You Can Call Me Leisure.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : You Can Call Me Leisure....

audiobill
06-18-2005, 07:27 AM
Saturday morning, here, in overcast southern Ontario and I'm just in full leisure mode....

Listening to The Beutiful South's "Painting It Red" and thoroughly digging it. I haven't listened to this for at least two years.

Love the quirky lyrics and exellent harmonies.

Two of my favourite lyrics are: "The rein of plastic may replace this rein of gold where the silverware's not expensive .... in the kingdom of the Tupperware Queen."
and
"Don't feel ever sorry for the dicks."

The music, sans lyrics, is very elegant and relaxing.......perfect for Saturday mornings (or any morning for that matter).

So........ What are U listening to this weekend??

audiobill

Davey
06-18-2005, 07:45 AM
http://www.saltywater.co.uk/memorabilia/images/badges-avancepatch.gif

Spinning "It Ended On An Oily Stage" right now which just changed to "Be Gone" from the latest BSP disc Open Season.

Slosh
06-18-2005, 07:49 AM
Saturday morning, here, in overcast southern OntarioWow, it's Saturday morning here too! What are the chances?
So........ What are U listening to this weekend??Me? I'm listening to the best album of 2005, Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth. Yeah, I know it's only June but I also know there will be no albums released during the remained of this year that'll surpass this one, and there will be some good ones from the likes of The Fruit Bats, Super Furry Animals, and Built To Spill. Actually 2005 has been shaping up quite nicely with new favorites from old favorites like The Decemberists and Andrew Bird. And Gimme Fiction really got under my skin although I suspect A Series Of Sneaks will always be my favorite Spoon (I never heard the debut though).

NP: "Post-Paint Boy" (which sounds like it was lifted from the Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain sessions)

audiobill
06-18-2005, 07:54 AM
http://www.saltywater.co.uk/memorabilia/images/badges-avancepatch.gif

Spinning "It Ended On An Oily Stage" right now which just changed to "Be Gone" from the latest BSP disc Open Season.

Looks like "Bunny Power" to me.

Is it as good as their last two discs? Indeed, it was u I credit with introducing me to BSP -- what a creatively engaging bunch of musicians!!

"You look a younger more beutiful version of death
But I'm scared to hold you close or smell youir breath
Now your body's facing east and your head is west
And you can call me leisure and I can call you rest"

The Beautiful South

Cheers,
audiobill

Davey
06-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Looks like "Bunny Power" to me.

Is it as good as their last two discs? Indeed, it was u I credit with introducing me to BSP -- what a creatively engaging bunch of musicians!!
I only know of their debut and this one, but I guess they do have some EPs? How you would rate it I guess depends heavily on what aspects of their sound you like the most. I was partial to that Pere Ubu meets David Bowie part of the debut and so this new one has taken a long time to really get under my skin because it plays more to their Echo & The Bunnymen side. Reminds me a little of latter day Pere Ubu when they released Worlds In Collision at the beginning of the 90s. Showed a much softer side with more than a little resemblence to some of that epic and atmospheric british sound. Great cover too. Some thought it was a misstep, but I liked it a lot because it still had the quirky lyrics and oddball themes, but in a more melodic package maintaining the pop oriented sound they were then moving into, coupled with the slick production. Kind of brought the two sides of Pere Ubu into one album. Fun and quirky, but accessible to all. And one of the BSP singers sound very much like David Thomas. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it. One of my favorites this year for sure. But also one of the growingest (that's music listener lingo, in case you didn't know) albums for me in recent times.

Beautiful South comes up with some oddball themes too, eh?

:)

ForeverAutumn
06-18-2005, 08:47 AM
So far this morning I've listened to...

Klaatu - Hope
Finn Brothers - S/T
Dream Theater - Octavarium (I'm working on my review now, to be posted later)

tentoze
06-18-2005, 09:14 AM
I have that Beautiful South, courtesy of my kid Unklebob, and don't think I've ever listened to it. Mebbe will remedy that today.

