LaBrie-Hater Club [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LaBrie-Hater Club

MasterCylinder
06-21-2005, 04:54 AM
I think I agree with Autumn -- the time has run out for the LaBrie-Hater Club members.

Ever since SCENES FROM A MEMORY (and yes, that does include 6DOIT), DT has got the formula -- it is a sense of maturity that is reflected by reviewing all of the discs since day one.

The releases before SCENES all reflect a song or two of immature sonic samples from all of the players involved........the music is always technically excellent.......but, I think DT is now past the day that everything they do involves the "watch this" approach.

They can now say "watch this" without sticking it in our faces.......today's DT has survived a smoothing process........especially regarding LaBrie.

BTW........have you all noticed that OCTAVARIUM has a smattering of riffs, lyric lines and musical phrases ripped from previous compositions but utilized in different ways ?

BinFrog
06-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Sorry, but LaBrie is the only thing holding them back from being a great band in my opinion. The music rocks, the musicians are top notch, but he is such a cheesepuff. I saw them a couple of years ago when they toured w/ Satriani (who I went to see). I went w/ my buddy who actually runs DT's mailing list. Satriani was incredible as usual. Even better from the 3rd row ;).

DT came out and played (I think) a medley of instrumentals which were on fire. Then James came out with his leather pants and flowing hair and silk shirt and started to sing. Maybe it was the 80's glam metal voice, or the fan blowing on him causing his shirt and hair to flow in the breeze, or his "I can't quite pull off Rob Halford's stage presence but I'll try like hell" demeanor, but I just cringed every time I looked at him. I was looking at everyone else thinking "Move on!!!!"

Again, that's just my opinion.

kexodusc
06-21-2005, 05:13 AM
Sorry, but LaBrie is the only thing holding them back from being a great band in my opinion. The music rocks, the musicians are top notch, but he is such a cheesepuff. I saw them a couple of years ago when they toured w/ Satriani (who I went to see). I went w/ my buddy who actually runs DT's mailing list. Satriani was incredible as usual. Even better from the 3rd row ;).

DT came out and played (I think) a medley of instrumentals which were on fire. Then James came out with his leather pants and flowing hair and silk shirt and started to sing. Maybe it was the 80's glam metal voice, or the fan blowing on his causing his shirt and hair to flow in the breeze, or his "I can't quite pull off Rob Halford's stage presence but I'll try like hell" demeanor, but I just cringed every time I looked at him. I was looking at everyone else thinking "Move on!!!!"

Again, that's just my opinion.

Here we go again...

I disagree, I've seen these guys live 4 times now, and LaBrie continues to improve. IMO he is the icing on the cake that separtes DT from the typical boring growly metal crap and standard, over-done, flasetto whispery euro-prog singers, and is a big reason why they have millions of fanatics world-wide. I always get a kick when people post that DT should dump LaBrie and get a singer who sounds like this guy or that guy or every other act out there.

If you don't like DT or LaBrie, that's fine, but substituting anybody else in there wouldn't be an improvement at all.

Just my opinion.

MasterCylinder
06-21-2005, 05:18 AM
I can agree, to an extent, with frog's assessment.........especially the "80s metal glam" description.

All five of the members were that way in the early days because that is the context in which they were learning their trade.

I believe the arrival of Rudess has caused them to mature to a new level.......Petrucci and Myung are now at that level. Portnoy and LaBrie still reflect the occassional immaturities......and to your point, they reflect this perhaps more in stage presence than in the studio work.

My point is, go listen to OCTAVARIUM and an earlier release such as AWAKE or A CHANGE OF SEASONS and I think the maturity evolution is remarkably positive.

Dusty Chalk
06-21-2005, 09:21 AM
The last time I saw them live (SFOAM tour), LaBrie had, indeed, improved. Prior to that, I was a card-carrying member of the LBHC; he couldn't even hold a note. But I've since turned in my credentials. I think his singing and lyrics are good for the band. I mean, what would you like him to do? Warble like Christina Aguilera? NO THANK YOU! Do that experimental key changes thing like Toyah? I mean, that worked in Sunday All Over The World, but I don't think it would work in DT. I think the "hair metal" "crooning" type of singing is a perfect complement to the rest of their music.

