Tuesday is the hippest of days in RR land [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday is the hippest of days in RR land

Whooptee
06-20-2005, 11:03 PM
An early Tuesday thread. The past week included exactly 2 discs, both comps.

The first thing is CRSV10, which, IMO is a great, great comp and reminds me why I like hanging out here.

I wrote some thoughts early on after a few cold listens without the track listing. Here they are:

Architecture In Helsinki - Do The Whirlwind
I'm generally a guitar guy, but this is great. Very creative without being trite. Very enjoyable song.

Valina - Ship To Escape
I love this. Kind of Albini-y. A little mathy, a little noisy, kinda pretty. All in spots.

Bloc Party - This Modern Love
I've heard this one. Good stuff, though not my favorite song of theirs.

Rheostatics - The Tarleks
Cool song. I'm reminded of the episode of WKRP where the "Real Families" TV show follows the Tarlek family. Herb started out so excited about the venture, but then a series of comic mishaps ensue. Like Herb and the family going to church on sunday, but he can't seem to find it. Oh, I laughed and laughed...

Spoon - Two Sides/Monsieur Valentine
This song is cool in more ways than I can count. Freakin' greatness.

Beck - Scarecrow
I've heard this one as well. Very nice song from one of my favorite artists.

Mike Keneally & Metropole Orkest - Worrywart Spoonguy
By all rights I should hate this song, but instead I dig it. There are several sections of it that I love. When the xylophone, retro-sounding hammond and what sounds like a banjo are going and there are the bursts of alto sax. Very cool. And that ending...

Modest Mouse - Bukowski
When this song starts, I can't help but go "Wow!!" Love that start. Almost cooler than the start of that cockroach song. The rest of the song ain't half bad either. It's been rattlin' around in the old noggin off and on for the past few days.

Andrew Bird - Skin Is, My
Holy moly, what a lovely sound indeed. Pushes all of the right buttons for me. This one is just great. Really, really great. Everything about this song is right, it's got a laid back sort of cool vibe, it goes seriously off-kilter at times, it even rocks a little bit.

The Frames - Suffer In Silence
This is one of those songs I just love where there's so much more going on than is apparent on the first few listens. The chorus just keeps finding it's way into my head.

Mofro - The Wrong Side
Sorta swampy, blue-eyed soul thing. I like it.

The Blue Van - I Want You
The Kinks, I Need You. Talk about daylight robbery. Fine by me.

Secret Machines - Nowhere Again
Another one I've heard that I like a lot, these guys are good.

The Mars Volta - Umbilical Syllables
Sounds like one of the At the Drive-In dudes. I like this one a lot.

Bobby Bare Jr. - Strange Bird
My contribution. Cool little tune.

John Doe & Grant-Lee Phillips - Twin Brother
I like this song more and more with each listen. John Doe and ?, great subdued harmony, nice use of the electric guitar to fill some of the space. I like the lyrics.

John Doe & Neko Case - Hwy 5
Another wower. My favorite song on the comp right now. I hear X. They're one of the more pivotal bands in my musical life, and this one really reminds me why. [I can't believe I didn't peg Neko Case, she's such a favorite of mine.]

Antelope - Wen Ho Lee
Man, ya'll are good. Stuttering lead, call-response vocals, cold, circular; bass really weird, cool though. It drives the song.

13 & God - Perfect Speed
hmmm, this is an interesting tune; the beat is sort of krautrock-y, hip hop-y, i don't know. It's got the forcefulness of an Albini production, but it's odd. Acoustitronic thing reminds me of Granddaddy or maybe Notwist. I'm at a loss, must hear more.

The Coach & Four - In Transit
Start w/ some laid back cool guitar, builds a little intensity, gets a little messy, though not really into noise territory, singer sounds like Doug Martsch. Cool song, Built to Spill meets SY.

