Can Any Receiver Get Fixed for $150 or less? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can Any Receiver Get Fixed for $150 or less?

EdwardGein
06-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Would appreciate some wisdom on this. You're free to bid on this item on Ebay I won't get ticked off. Anyway, if someone offers a receiver like this Denon 3802 on Ebay and says it won't power up or goes into Stand by (I've listed the complete description below) can these things always get fixed for say $150 or less & is thus worth buying for say $100? Curious to hear your opinions on this subject? Thanks

The Ebay Description:

PLEASE NOTE!!! I AM SELLING THIS ITEM "AS-IS" CONDITION. You are bidding on a used (still in excellent condition) but FAILED DENON AVR-3802 Surround Sound 7.1 Channels A/V Receiver. I DO NOT have the remote control or the owner's manual. Here's the scope. I believe this unit has a POWER FAILURE. For some reason, it won't power up and if it does (once awhile) it goes into "STAND-BY" or "Power Protective" mode right away. Before this power problem occur, all the functions work great. Now there's just no power and most important no sign of burning. I have NEVER open the unit nor did I sent it out for repair. This could be a great buy for those who know how to fix electronic problem. This could also be a great buy for those buyers who want to sent it for repair and save $$$. I have no patience for repairs therefore I'm selling this unit.

poneal
06-19-2005, 07:20 PM
You could spend a lot more than that becasue EE labor is pretty expensive plus they double or triple the cost of the parts, etc. If you don't know how to fix it then I wouldn't get it because it will probably cause you much grief. Harman Audio on Ebay sells Z stock items with the original man. warranty. I would recommend you get one of those. Regards, Paul.

EdwardGein
06-19-2005, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the advice

kfalls
06-20-2005, 05:07 AM
It could be well worth the $100-$150 and have it repaired. If the seller can be trusted and is correct that nothing has "burned" there may be just a failed component. With it going into standby, my guess would be a problem with either the power supply, or the output transistors. If the outputs went I'd have expected smoke or smell, so the power supply is probably the best bet. The problem could be just a shorted capacitor, bad regulator, or even a fuse.

If I repaired receivers as a hobby I'd be interested, but can't justify the expense if it can't be fixed cheaply. With the bench fee, time to troubleshoot, parts/labor and shipping you'll probably spend a minimum of $250 on top of the initial cost. So you'll have to determine if it's worth $400+ for a repaired receiver. I believe the Denon 3802s retailed for around $800-$1000. This sounds like more of a project for a hobbiest with electronic skills who can use the spare parts for other projects if the receiver can't be repaired.

EdwardGein
06-20-2005, 07:43 AM
I know I can get an excellent used Denon 3801 or 3802 between $350 and $410 with shipping that includes the manual and remote & have done this and am very happy. It therefore doesn't make any sense for me to invest in a broken one that I'll then have to spend another $250 or so on. Thanks for your advice.

recoveryone
06-20-2005, 08:52 AM
I guess the big question would be, if you really knew what was wrong with the unit to start. I'm a big Ebay fan, but I been burn on a few items also. And buying a unit that has problems is a big gamble. Yes the labor is the biggest expense, but if the unit needs a complete overhual then your the one getting burned.

EdwardGein
06-20-2005, 09:21 AM
The only used stuff I get on Ebay is stuff that the seller describes as very good quality ot above, has an excellent feedback reputation and the savings on the product is huge from buying it new or it is hard to find either new or old. I got my Denon 3801 that way and am extremely happy- cost me $450 including shipping and it retailed for $1200 plus tax plus shipping new. I guess I've become greedier and thought maybe I can save even further bucks by getting a broken one and getting it fixed, but based what you guys are saying it isn't worth the cost or the trouble as I can get a full working used one for just a few dollars more. Thanks for the advice.