need new turntable...recommendations please [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need new turntable...recommendations please

audiofan007
01-02-2004, 01:10 PM
Hi All,
My old B&O Beogram (always the the weakest link in my system) tt is on it's last few LP's and am seeking advice on a new one.

I listen to mostly jazz, blues, old 70's rock like the Stones, and some classical. Other gear is: Levinson ML-1 preamp, Brytson and Audio Research amps, Magnum Dynalab Etude tuner, Cal Audio Labs CD, and ESS Amt speakers.

Budget is $1500 but could go to $2000 if that would get me something significantly better.

Your advice and recommendations are appreciated.

Audiofan007

DMK
01-02-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi All,
My old B&O Beogram (always the the weakest link in my system) tt is on it's last few LP's and am seeking advice on a new one.

I listen to mostly jazz, blues, old 70's rock like the Stones, and some classical. Other gear is: Levinson ML-1 preamp, Brytson and Audio Research amps, Magnum Dynalab Etude tuner, Cal Audio Labs CD, and ESS Amt speakers.

Budget is $1500 but could go to $2000 if that would get me something significantly better.

Your advice and recommendations are appreciated.

Audiofan007

I'd go with the VPI HW-19jr for $650 retail. You could put a $450 Rega RB300 tonearm on it and have $400-900 left for a nice moving coil cartridge such as the Benz ACE at the low end or the Ortofon Kontrapunkt as the high end. Believe me, it's a great sounding rig. I did upgrade the platter and the clamp but you can do that later if you want. Aside from the superlative sound of this rig, it's a nice looking table - much nicer than the Projects and a hell of a lot better than the Regas.

You could also go with the Music Hall MMF-9 which comes with arm and cartridge and is, I think, about $1600. It's a nice sounding table and you don't have to fritz with the ancillary stuff.

Good luck! Your enjoyment of analog is about to rise exponentially!

jbangelfish
01-04-2004, 07:40 PM
I don't doubt DMK's advice at all but I'm not a huge fan of the Rega arms. From people I talk with, they might be the most overrated of arms. I'd take a Graham Robin, Linn Ittok or my Syrinx over an RB300 for sure. Anyway, if you are buying new, you can still do very well for 1500 to 2k. I'd put as much into the cartridge as possible and I agree with the MC choices but would mention the AT OC9 as a bargain at around 300. DMK's choices are better but cost more.
There is a bargain tt getting quite a bit of attention in the Project RM4 at $500. This would give you the room for a great arm and great cartridge and I think you'd be very happy. I would not settle for any less than the Rega RB300 arm and if it were me, I'd go better. $600 or so on a cartridge, $600 or so on an arm, and $500 for tt would be $1700 and probably negotiable. I'm sure you'd be pleased. I was willing to go used, except for cartridge which was NOS, and am extremely pleased. For less than $1,000, I have a great sounding rig which would cost several thousand if all was new. My 2c.
Bill

maxg
01-19-2004, 05:55 AM
Had the RPM 4 for 3 years now. Excellent service from it - wont change. Actually cant change - I have tried a number of much higher end TT's but they dont compare to my modded out RPM4.

The 9 arm on the RPM is easily its best feature - and once you through wire it its amazing. The other thing I did was to rip out the motor and put it into a home made box - connecting via the band from the project persepctive (a $15 upgrade). This brings the noice level from the motor down to an effective zero, but - it does need some space to park the unit.

I think I have attached a picture.

BTW - buy this table sans cartridge and you could afford to add a shelter 901. Its reckoned to be one of the best in the world but it has a low output so you will need a high gain phono stage. I have this cart and never plan to buy anything else again.

soundhd
01-30-2004, 02:11 PM
I am in the same situation that you are, I have been looking around for a turntable to add to my system with a budget of around $1500 for just the table and I have chose the VPI Scout....I listened to one at a shop in the metro area and it sounded very nice.......
I am going to go with a Grado Reference Sonata Cartridge and a Quicksilver tube phono pre-amp (my system is Bryston SS). I would check out a Scout before you buy anything......