The other thing is an ersatz "Stuck in the 80's, Vol: ?" comp of my own devising. I stuck Davey with an unsolicited copy, and after I iron out one or two kinks I'll probably offer it up to whoever might want a copy. Here's the current track list:

XTC - Towers of London
The Feelies - The Boy With the Perpetual Nervousness
Young Marble Giants - Credit in the Straight World
Joy Division - Dead Souls
Gang of Four - What We All Want
Gun Club - Sex Beat
X - White Girl
Mission of Burma - Einstein's Day
The Fall - Cruiser's Creek
the Smithereens - Blood and Roses
Throwing Muses - Call Me
Yo La Tengo - The Forest Green
Thin White Rope - Take It Home
Eleventh Dream Day - Coercion
Beat Happening - Midnight A Go-Go
Sonic Youth - Hey Joni
Social Distortion - It's the Law
Eleventh Dream Day - Testify
The Pixies - Dead

John

Jim Clark
06-21-2005, 04:23 AM
I've been listening to discs galore but the best listens have been bootleg recordings:

Sinead
The Bloc Party-Black Sessions
ACDC -85 SBD
And the ultimate- The National. Check out this tracklist:
01 - All the Wine
02 - Murder Me Rachael
03 - Driver
04 - Lit Up
05 - Cherry Tree
06 - Baby We'll Be Fine
07 - Geese
08 - Wasp Nest
09 - Secret Meeting
10 - Abel
11 - Daughters of the Soho Riots
12 - Mr. November
13 - About Today
14 - Available
15 - Looking for astronauts
16 - Cold girl fever
17 - Slipping Husband

This thing is so hot that sometimes I had to remind myself to breath.

time to get ready for work.

jc

MasterCylinder
06-21-2005, 04:46 AM
Octavarium -- DT
6DOIT -- DT
Deadwing -- PT
In Absentia -- PT
10-disc box set of Rachmaninov piano compositions

BTW, can I get a copy of that CRSV10 disc ?

DarrenH
06-21-2005, 07:49 AM
Neil Young - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
Neil Young - American Stars 'N Bars
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Islidurs Bane - Mind Vol 1
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Pink Floyd - Animals
Boz Skaggs - Silk Degrees (on Mofi)
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (on Mofi)

Red Garland Trio - It's A Blue World
Paul Desmond and Gerry Mulligan - Two Of A Mind
Paul Desmond - Desmond Blue

Received a huge package from Jack70 yesterday. Listening to Prog Hearts - Timemasheen Vols 24 thru 27 as I type this. I love these Timemasheen comps. This must be a labor of love for you Gordon because these comps are superb in every way. Great artwork and liner notes. It all seems like a helluva lot of work especially if you're ripping from vinyl. It's very much appreciated at my end. Anyway, there's some familiar names recorded here but there's lots and lots of obscure bands which, for me, makes these collections all the more interesting. Thanks Gordon. I do believe I have them all now.

Davey
06-21-2005, 08:21 AM
And the ultimate- The National....This thing is so hot that sometimes I had to remind myself to breathe.
Heehee, that does look pretty darn hot. Is that from a link you've posted before? How's the sq? How many mb's?

Hey Whooptee, nice review of the comp! I kinda like everything on it too, but I guess most of the people that put these things together tend to feel that way. That Blue Van does sound an awful lot like early Kinks, eh? And Neko does really sound like Exene on that song. Exene and John wrote it so it is the most overtly X sounding song on the album, but overall a pretty nice listen. Real bluesy and rootsy at times. That Valina is an Albini production. They're a little Austrian band that opened for his Shellac a few years ago in Europe so wound up asking him to record their album in Chicago at his place.

I did spin your 80s comp and it is a lot of fun. I've never had a copy of the YMG original version of Straight World but always enjoyed Courtney's take on it with the Hole gang. Lots of great songs on this comp! I'd probably move around the XTC opener myself cause I think it needs a little more of a lead-in, but that just might be me. Nice collection.

Spent a lot of time myself with that excellent Paul K. and the Weathermen album from 1997 that I've talked a little about before. Decided to add some words about it to my little review site here (http://members.mailaka.net/davey/reviews.htm#Paul_K_The_Weathermen_Love_Is_A_Gas). Very nice album. Also still playing that Richard Davies Telegraph a lot. And Spoon and the Mekons and some others.

Jim Clark
06-21-2005, 09:20 AM
Heehee, that does look pretty darn hot. Is that from a link you've posted before? How's the sq? How many mb's?

[.

401.91 mb. This site uses compression-mainly flac but I've also seen some shn as well as ape.

