Problems with an Onkyo receiver [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Problems with an Onkyo receiver

Bolo240sx
06-20-2005, 08:31 AM
The receiver in question is an Onkyo TX-DS939. The problem I have is with the left rear channel and the center channel cutting out randomly. The left rear would completely go out but the center would only decrease in volume. If I turn the receiver off and on they would start playing again, but not all the time. I have tried switching speakers and cables around but the problem still exists. I think the problem is internal.

So can anyone give me an idea of what could be wrong? Can this receiver still be repaired?

Thanks for any help.

Worf101
06-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Do a little more testing and determine...

1. If the problem occurs with all media, DVD, CD, Radio, Cable.....

2. See if it's specific to your DVD player if only happening during movies.

3. Check cable connections and clean with one of the various "commercial" cleaners.

I think the 939 was a "great receiver" in it's day but I really don't think it's worth repairing at this juncture. You can get decent feature laden receivers out there for $500 to $900 dollars U.S. that will more than fill the bill. However if you can get the 939 repaired and upgraded to give you DTS etc... then I'd consider getting it repaired if you can keep the cost below $500.00.

Da Worfster :cool:

Bolo240sx
06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Worf,

The problem seems to occur no matter what source is played. Could it be something as simple as dust accumulating inside the case? Or a loose wire somewhere inside.

I would like to buy a new receiver, but since I got this one as a gift I would rather keep it and get it repaired.

Thanks for your help.

Woochifer
06-20-2005, 05:15 PM
I think that particular model is old enough to still have a lot of analog switches and controls in the signal path. Wouldn't hurt to take the lid off (unplugged of course) and blast some of the circuit connections with some compressed air. You should also do the same with whatever controls and buttons are on the front fascia on the receiver. A lot of these types of symptoms with older receivers has to do with worn or shorted out or simply dirty switches and controls.

Otherwise, you will have to have a professional look at it. At the very least, they will likely just clean the contacts and switches and hope that it's good enough. Otherwise, if you have to physically swap out any parts, then you'll have to decid whether o rnot it's worth keeping your receiver or if it's time to get a newer unit.

Worf101
06-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Worf,

The problem seems to occur no matter what source is played. Could it be something as simple as dust accumulating inside the case? Or a loose wire somewhere inside.

I would like to buy a new receiver, but since I got this one as a gift I would rather keep it and get it repaired.

Thanks for your help.

Try cleaning it yourself with some compressed air and alike, then haul it down to a pro and see if he/she and repair it cheap. If so, they'll subtract the cost of the diagnosis from the repair bill. Also see if Onkyo has a DTS upgrade for the 939 that you could have done at the same time.

Da Worfster
:cool: