New Surround Sound Speakers?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Surround Sound Speakers??

treta
06-20-2005, 09:02 PM
What would be my best choice for a set of surround sound speakers to match-up with a Yahama HTR-5850? Hopefully something that sounds good with both movies and music.

Trying to keep the cost below $800 if possible.

It's been many years since I last shopped for audio componets and a lot has changed. :eek:

grim0003
06-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Hi, I'd say buy cerwin vegas, they have a 5-yaer warranty and can play really f------- loud. I feel like turning it up but it's 1 am. I've got a yamaha htr5760/650 and 4 12" cerwin vegas and they can kick major ----- although not the best accuratest sound repro but they do fare well, save yourself some $ and buy them from a local retailor. Otherwise, I recommend whatever the guys recommend.whether it be manis, paradigm, whaldorf, etc. Cerwins are party loudspeakers but the others are made of superior quality tweeters, etc. I'm recommending cerwins because they're darn good for the buck and can hit highs and lows really good but actually I'd say to audition the right speaker for you listen to them and then assess which one fits your needs. Cerwins are killer for ht. Good Luck.

This Guy
06-28-2005, 07:37 PM
haha no offense, but grim, are you stoned?

grim0003
06-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey now, what's wrong with cv...no really. Is it the materials used. I pushed a ----load of wttage and distortion through these and they just keep on going. What's the lowdown on cerwins are they made of crap? this guy?

This Guy
06-29-2005, 09:13 AM
i wasnt talking about the speakers

GMichael
06-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Try Crutchfield. Check out the Infinity Primus line. For every order over $400 they will send you 2 free bookshelves as well. You can place 1 order for the mains, and then another for the center & sub. You'll end up with 4 bookself speakers for free. No tax, very little frieght, full warrenty.

This Guy
06-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey GMichael. I used to live right near Newburgh. I lived across the Hudson in Beacon. I hope to go visit there sometime in the future.

GMichael
06-30-2005, 05:08 AM
This would explain your avatar.
The place is booming now. There are projects on both sides of the river to build-up/clean-up the river fronts. There's a lot more to do but it's not the run down mess that it was a few years ago. But housing is going through the roof. No pun intended. 1/2 a mil to buy an average home. I'm looking into Pa myself. Milford is a cool town. But it's building up fast as well. There were no less than 8 realtors on one block when I was there 2 weeks ago. I have appointments with 4 of them this coming weekend. Too bad though. My trip to the hi-fi stores in Weschester will have to wait. Maybe I'll have time to stop in Goshen on my way back.
When are you planning to visit?

This Guy
06-30-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm not sure when, maybe next year i can visit. I only live about 3 hours away so it shouldn't be too hard. Good to hear they're cleaning it up. When I moved here to PA and said I was from NY, they always assume I'm from the city, but I tell them I'm from Beacon and they say where the hell is that? I'm in a small college town, it's a very close town, but it's a little too close... a lot of nosey neighbors and **** talkers.

GMichael
06-30-2005, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure when, maybe next year i can visit. I only live about 3 hours away so it shouldn't be too hard. Good to hear they're cleaning it up. When I moved here to PA and said I was from NY, they always assume I'm from the city, but I tell them I'm from Beacon and they say where the hell is that? I'm in a small college town, it's a very close town, but it's a little too close... a lot of nosey neighbors and **** talkers.

Sorry to hear about your neighbors. But let me know when you're coming up. Maybe we can hit Gully's for a few brews.

Woochifer
06-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Are you looking for just the surrounds or an entire 5.1 setup?

In general, the surround speakers should voice match to the mains, and the "matching" to the receiver is far less consequential than making sure that all of the speakers in the setup voice match each other.

At an $800 budget, you got a lot of 5.1 speaker packages available, but in my listenings, they typically have big gaps between where the satellite speaker units leave up and where the subwoofer picks up.

You might want to consider using your budget for just the front three speakers for now, and add the remaining components gradually. That approach opens up the choices that you have, and it ensures that you make fewer sound quality compromises with playing back the full frequency range.

Timn8ter
07-01-2005, 09:12 PM
3 of these across the front
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Ling.htm
and these for surrounds.
http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/LingSingle.htm
Add a subwoofer and you've got a killer system for just over $1k with consistent tonality from all channels.
Read a review here.
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue20/alegrialing.htm