Been spinning a MASSIVE amount of Nina Simone this AM from the 2 cd Anthology- The Coldpix Years. This is just about perfect music for a desert Saturday morning.

Davey
06-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm listening to the best album of 2005, Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth.
You're beginning to sound like a SM fanboy, Sloshy. I don't trust you...I'm gonna wait until Ex Lion Tamer gives it the thumbs up ;)

Last I heard there is no Built To Spill this year. They say early next year. Seems like kind of a weak year so far to me. Some great albums, but not many. Guess I'm just not as into the new music scene as in some recent times. Not as much time to listen anymore. Been really enjoying the latest Electreane album, but it's definitely not a sound for everyone. Lots of John Cage type experimentation and space that I like.

Slosh
06-18-2005, 10:32 AM
You're beginning to sound like a SM fanboy, Sloshy. I don't trust you
Wrong! It really is that good :D

'Course I suppose I sounded like a fanboy for Castaways & Cutouts and Inches and The Mysterious Production Of Eggs so what do I know? :)

MindGoneHaywire
06-18-2005, 10:33 AM
It's a weak year to me also, but that's in spite of the Beck rec, Ray LaMontagne, Madeleine Peyroux, and a couple of others. I thought the Springsteen rec wasn't bad. But I thought last year was great, so most years I think would seem weak immediately afterward by comparison.

Yesterday I ended up with another huge haul of CDs, a ton of reissues included therein. Lots of jazz titles that I'm hoping will live up to their promise. So I'm struggling to throw on whatever looks good before it gets shipped out. So far today, two Alvin Lee reissues from the mid-70s (not so great, last year's rec was superior), the Melvins demos from 1983, Atomic 7's hyper-speed surf (a keeper), Rosetta West (not a keeper), and next up are the solo rec by Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers and the most recent Ry Cooder rec, a concept album about the neighborhood in Los Angeles that was razed to facilitate the construction of Dodger Stadium some 45 years ago. Then some Roseanne Cash reissues, a Stiv Bators rec, Family Guy Live In Vegas, the String Quartet Tribute to Mars Volta, Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, the Eels, new Mike Doughty, new Knitters rec, new Paul Anka, a 4-CD comp called "Children of Nuggets" with some post-60s retro psychedelia...looks like I've got a full day ahead of me.

Swish
06-18-2005, 11:57 AM
I gotta say this is a pretty nice ceedee so far after only 2 spins. It''s certainly different, but not so much that it's a total departure from any reasonable expcetations (what the h<a>ell does that mean?). The instrumentation itself is quirky; bouzouki, theremin, bowed vibes, vibraphone, glockenspiel, accordion, tuba and tenor triangle, along with guitar, bass, percussion, violin trumpet, and piano. Some of the tracks remind me of the Decemberists tinged with Dead Can Dance, but I'm using that desciption loosely. The mood is fairly somber throughout as is evident by the title track and other songs like Dearly Departed, We're Leaving, Too Tired, and This Place is Haunted, and most of the tracks have a strong European feel.

Swish

NP: Ariel Pink - Haunted Graffiti 2

audiobill
06-18-2005, 12:37 PM
Wow, it's Saturday morning here too! What are the chances?Me? I'm listening to the best album of 2005, Stephen Malkmus - Face The Truth. Yeah, I know it's only June but ).

NP: "Post-Paint Boy" (which sounds like it was lifted from the Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain sessions)

Well, now my interest is fully piqued!!

Are you familiar with Pavement's Wowee Zowee?? If so, does Stephen's new work have any of that folky fun??

Sounds like a winner, to me.

Cheers,
audiobill

audiobill
06-18-2005, 12:42 PM
I gotta say this is a pretty nice ceedee so far after only 2 spins. It''s certainly different, but not so much that it's a total departure from any reasonable expcetations (what the h<a>ell does that mean?). The instrumentation itself is quirky; bouzouki, theremin,

Swish

NP: Ariel Pink - Haunted Graffiti 2

Well this new-to-me disc I need to explore. I absolutely love bouzouki music.

