the question!

the1sen
06-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Hello... I require some advice, and would be most appreciative of all your opinions.

I have just purchased my first home theater system, save one component, the DVD player. There are so many options, and so many different reasons to buy one over another that I just don't get... I will list the equipment I'm using, and perhaps from there, you might be able to make a few recommendations.

Fronts = Paradigm Studio 60's
Center = Paradigm CC-470
Rears = Paradigm Atoms
Sub = Paradigm PDR-12
AVR = Yamaha RX-V1500
TV = Hitachi 51" HDTV Projection TV

I was contemplating going with the Yamaha DVD-S1500 just to match my current equipment. Then again, I don't want to go with something where I could get more bang for the buck. This system will be primarily used for Movies, but we do listen to it for music also... our budget limits us to no more than $500.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. :cool:

paul_pci
06-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Hello... I require some advice, and would be most appreciative of all your opinions.

I have just purchased my first home theater system, save one component, the DVD player. There are so many options, and so many different reasons to buy one over another that I just don't get... I will list the equipment I'm using, and perhaps from there, you might be able to make a few recommendations.

Fronts = Paradigm Studio 60's
Center = Paradigm CC-470
Rears = Paradigm Atoms
Sub = Paradigm PDR-12
AVR = Yamaha RX-V1500
TV = Hitachi 51" HDTV Projection TV

I was contemplating going with the Yamaha DVD-S1500 just to match my current equipment. Then again, I don't want to go with something where I could get more bang for the buck. This system will be primarily used for Movies, but we do listen to it for music also... our budget limits us to no more than $500.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. :cool:

There's no reason to "match" your DVD player to your equipment. Denon makes some solid DVD players, but $500 isn't enough for them. I believe Integra makes a solid DVD player for $500. Forget the model nuumber. Check the website and local dealers. Others will tell you not to go all out on a DVD player, unless you plan on using it also for DVD-A. Make sure you get one that has solid construction, all the features that you need and is a well known brand.

kexodusc
06-21-2005, 09:40 AM
I have the Yamaha C750 5-disc DVD player. It plays DVD-A's and SACD's as well as standard DVD's and CD's.
I see it sold now for less than $300. It's a great working unit.

I also have a one-disc Toshiba SD-4960 that plays all the same formats. The picture quality is not quite as nice, but still excellent, but I see it selling for $70-$90.

I'd highly recommend both.
If you don't care for DVD-A or SACD multi-channel music formats, you can find models that trade those features for others in those price-ranges.
Buying a DVD player is easy these days.

If I were you, I might not drop $500 on a player just now. Sure it'll be a great unit, but in a year or so when Blu-Ray and HD-DVD hit the market, you might want to move over to one of those players (by all accounts they will be backward compatible with DVD). Just a suggestion. Good DVD players are quite inexpensive these days.

the1sen
06-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. :cool:

the1sen
06-21-2005, 09:55 AM
Blu-Ray and HD-DVD ? will this be something like a plasma TV where it is simply ridiculously unaffordable, and then slowly decline in price?

wuold it be better to just get a decent unit in the now, and worry about the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD technological advances later?

I liked the build quality and sound from the Yamaha DVD-S1500 I demo'd. I also liked the Integra model I demo'd at the store, but it was not one that I would buy.

recoveryone
06-21-2005, 10:04 AM
On the blue ray and other stuff, I would suggest a wait and see approach. It will come down to which one the studios will support more. Remember Beta vs. VHS, Beta much better picture, but did not get the wide support that VHS received. And like you said the first ones will be sky high in price. Hmmmm what happen to VHS HD. nice ideal, but way too late for the the market to change back to tape from disc. just my 2 cents

the1sen
06-21-2005, 10:08 AM
well, thanks again for the info. I'm heading to pick up that Yamaha. :D

edtyct
06-21-2005, 10:15 AM
If anyone's laboring under budget constraints, this is the perfect time to buy a DVD player; at this point, the distance between the expensive and inexpensive, at least in video quality, is as slim as it can get. That's part of the reason why the next big thing--HD quality DVD--is knocking at the door. ED DVD quality has little to prove and few novel selling points to drive much of a market anymore. The HD formats will represent a sea change, even though the current quality has few complaints. Few people who see HDTV remain totally impervious to it, regardless of the shameful fact that not enough people have seen it yet. I think that hi def DVD will have the same effect, if not greater, even if only a small minority at first is informed, motivated, and rich enough to adopt it early. This is a case of "if they build it, we will come." The complicating factor is the competing formats, which can cause buyer paralysis. Although the principals agreed to talk about pooling their interests, they appear to be agreeing to disagree once again. If HD-DVD arrives on the scene first, as projected, the goal is for the first players to cost $1,000 to $1,500. In the meantime, someone certainly might be convinced to spend $500 on a player if money were no object, but $200 to $300, or even less as Kexo said, will get you a pretty good piece of equipment whether or not you're waiting for hi def to arrive. Digital upconversion, which has its skeptics here and elsewhere, can help pass the time for those with microdisplays; it can add just a touch more sharpness under the right conditions than straight 480p. And it isn't expensive. Just make sure that it works correctly. Some of the iterations don't.

