Where's Finch? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where's Finch?

Jim Clark
06-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Ahh, there you are.

Hey, could you please post the url of the joint that employs you? I'm in need of something to use as a TV stand. Currently it looks like the Salamander triple 20 may be the best thing I've seen but then again, I haven't seen everything yet.

Thanks,
jc

Dave_G
06-20-2005, 11:19 AM
Jim,

you should know he's out mountainbiking and not working!

Dave

Finch Platte
06-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Ahh, there you are.

Hey, could you please post the url of the joint that employs you? I'm in need of something to use as a TV stand. Currently it looks like the Salamander triple 20 may be the best thing I've seen but then again, I haven't seen everything yet.

Thanks,
jc

About the only thing on our (outdated) site that would help would be the links to manufacturers.

I.e.: http://www.macofurniture.net/PINE/HE/index_7.html or for a corner: http://www.macofurniture.net/PINE/HE/index_9.html

Altho that company's in Oregon. Probably wouldn't be able to get it to you w/ out massive shipping fees.

Here's Quality Craft. Again, only on the West coast. http://www.qualitycraftusa.com/

Whitewood is closer to you. http://www.whitewood.net/

I know- not much help. What features are you looking for? Any particular type of wood?

fp (www.woodshedstockton.com)

Jim Clark
06-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Red(ish) type wood. Oak, cherry, or maple, something along those lines. I know that's heavily stain dependent and unfinished works out best. Thanks for the links. Ideally I'd like to be able to display a 55 inch lcd rear projection on top and have room for a big center channel speaker. Bonus points for being able to also house an amp, preamp, cable box and DVDP. Haven't seen to many things other than the triple 20 and DIY that come close to the pic. I have in my brain.

Thanks man.

jc

Finch Platte
06-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Red(ish) type wood. Oak, cherry, or maple, something along those lines. I know that's heavily stain dependent and unfinished works out best. Thanks for the links. Ideally I'd like to be able to display a 55 inch lcd rear projection on top and have room for a big center channel speaker. Bonus points for being able to also house an amp, preamp, cable box and DVDP. Haven't seen to many things other than the triple 20 and DIY that come close to the pic. I have in my brain.

Thanks man.

jc

...would be John Greenleaf, aka Whittier. They don't have a website, but there are hundreds of sites selling the stuff because it comes in kits (shippable). Most of their stuff is alder w/ birch ply, and if you're handy with a couple of basic hand tools, it's fairly easy to put together. Plus, you can stain it before you assemble, which usually makes it less of a chore.

Their customer service is top-notch. If you break anything or ruin it in some way, they'll ship you parts free.

Can you sketch your idea & post it?

fp

Jim Clark
06-20-2005, 03:40 PM
been a long time since I've tried to post a pic, hope I get it done. What I like about this is that it's customizeable. This is the basic idea but it's about 1300 bucks. I like having room for a center channel and the rest of the gear as well. I'd get the cherry finish, glass doors on the sides, no door or drawer in the center. Maybe the perforated steel on the sides to help with keeping things from heating up so much? Seems like a much neater presentation than having a seperate tv/audio stand but that's a personal taste issue.

I'll look for some of that Whittier product as well, thanks for the tip.

jc

Finch Platte
06-20-2005, 03:59 PM
been a long time since I've tried to post a pic, hope I get it done. What I like about this is that it's customizeable. This is the basic idea but it's about 1300 bucks. I like having room for a center channel and the rest of the gear as well. I'd get the cherry finish, glass doors on the sides, no door or drawer in the center. Maybe the perforated steel on the sides to help with keeping things from heating up so much? Seems like a much neater presentation than having a seperate tv/audio stand but that's a personal taste issue.

I'll look for some of that Whittier product as well, thanks for the tip.

jc

Whittier has a similar one, but it has 2 doors instead of 3. Not quite as nice, but cheaper. Alder/birch stains up nicely, if that's any console-(pun intended)ation. :D

It's here: http://www.popsfurniture.com/hothgr.html (just the center console).

fp

Jim Clark
06-20-2005, 06:16 PM
I've had good luck with alder and while I'm not a craftsman, I do a heck of a job finishing/refinishing furniture so that kind of thing appeals to me. The problem with that particular piece is the lack of placement options for a huge old honkin' center channel speaker. That seems to be a fairly common oversight of most of the design options available. These types of TV's are becoming the norm. so I'd expect the manufacturers to catch up fairly soon.

Thanks for your help Finchie, I appreciate it. I'd send you a comp, but , well, you know :rolleyes:

jc

JDaniel
06-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Jimbo - just get a couple or 4 cinder blocks, some 2"X12" lumber, and some spray paint in any color that suits your fancy. C'mon, you're a down-home kinda guy.

Besides - don't trust Finchy. Ever. ;)

JDaniel

ps - nice looking piece of furniture there

Finch Platte
06-20-2005, 08:29 PM
I'd send you a comp, but , well, you know :rolleyes:

jc

LOL :D

Yeah, I know. You guys all have terrible tastes.

Couldn't you suspend the center speaker from the ceiling above the telly, or have arms coming out from the wall to a platform it would sit on? That would be kind of cool.

Ok, I give up now. ;)

fp

Jim Clark
06-21-2005, 11:16 AM
Noooo! That center cabinet only measures 18 inches from post to post. My center channel is 23. Do'h, maybe now I know why it's called a triple 20, guess wall to wall it's 20 inches. Never even thought about that.

jc

poneal
06-21-2005, 12:01 PM
most of that cost being the wood. If you don't have a woodshop, then maybe you can hookup with someone that will allow you to use there equipment. I mean who wants to spend $1300 when you could build it yourself and save a ton IMHO.

Jim Clark
06-21-2005, 02:12 PM
most of that cost being the wood. If you don't have a woodshop, then maybe you can hookup with someone that will allow you to use there equipment. I mean who wants to spend $1300 when you could build it yourself and save a ton IMHO.

Where are you? -Texas- damn!

Dood, I never even took woodshop. All the tools in the world aren't going to make a difference!

jc

Slosh
06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
TV schmeevee. Read a book instead :)

newtrix1
06-22-2005, 01:47 PM
and make sure it's a hi-def widescreen book!