As a matter of fact, last weekend we went to "Greek Night" at one of the small towns east of us, Newcastle, and got into some serious Greek dancing, with live bouzouki music and loud plate breaking. A ton of fun.

I take it it's the quirkiness that gives this band its appeal??

Cheers,
audiobill

audiobill
06-18-2005, 12:43 PM
It's a weak year to me also, but that's in spite of the Beck rec, Ray LaMontagne, Madeleine Peyroux, and a couple of others. I thought the Springsteen rec wasn't bad. But I thought last year was great, so most years I think would seem weak immediately afterward by comparison.

Yesterday I ended up with another huge haul of CDs, a ton of reissues included therein. Lots of jazz titles that I'm hoping will live up to their promise. So I'm struggling to throw on whatever looks good before it gets shipped out. So far today, two Alvin Lee reissues from the mid-70s (not so great, last year's rec was superior), the Melvins demos from 1983, Atomic 7's hyper-speed surf (a keeper), Rosetta West (not a keeper), and next up are the solo rec by Patterson Hood of the Drive-By Truckers and the most recent Ry Cooder rec, a concept album about the neighborhood in Los Angeles that was razed to facilitate the construction of Dodger Stadium some 45 years ago. Then some Roseanne Cash reissues, a Stiv Bators rec, Family Guy Live In Vegas, the String Quartet Tribute to Mars Volta, Sufjan Stevens' Illinois, the Eels, new Mike Doughty, new Knitters rec, new Paul Anka, a 4-CD comp called "Children of Nuggets" with some post-60s retro psychedelia...looks like I've got a full day ahead of me.

You've got some serious listening to do.
Let us know how that "Children of Nuggets" collection pans out. I have the original "Nuggets" on Lp and it's one of my favourites in my collection.

Now git listening you crazy musci guy you!!
audiobill

audiobill
06-18-2005, 12:47 PM
I have that Beautiful South, courtesy of my kid Unklebob, and don't think I've ever listened to it. Mebbe will remedy that today.

Been spinning a MASSIVE amount of Nina Simone this AM from the 2 cd Anthology- The Coldpix Years. This is just about perfect music for a desert Saturday morning.

Nina Simone in the desert..........now, that's sweet.

I'm in the process, tentoze, of planning a 10-day escape to Arizona, during March 2006.

Can't wait!! We already booked time in Tuscon and in the southend of the Grand Canyon.

Cheers,
Bill

audiobill
06-18-2005, 12:55 PM
So far this morning I've listened to...

Klaatu - Hope
Finn Brothers - S/T
Dream Theater - Octavarium (I'm working on my review now, to be posted later)

Hey, FA.

What dou u think of the backwoods shenanigans re: Live8's venue, here in Ontario. No wonder we have problems!! Ottawa passes up an opportunity to show off our beautiful brownsotne and granite parliament buildings; Toronto is also anal; and Barrie is just frothing to get its PR profile out to the rest of the world.

Last summer, for instance, my family and I had a perfect summer eve's experience in Vienna. We got to see Seji Osawa conduct Beethoven's 5th, on a huge screen, perched infront of their parliament buildings, which were beautifully backlit. Also, they had 56 concession booths serving food from 40 different countries, from around the world (as a wink to the Olympic games taking place). Now, .........why can't our politicians and their PR tourist people get their acts together. What a missed opportunity for us all.

Cheers,
audiobill

ForeverAutumn
06-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Hey, FA.

What dou u think of the backwoods shenanigans re: Live8's venue, here in Ontario. No wonder we have problems!! Ottawa passes up an opportunity to show off our beautiful brownsotne and granite parliament buildings; Toronto is also anal; and Barrie is just frothing to get its PR profile out to the rest of the world.

Last summer, for instance, my family and I had a perfect summer eve's experience in Vienna. We got to see Seji Osawa conduct Beethoven's 5th, on a huge screen, perched infront of their parliament buildings, which were beautifully backlit. Also, they had 56 concession booths serving food from 40 different countries, from around the world (as a wink to the Olympic games taking place). Now, .........why can't our politicians and their PR tourist people get their acts together. What a missed opportunity for us all.

Cheers,
audiobill

That sounds like a wonderful memory of Vienna.

What do I think about Live-8? I think that the rest of the world is going to say WHERE? And that come July 3, no-one will remember the Barrie show.

If Ottawa or Toronto can't accomodate, they should be looking at Vancouver, Montreal or Quebec City. Can you imagine Live 8 in Stanley Park? With the Pacific Ocean as the backdrop? Now that would be an event.

NP: The Tea Party - Seven Circles

Jim Clark
06-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Call me Mr. Rough Day.

9:00 BB practice-by 9:15 I can't even throw. My shoulder is aching from the rotator cuff to my elbow. All my coaches have been on vacation, out of town for work, or schedule conflicts with teams they manage. In the last week I've done three practices on my own and today the reality kicked in. Got home and put on the ice bag after downing a hydrocodon from a stash I had ratholed after a surgery and found I didn't need them then. That was good thinking on my part, for a change.

Was ready to go to the hifi store later in the day and the wife calls and says the lovely Dodge Caravan won't start. She had taken the youngest to football registration and was now stranded in the parking lot. Grabbed my jumper cables and went to the rescue. Jump wouldn't do it-that battery was dead dead. Piled all of us in the Gorgeous Ford Ranger and headed off to the nearest Sams. Enroute, the Ranger's "check engine" light came on. Great. Went ahead and bought two batteries. The guy said it was a 2 hour wait to have them swap batteries. Great. I borrowed the tools and did it myself. Stopped at a nearby Home Depot and bought an adjustable wrench and went to save the Dodge. Got to the parking lot at the football fields and the gates were locked! Well ***** me. Had the wife and kid exit the truck and proceeded down a lengthy embankment. Kinda touchy for a few moments, they really don't want people there but criminy, what was I supposed to do? Finally got the battery changed and prayed that this was really the issue, and it was. Drove around looking for a way to get both vehicles out of the locked lot and found a path that wasn't too bad and managed to do it without rolling either vehicle. Now I'm back here wondering what's next. God I hope we're having something decent for supper.

Oh yeah, and today I played:
Bloc Party-The Black Sessions- 15 awesomely recorded live tracs!
Pet Shop Boys-Very. A classic or only a synthpop classic?
Pink Floyd-The Wall Live-HDCD via newtrix-thanks again man. Hoping that I get The National live today which in the end would make it a very good day after all.

jc

Dusty Chalk
06-18-2005, 02:57 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000005OPU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Weird intermediate period album from Haujobb -- very sparse and minimal, but you know what? It really does grow on me. I'm digging it.

Slosh
06-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, now my interest is fully piqued!!

Are you familiar with Pavement's Wowee Zowee?? If so, does Stephen's new work have any of that folky fun??

Sounds like a winner, to me.
No purely acoustic songs here but a few slower (but not too slow) tracks. More like Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain in a few places but not like Pavement per se beyond that Malkmus guitar and voice, and that can't be helped ;)

It is a winner and different enough from Pavement to stand apart on its own. I can't tell you how good it is. This is something you just have to hear to understand :)

Pavement wishes they made a record this good!

Swish
06-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Well this new-to-me disc I need to explore. I absolutely love bouzouki music.

As a matter of fact, last weekend we went to "Greek Night" at one of the small towns east of us, Newcastle, and got into some serious Greek dancing, with live bouzouki music and loud plate breaking. A ton of fun.

I take it it's the quirkiness that gives this band its appeal??

Cheers,
audiobill

But just enough. I smell a request for an evaluation disc, eh Bill???

Swish

newtrix1
06-19-2005, 05:47 AM
It's a weak year to me also, but that's in spite of the Beck rec, Ray LaMontagne, Madeleine Peyroux, and a couple of others.

I listened to Madeleine Peyroux's Careless Love this weekend as well. Perfect album for leisurely listening! I haven't mentioned this beautiful album here before, since I didn't think recc'ing a Billie Holiday knock-off artist would pique much interest, however Ms. Peyroux (pay-roo) pulls it off with class, dignity, and a voice that's eerily simlar to Billie Holiday's. Nice call Jay!

audiobill
06-19-2005, 08:25 AM
But just enough. I smell a request for an evaluation disc, eh Bill???