Dimeadozen.org, not sure if that's been posted here, I know I did at Obner at one point. No MP3's in the chain is the draw at DAD. SQ is A- but I'm a pretty tough grader. It's not a SBD but it's an excellent recording. I'm gonna make a comp from all these suckers and see how that works. Rave Recs live, maybe ?

jc

Hyfi
06-21-2005, 01:31 PM
Received a huge package from Jack70 yesterday. Listening to Prog Hearts - Timemasheen Vols 24 thru 27 as I type this. I love these Timemasheen comps. This must be a labor of love for you Gordon because these comps are superb in every way. Great artwork and liner notes. It all seems like a helluva lot of work especially if you're ripping from vinyl. It's very much appreciated at my end. Anyway, there's some familiar names recorded here but there's lots and lots of obscure bands which, for me, makes these collections all the more interesting. Thanks Gordon. I do believe I have them all now.

Got mine a month or so ago. Ditto to all your comments. Cool thing is that I am spinning 23 as I read yours and replied. Spun 22 last night also. This is the 3rd playthrough and I'm finding more I like. I still can't get over how awesome that version of Please Don't Let Me Be Mis-Understood is. What a funky jam!!

Listened to Howe-Wooten-Chambers Extraction. Some Michael Manring, Tony Levin, Carl Filipiak, and William Orbit.

Hyfi

Davey
06-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Wow, only 5 responses Whooptee! I think that gives you the dubious honor of worst weekly Tuesday thread yet. Oh well, maybe there will be a huge turnout on Wednesday. And maybe I'll wake up in the morning and find monkeys flying out of my ass again :)

Still enjoyed your review, even if the turnout was kind of low this week. I'm sure it's nothing personal....they probably just had you confused with that Finch guy ;)

Finch Platte
06-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Got mine a month or so ago. Ditto to all your comments. Cool thing is that I am spinning 23 as I read yours and replied. Spun 22 last night also. This is the 3rd playthrough and I'm finding more I like. I still can't get over how awesome that version of Please Don't Let Me Be Mis-Understood is. What a funky jam!!

Listened to Howe-Wooten-Chambers Extraction. Some Michael Manring, Tony Levin, Carl Filipiak, and William Orbit.

Hyfi

I looked for HWC at Tower, but didn't know where to look. Under Howe? No. Under Wooten? No. What's the other guy's name?? (Like the Seinfeld episode w/ the 2 Tenors and "The Other Guy.") :p

Now that I think of it, which Howe are you talking about? I was thinking you were talking about Greg Howe, but now I'm confused...?

fp

Ex Lion Tamer
06-22-2005, 06:17 AM
The first thing is CRSV10, which, IMO is a great, great comp and reminds me why I like hanging out here.

You know I like it too! I like every song, well maybe not every song, but damn close. I don't get the fascination for Andrew Bird, never heard anything from him that said anymore to me than say Rufus Wainwright, and his album did nothing for me. I'm still on the fence on the Mars Volta song, the Keneally song, I hate parts of it, but I never skip it. All the others have either started at, or moved it's way (like the Rheostatics song) to the positive side of the leger. Making for a pretty freaking good comp considering the dispirate sources. Nice job Rave Recers.

And that 80s comp looks awesome, if you ever do distribute it count me in.

Other stuff I listened to....nothing new or noteworty, so I'll stop here.

-Jar-
06-22-2005, 06:28 AM
I'm so hip there's nothing hip enough for me to listen to.

Actually, I bought a new thingy.. Ghost's HYPNOTIC UNDERWORLD.

Nice album, though the first track had me a little worried. It's a "free jam" and I was thinking, as nice as this is, I really wasn't into a whole album of this stuff, but most of the rest of the album is very structured.. very psychedelic ranging from folky stuff to very proggy and kraut rocky stuff. I like it. I like it more than the Acid Mother's Temple cd I picked up a few years ago.

Can't think of much else. a couple of old mix tapes. Some cool jams by Loop and Catherine Wheel and Boo Radleys and other fun noisy stuff. I did spin Sonic Youth's DAYDREAM NATION.. been a while since I listened to that one, and enjoyed it much more than I had in a while. I think that since it overshadows SISTER and EVOL (my favorites) with most of the critics, I don't give it as much credit, but it is a fine album. You can pretty much hear the seeds of everything they did after it on there. I still think And You Will Know Us by the Trail of the Dead owes a huge debt to this album.

Oh and I did listen to Blonde Redhead's MISERY IS A BUTTERFLY .. man that is some seriously serious music, many layers of depth and mystery to uncover in this one..