Ed

Eric Z
06-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Good points, Ed! Interesting discussion.

Anyone who cares-

Now, with HD-DVD and BluRay, you obviously need a HDTV, right? I know prices have dropped a lot of HD sets over the past few years, but there still are tons of households with standard TV! I feel the prices aren't going to be low enough for the average Joe to buy HD-DVD/BluRay for quite some time- first, the prices of HDTVs must drop more (few more years) and then the HD-DVD/BluRay prices will start coming down (few more years). I don't know how much the general public will want to get rid of their DVDs they currently have- as I write that I'm thinking the HD-DVD players will probably support both formats- would be smart to do it that way.

Also, is there a date where the only signal sent is HD? I remember it set as 12/2006, but I know that's changed a few times.

Very interesting.
Eric

edtyct
06-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Eric,

The HD players will be backward compatible, and it will be a long time before the library of HD titles catches up with the current DVDs, even longer when one of the competing formats falls by the wayside with its stable of films. Many of your favorites (I know mine) will have to wait forever.

I think we're still looking at 2006 for the transition to digital (not HD), but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ed

Breezer88888
06-21-2005, 07:04 PM
Here's something I've been wondering about regarding HD/BluRay DVD players. They will be backwards compatible for sure, but will they upconvert? My guess is why not?

Btw Ed, Thanks for pointing out that broadcasts will be digital, and unfortunately that does not necessarily mean HD, although I am cautiously optimistic.

edtyct
06-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Breeze,

Since the high def players will probably depend on digital outputs to achieve full resolution, I wouldn't be surprised if they were capable of upconverting regular DVDs to faux high def as well. But remember that the effectiveness of upconverting will depend on the kind of display involved, as well as the finesse with which the upconverting takes place. As has been pointed out many times here and elsewhere, sometimes non-upconverted component looks better, or a microdisplay does a better job at scaling than the DVD player. However, when done right, DVD player digital upconversion has an advantage over most TVs, and it can create measurably better sharpness than straight 480p, as well as eliminate D/A artifacts.

Ed

Breezer88888
06-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Hi Ed,
When you're right, you're right. Finesse is always the goal. I'm still waiting for Sony to roll out the next version of DVP-NS975. Should be aaaaannnnnnyyyyyy daaaay now.
But in the meantime, I'm pretty happy with my progressive scan player. No dollars burning a hole in my pocket over here!!
Breezer

edtyct
06-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Breezer,

I've had a 975 at my house since January; the first one I had lasted a month before refusing to operate. The firmware of the second is 1800, 1900 being the latest. It hasn't so much as hiccuped for five months. I'm convinced that Sony ironed out its problems with the locking tray and failure to read/play disks. Its upconversion on Sony HDMI microdisplays is beautiful.

Ed

Breezer88888
06-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi Ed,
Since getting the right version firmware is important, how can I tell if its the latest before I buy the unit. I guess buying over the internet might be difficult. I've seen prices drop recently on this unit.

I'm tempted by the Toshiba 5980, which includes the HDMI cable and much less expensive. But I suppose you get what you pay for...

edtyct
06-23-2005, 04:30 AM
Breezer, press top menu ,clear, and then power on the remote to bring up the Sony service menu. The opening screen should show the firmware. Is the Toshiba 5980 the one that had all the problems?

Ed

Breezer88888
06-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Hey Ed, how do you keep up with all your responses to posts and still find time to enjoy your home theater?
Thanks for the tip on Sony's firmware. I'll have to check it out in a store.
As for Toshiba 5980, I think it was the earlier model 5970 that was buggy. That might be reason enough for me to sit tight until more people drop in reviews on the 5980. On second thought, I do like the Sony more - even if I need to spring for an HDMI cable.
Breezer

edtyct
06-23-2005, 06:53 PM
Breezer, here's the deal. My antique house is currently undergoing extensive reconstruction while we still inhabit it (and, in my case, work in it), thus throwing a monkey wrench into our ability to watch movies and listen to music for recreation. I'm taking vicarious pleasure in reading about other people's A/V adventures. Since I'm an editor of a publication, I spend a lot of time as a computer jockey, anyway, and if I can contribute something, or learn something, I'm happy to do so. People's experiences and attitudes in this game never fail to fascinate and illuminate me. Like all passions and enthusiasms, A/V shows what makes us tick.

Ed

Breezer88888
06-24-2005, 05:37 AM
You know Ed, that would explain your skill in word-smithing. I'm not blowing smoke when I say that you definitely have a natural style in your phrases. And that's very much appreciated in this forum.

Anyway, no A/V adventures to contribute here. But there's always the weekend.