Until I get a center channel, do I use the TV? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Until I get a center channel, do I use the TV?

Adam01
06-21-2005, 04:09 AM
Thankfully my TV (Panny 42" EDTV) has onboard speakers. You can imagine that they arent great though. I will be setting up what is essentially a 4.0 system until I decide what surround system to get. Im assuming that I can run my TVs audio out to my Denon, does anyone see an issue with that?

PAT.P
06-21-2005, 04:43 AM
Thankfully my TV (Panny 42" EDTV) has onboard speakers. You can imagine that they arent great though. I will be setting up what is essentially a 4.0 system until I decide what surround system to get. Im assuming that I can run my TVs audio out to my Denon, does anyone see an issue with that?
Adam 01 Before I started Home Theater I was using my 2 channel Marantz with A/B speaker and there was no problem.Was better than using speaker from TV.Pat.P

Tarheel_
06-21-2005, 04:46 AM

A simple answer is NO. If you have an AV receiver....go into the speaker selection menu and disable the center or set center = None.

This will create a 'phantom' center using your two front speakers. This setup will be superior to using the tv's speakers. Depending on your fronts, you should still hear clear dialogue. Downside is moving from the sweet spot will decrease the phantom center's effectiveness.

You may also want to research 'toe in' on your front speakers. This has a huge effect on phantom centers.
I know, cause i went 2+ years without a center and it worked great and gave me time to save up for the right center speaker.

Eric Z
06-21-2005, 04:55 AM
i agree- you don't need to use your tv speakers at all. just have everything go through the fronts. before i had a center, i had to turn my fronts louder than normal because i couldn't hear the dialogue that clearly, however, still better than my tv speakers.

PAT.P
06-21-2005, 05:00 AM
Adam01 When you are ready to go to HT dont do the same mistake has me .I started with JVC speaker and sub ,and upgrade 2 more time the speakers for what I have know.Spent around $1000 for no reason.Better to save and buy better than to upgrade like I did.Know Im looking for a better centre channel .Pat.P

Adam01
06-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Thats the path Im going to take. I have a pair of Pinnacle PN2, bookshelfs that will serve as my fronts. I also have a cheapie pair of surrounds that I can use. I just remodeled my kitchen and family room so im pretty taped right now, but I plan to buy a nice, hi-fi surround set up at some point. I bought a Denon 1905 for starters, actually sounds nice.
It took me 7 years to complete my 2-channel set up so Im used to being patient with goodies.

So.... that being said, my plan is to run my DVD player and my Cable box into the Denon AVR, then AVR to TV with component out. I bought some good Cinemaquest cables for that. So, if I dont want any TV speakers, then I obviously wouldnt have any audio connections to the TV. Thats easy enough.