-jar

Davey
06-22-2005, 09:55 AM
I don't get the fascination for Andrew Bird, never heard anything from him that said anymore to me than say Rufus Wainwright, and his album did nothing for me.
That is kind of strange since you and I do so often appreciate the same music and for me Andrew Bird is one of the best out there right now. I'm also not much of a Rufus Wainwright fan. But I am a huge fan of that Richard Davies Telegraph album that I know you also love, and that's closer to the feel I get from the latest Andrew Bird. Love em both. It is fun that music appreciation can remain so subjective, even when we so often try to objectify it with all these best of type lists, or with some of the wild-ass rave recommendations that show up on internet forums like this, or in the ezines. But Andrew Bird is pretty special and I know if you just gave the album a little time.....:)

Hehehe, just kidding. We like what we like, and you and I both know that there's so much good music out there waiting undiscovered that it gets kind of pointless sometimes to try and like something that doesn't quite tweak the right pleasure centers from the start. Admittedly though, I do enjoy the challenge of discovering what makes someone else go goo goo over a record that I don't initially care that much for, at least if it's something that I'm inclined towards, or a person whose opinion I trust :)

Mr MidFi
06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
I've been out of town/state/country/continent/hemisphere for the past couple of weeks, so the only listening I did was some iPod random shuffling in my hotel room. BUT...

I did see a truly great rock documentary film while on the plane yesterday. It's called "Festival Express," and it tells the story of a bizarre week-long tour of Canada aboard a party-train back in 1970, featuring a bunch of classic Woodstock-era bands. It's absolutely great, and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. Seriously, even if you don't really like The Band or Janis Joplin or The Dead or the Flying Burrito Bros. or Buddy Guy...this film is still well-worth watching. It's a ton of fun, and some of the performances are truly classic.

Glad to be back. Did anyone <strike>miss me</strike> notice I was gone?

newtrix1
06-22-2005, 11:35 AM
BTW, can I get a copy of that CRSV10 disc ?

If no one else has beat me to it. Tentoze was kind enough to make & send me a copy, least I can do is continue the proliferation. PM with your info.

P.S. here's my mini comp rating:

1) Architecture In Helsinki - Do The Whirlwind ?
2) Valina - Ship To Escape Y
3) Bloc Party - This Modern Love ?
4) Rheostatics - The Tarleks N
5) Spoon - Two Sides/Monsieur Valentine N?
6) Beck - Scarecrow ?
7) Mike Keneally & Metropole Orkest - Worrywart Spoonguy N
8) Modest Mouse - Bukowski Y
9) Andrew Bird - Skin Is, My Y?
10) The Frames - Suffer In Silence ?
11) Mofro - The Wrong Side N
12) The Blue Van - I Want You N
13) Secret Machines - Nowhere Again Y* (Fantastic! Favorite track,why can't more new music be like this???)
14) The Mars Volta - Umbilical Syllables Y?
15) Bobby Bare Jr. - Strange Bird Y?
16) John Doe & Grant-Lee Phillips - Twin Brother N?
17) John Doe & Neko Case - Hwy 5 N
18) Antelope - Wen Ho Lee ?
19) 13 & God - Perfect Speed ?
20) The Coach & Four - In Transit Y?

paper warrior
06-22-2005, 12:55 PM
The 5.6.7.8's- Bomb the Twist(Sympathy for the Recording Industry)
Sympathy is right. Garage rockabilly from 3 cool chicks in Japan in the tradition of Wanda Jackson I think.

Slosh
06-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Not gonna bother listing my listening 'cause no one gives a damn anyway but I did finally get around to buying SLC Punk on DVD last week. Killer flick and pretty good song selection throughout the film.

NP: some ancient DK mixtape that I recently found in a box of junk I was about to throw out :)

Pat D
06-22-2005, 03:59 PM
My wife has kept me so busy with gardening and moving stuff around the house I haven't taken the time to post much for quite a while.

Much of my listening in the last week was to different recordings of Schumann's symphonies, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, and even Mozart's Symphony No. 41 (the Jupiter Symphony).

Schuman Symphonies with conductors Bernard Haitink (Philips) and Antoni Wit (Naxos), which seem to me to be excellent. I listened to Nos. 1 and 4, Josef Krips on LP--sorry LP fans, this is smooth enough but the sound is rather tubby and compressed. Also on LP, Symphony No. 3 (Rhenish) with Otto Klemperer. There is also a very nice recording of Symphony No. 2 with Georg Tintner conducting the Nova Scotia Symphony Orchestra on Naxos.

Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition with Fritz Reiner, Claudio Abbado, and Ernest Ansermet--which is still my favorite by far.

Mozart, Symphony No. 41, (Jupiter), with Christopher Hogwood directing an original performance practice performance, and large orchestra recordings with Sir Colin Davis and Rene Leibowitz, both of which are extremely good. I think Hogwood takes the slow second movement, Andante Cantabile, too fast.

Rimsky-Korsakoff, Tsar Saltan Suite, May Night, Russian Easter Festival Overture. Ernest Ansermet, Suisse Romande Orch. on LP. Tsar Saltan is a cute piece.

Even more obscure Rimsky-Korsakoff, Suite No. 2 from the Opera "Christmas Eve." Othmar Maga, Bochum Symphony Orchestra on an old Turnabout LP. The sound on this is very lovely, warm and ingratiating, although the dynamics of the performance are limited.

Toru Takemitsu, Chamber Music. Robt. Aitken, flute, Toronto New Music Ensemble, on Naxos. Haunting music, excellent recording.

audiobill
06-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Late to the party....

Just a couple of spins this week:

The White Stripes' latest

Jim White's "Drill A Hole..." (man do I loooooooove this one!!)

Bob Marley's "Legend"

All in all a very busy week, yet filled with summertime music -- hence, the Marley.

Have a great early weekend all,
audiobill

Mike
06-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Just one big listen for me this week Kraftwerk Minimum Maximum.

I've not been around for the last couple of weeks seeing my wife and I have been otherwise occupied getting used to our new member of the family, a little girl born two weeks ago. Mother and baby doing well and settling in nicely, of course she's beautiful but I'm biased.

Anyway back to the music I did manage to get out and pick up the latest Kraftwerk album, it's a live recording but what a recording. I admit I was sceptical when I realised it was a live recording I mean Kraftwerk live what's the point, it's all pre-programmed and there's little scope for improvisation, and I'm not a fan of live recordings anyway. But it was on offer cheap so I bought it, and I'm glad I did.

Who knows if the sound has been embellished, it probably has but it's the best live recording I've ever heard. Crystal clear sound the sort of sound you just want to turn up louder and louder, with real punch in lower registers and it really captures the ambience of the various venues recorded throughout Europe last year. It's been a while since I've heard the Kraftwerk albums but these versions I would say stay pretty faithful to the originals, more so than the last Kraftwerk compilation released in 1991.

PS Got the Rave Rec 10 disc with extras (very nice) you sent along Dave it's a bit late in the day to make comments now but I enjoyed it a lot, thanks for the effort Dave I appreciate it.

Cheers
Mike

Slosh
06-24-2005, 03:25 AM
I've not been around for the last couple of weeks seeing my wife and I have been otherwise occupied getting used to our new member of the family, a little girl born two weeks ago. Mother and baby doing well and settling in nicely, of course she's beautiful but I'm biased.Hey congratulations Mike. I guess I should really be congatulating your wive though since your part in this really was finished about nine months and fifteen minutes ago :) Is she your first child? Having another British girl for our world is a good thing in my experience ;)

NP: Les Savy Fav - Rome (upside down)

Mike
06-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Hey congratulations Mike. I guess I should really be congatulating your wive though since your part in this really was finished about nine months and fifteen minutes ago

he he 15 minutes is quite a long time in my neck of the woods!

Thanks for the congrats, second child for us although there is a bit of an age gap of seven years but better late than never IMO.

Cheers
Mike

Ex Lion Tamer
06-24-2005, 04:17 AM
I've not been around for the last couple of weeks seeing my wife and I have been otherwise occupied getting used to our new member of the family, a little girl born two weeks ago. Mother and baby doing well and settling in nicely, of course she's beautiful but I'm biased.

A big CONGRATULATIONS Mike. Thank heaven for little gairls.

-Jar-
06-24-2005, 05:07 AM

Cheers
Mike

Come in here dear boy and have a cigar!

Congrats!

It seems like it's been forever since she joined us but my cute little girl is now 2 can be one tot wrecking crew, but she loves singing and drawing, so I'm really glad she's so artistic. The older one is becoming quite the swimmer, but is also very into art. I agree, thank heaven for little grrls.