I don't go to their concerts any more because it gets too crowded. I've seen what I need to see.

Stone
06-21-2005, 09:39 AM
I hate LaBrie.

I have no idea who/what he/she/it is, but I hate LaBrie anyway.

kingcrim05
06-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Octavarium is his best work by far. If you're still a member of the club after hearing their latest, there's something wrong in your head.

Dave_G
06-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Well,

they are opening for Megadeth here in Atlanta for crying out loud.

Guess they're a full blown metal band now, huh.

Sad.

Dave

3-LockBox
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
I have the Budakahn DVD, and was very pleased with his performance on it

Troy
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Sorry, I want to continue hating him and will do so until further notice.

Imagine DT with a singer with a voice like Ian Anderson, Jim Morrison, Roger Daltry, David Byrne, Ty Tabor, Brendan Perry or many more. A REAL singer.

Why does DT need a cheesy heavy metal screamer as a vocalist? Throw the cliches away. Set the trends and styles, don't follow them.

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2005, 10:36 AM
Sorry, I want to continue hating him and will do so until further notice.

Imagine DT with a singer with a voice like Ian Anderson, Jim Morrison, Roger Daltry, David Byrne, Ty Tabor, Brendan Perry or many more. A REAL singer.

Why does DT need a cheesy heavy metal screamer as a vocalist? Throw the cliches away. Set the trends and styles, don't follow them.

Isn't it a cliche to put in a singer that sounds like someone else, as you suggest? I think that sticking to their guns and continuing with LaBrie on vocals is throwing away the cliche.

kexodusc
06-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Isn't it a cliche to put in a singer that sounds like someone else, as you suggest? I think that sticking to their guns and continuing with LaBrie on vocals is throwing away the cliche.

The LAST thing we need is a David Byrne, Jim Morrison, or Ian Anderson knock-off.
Boring. LaBrie's opera/glam/metal/ diversity complements DT much more than these one-trick pony singers, good...as great as they were, they just won't fit.

And let's be truthfull, most LaBrie haters I know wouldn't listen to DT with any other singer anyway.

MasterCylinder
06-22-2005, 12:58 PM
Here is another bit of info for frog & troy and all other LaBrie-haters that refuse to believe this guy is evolving into an actual, productive member of Dream Theater..........

LaBrie wrote the lyrics to SACRIFICED SONS.

WOW -- nice job.

Troy
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
No, FA and Kex, you miss my point entirely.

Not someone who COPIES those other singers, rather, I mean someone as DISTINCTIVE as those singers. Someone with a voice that isn't "generic metal/hard rock singer-manĀ®", someone with a voice that's unique and ear-catching.

Clearly the rest of the band wants no singer/frontman to upstage them.

Does anyone else dig the irony that Jimmy LaBrie's name literally means "The Cheese?"

And yes Kex, I WOULD be a lot more likely to pay attention to DT if they had a good singer or, even NO singer.

kexodusc
06-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Not someone who COPIES those other singers, rather, I mean someone as DISTINCTIVE as those singers. Someone with a voice that isn't "generic metal/hard rock singer-manĀ®", someone with a voice that's unique and ear-catching.

That's funny, you just described LaBrie to me...

C-Z
06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
I haven't listened to DT in probably a year - I own 3 or 4 CDs, not even sure of the names of them, which shows my interest level.

But it also may show my ignorance. So far, I am with Troy in this discussion, but I am thinking of giving Octawhateverit'scalled a try as a test, and work hard at keeping an open mind. If this album doesn't work for me, then I'll just enjoy DT side projects, and give away my DT stuff..

Regardless of your viewpoint on this - ya gotta love that his name is "The Cheese"!

CZ

ForeverAutumn
06-22-2005, 04:19 PM
Does anyone else dig the irony that Jimmy LaBrie's name literally means "The Cheese?"