-jar

ForeverAutumn
06-24-2005, 05:43 AM

Congratulations Mike! My very best wishes for a lifetime of happiness to you and your family.

audiobill
06-24-2005, 03:28 PM
I've been out of town/state/country/continent/hemisphere for the past couple of weeks, so the only listening I did was some iPod random shuffling in my hotel room. BUT...

I did see a truly great rock documentary film while on the plane yesterday. It's called "Festival Express," and it tells the story of a bizarre week-long tour of Canada aboard a party-train back in 1970, featuring a bunch of classic Woodstock-era bands. It's absolutely great, and I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. Seriously, even if you don't really like The Band or Janis Joplin or The Dead or the Flying Burrito Bros. or Buddy Guy...this film is still well-worth watching. It's a ton of fun, and some of the performances are truly classic.

Glad to be back. Did anyone <strike>miss me</strike> notice I was gone?

Hey Midfi.

Welcome back!!

A student of mine insisted that I take his DVD home and watch "Festival Express". I, of course, relented and was pleased to death. I, especially, loved the beer stop along the road (I think it was near Winnipeg??).... and the impromptu sing-alongs with Janis, Jerry and the group. In fact, that promoter should be give a Canadian Music hall of fame mention/recognition of some sort for sticking with it.

I, also, dug the cool uniforms of the Toronto police mounted units.... I remember as a child walking along the C.N.E. and seeing these cops on their horses...... the whole film experience took me way back.

Would you agree that this is a must-see for RRers??

audiobill

audiobill
06-24-2005, 03:48 PM

Anyway back to the music I did manage to get out and pick up the latest Kraftwerk album, it's a live recording but what a recording. I admit I was sceptical when I realised it was a live recording I mean Kraftwerk live what's the point, it's all pre-programmed and there's little scope for improvisation, and I'm not a fan of live recordings anyway. But it was on offer cheap so I bought it, and I'm glad I did.

Who knows if the sound has been embellished, it probably has but it's the best live recording I've ever heard. Crystal clear sound the sort of sound you just want to turn up louder and louder, with real punch in lower registers and it really captures the ambience of the various venues recorded throughout Europe last year. It's been a while since I've heard the Kraftwerk albums but these versions I would say stay pretty faithful to the originals, more so than the last Kraftwerk compilation released in 1991.

PS Got the Rave Rec 10 disc with extras (very nice) you sent along Dave it's a bit late in the day to make comments now but I enjoyed it a lot, thanks for the effort Dave I appreciate it.

Cheers
Mike
Congratulations, buddy!!

We have two girls too. Ours are both in their teens, now......... but the beauty is.......they get to be more fun each and every day. The other week I had a wonderful conversation with my oldest about Che Guevara and the South American political situation, today. Fabulous fun, man!!

Also, a bonus that you and your wife will have with your girls being 7 years, apart, is that they will be leaving the nest at intervals........ no early empty nest syndrome fory you....which is a good thing, imho. Ours are too close, at 3 years apart, if you ask me.

Enjoy your clan, man.
Bill

Dusty Chalk
06-26-2005, 09:26 AM
Just one big listen for me this week Kraftwerk Minimum Maximum...it's all pre-programmed...Not all of it -- it takes 4 guys hunched over laptops to play it (saw them recently), and the set wasn't much different when I saw them back in 1981, and they did play it all live back then, they just have "the German proclivity for engineering", meaning the groove is perfect.

But I think I understand your meaning -- 99% (other than the vocals) can be DI'd directly to tape (possibly even remaining within the digital domain), so yeah...sounds good. And obviously it was tweaked -- listen to the first little bit, where you can't hear the audience at all, then they fade the audience in (they had to explicitly mic the audience).

DiscoRage
07-02-2005, 04:17 PM
The Mars Volta - Umbilical Syllables
Sounds like one of the At the Drive-In dudes. I like this one a lot.

It is one of the At The Drive-In dudes :)

When At The Drive-In broke up, Jim Ward (vocals), Paul Hinojos (guitar) and Tony Hajjar (drums) formed Sparta, and Cedric Baxter (vocals) and Omar Rodriguez (guitar) formed The Mars Volta.

Personally, I find The Mars Volta very pretentious and deliberately artsy on their new album. Check out Sparta for a more rock based sound.