Brie is a type of cheese. It is not the word for cheese. LaBrie's name would have to be James LaFromage to be literal.

And I'm with Kex. I think that LaBrie is distinctive. I guess we just plain disagree on this one. But that's not news to either of us. :)

MasterCylinder
06-23-2005, 04:24 AM
Yup -- yer French sux too.

It's OK Autumn -- his name could be Bobby Swiss and these guys would not acknowledge the deserved credit.

BTW, an interesting piece of trivia...............

LaBrie's actual first name is Kevin. When he joined the band, they already had a Kevin (Moore) so they decided to utilize his middle name.

ForeverAutumn
06-23-2005, 06:05 AM
Yup -- yer French sux too.

It's OK Autumn -- his name could be Bobby Swiss and these guys would not acknowledge the deserved credit.

BTW, an interesting piece of trivia...............

LaBrie's actual first name is Kevin. When he joined the band, they already had a Kevin (Moore) so they decided to utilize his middle name.

Well that is an interesting piece of trivia. I didn't know that. Here's another one...did you know that LaBrie is Canadian?

Apparently, he lives in Toronto. Yet, the two times that I've seen him here, he's never mentioned it. He doesn't do the "it's good to be home" bit on stage like many bands would do, just to play up to the crowd. I guess he doesn't need to. His audience loves him...even if Troy doesn't. ;)

MasterCylinder
06-23-2005, 06:55 AM
Interesting -- a Canadian writes the lyrics to Sacrificed Sons......an American tragedy.

I don't know the origin or history of Rudess.

Portnoy, Myung and Petrucci all grew up in Long Island.

ForeverAutumn
06-23-2005, 07:15 AM
Interesting -- a Canadian writes the lyrics to Sacrificed Sons......an American tragedy.

It affected us all.

BinFrog
06-24-2005, 04:06 AM
Here is another bit of info for frog & troy and all other LaBrie-haters that refuse to believe this guy is evolving into an actual, productive member of Dream Theater..........

LaBrie wrote the lyrics to SACRIFICED SONS.

WOW -- nice job.

Ah, but I never said anything about him not being a valuable or productive member of DT. I simply said he's a cheesepuff with jesus poses worse than Scott Stapp.

progfan
06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
I just don't understand why everyone finds LaBrie so intrusive. I can understand why some find his voice "too metal" or whatever, but geez does he really stop you from enjoying the awesome chops of Portnoy/Petrucci/Rudess/Myung?? I mean, c'mon, there's plenty of great instrumental stuff going on, why focus on LaBrie?? I don't get that any more than I get those who like Rush but hate Geddy Lee's vocals.

Dusty Chalk
06-26-2005, 06:04 PM
I just don't understand why everyone finds LaBrie so intrusive. I can understand why some find his voice "too metal" or whatever, but geez does he really stop you from enjoying the awesome chops of Portnoy/Petrucci/Rudess/Myung?? I mean, c'mon, there's plenty of great instrumental stuff going on, why focus on LaBrie?? I don't get that any more than I get those who like Rush but hate Geddy Lee's vocals.Well, I do. I understand the argument that LaBrie is not up to par with the rest of the band. Especially when the vocals are so forefront. I don't necessarily agree with it, but I understand it.

Personally, I think it's a different aspect of the band. The voice is not like an instrument. It can't (typically) be used to paint abstract pictures the way all the other instruments do. So it has more to do with the songwriting aspects than it does the "chops" aspect.

BinFrog
06-28-2005, 05:42 AM
I just don't understand why everyone finds LaBrie so intrusive. I can understand why some find his voice "too metal" or whatever, but geez does he really stop you from enjoying the awesome chops of Portnoy/Petrucci/Rudess/Myung?? I mean, c'mon, there's plenty of great instrumental stuff going on, why focus on LaBrie?? I don't get that any more than I get those who like Rush but hate Geddy Lee's vocals.

For the record: I'm a Rush fanatic.