Swish

Smells like.......bouzouki spirit. If you happen to get a moment....that'd be great.

Cheers, Bill

audiobill
06-19-2005, 08:32 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000005OPU.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Weird intermediate period album from Haujobb -- very sparse and minimal, but you know what? It really does grow on me. I'm digging it.

Peter:

Where have I been for the last 12 years?? According to allmusicguide this group has been around since 1993!! Your mention in this thread is the first I heard of them.
Allmusic also says: " (their latest disc) serves as a reasonable introduction to the artists as well, a rare accomplishment for a remix release. All this makes Matrix a release that stands equal to its lofty progenitor, rather than beneath it."

Always looking into new music,
audiobill

Stone
06-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Not so much listening this weekend so far, but I did listen to the following:

Githead - Headgit
Colin Newman's latest band/"project" and on first listen, it didn't do much for me at all. I found it to be pretty boring.

Bearsuit - Cat Spectacular
This is indie pop generally, but kind of all over the place. Recently released in the US on a local Grand Rapids label, I was really looking forward to this one, but it seems like they are trying too hard, and the songwriting isn't all that strong. It does have the potential to grow on me, though so we shall see after I listen to it a few times.

The Comas - Conductor
Now this stuff is good. A little more rocking than I expected, and that's a good thing. I'd been looking for this album for a while and finally found it in the used bin yesterday.

NP: Phil Ochs - Greatest Hits
Any fans out there? Much of this album sounds like John Denver to me (not a good thing), sprinkled with outright classics like "Chords of Fame" and "Gas Station Women."

MindGoneHaywire
06-19-2005, 11:45 AM
You've got some serious listening to do.
Let us know how that "Children of Nuggets" collection pans out. I have the original "Nuggets" on Lp and it's one of my favourites in my collection.

Now git listening you crazy musci guy you!!
audiobill

Yeah, I've spent most of the last day or so trying to sort the wheat from the chaff in this pile here that I don't want taking up space anymore that will likely soon be taken up by another pile of stuff I don't know what to do with. The Children Of Nuggets thing, I put it in & Musicmatch didn't recognize it. I don't want to spend the time typing in every artist & title so that one's going to have to wait. There's a bunch of stuff on there that I recognize--think Hoodoo Gurus, Fuzztones, the Cynics, Chesterfield Kings, Fleshtones, even the Flamin' Groovies...along with stuff I wouldn't have expected like the Soft Boys, the Posies, the Bevis Frond, the Smithereens, Dream Syndicate, Teenage Fanclub, & Inspiral Carpets...but then there are some unexpected surprises like the Dukes Of Stratosphere, DMZ, the Vipers, Laika & The Cosmonauts, the Cramps, & the Lime Spiders. Actually looks like more of a mixed bag than I would've expected. But Rhino usually does good-to-great comp work & I am psyched to eventually get into that one.

There have been a few I've been mildly interested in, like Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, the Spooky Daly Pride, Luminous, the most recent Hot Hot Heat, the Pleased, & some jazz & world titles from Youssou N'Dour, Lila Downs, Patrizia Scascitelli, Benny Green & Russell Malone, Joey DeFrancesco with Jimmy Smith, & even Skye Sweetnam. But most of these, as well as a pile with names I don't see the point in mentioning, I just don't have the time to listen to all the way through. These, though, I do want to hear properly. And hopefully I will, though for some the prospects are, realistically, dubious. Especially the jazz titles, which are pleasant, but none of them are earthshattering in any way & I'll almost always end up reaching for the older stuff when that's what I want to hear.

The Paul Anka is of course a joke, but I'll have to listen to it side-by-side with Pat Boone's similar offering to see which one is better. Weird thing, this is something I really want to do--when I have a lot of time on my hands. Certainly not now.

But there has been one so far that's been a very pleasant surprise--the Sights. Their self-titled disc from a couple of months ago is right up my alley. I didn't do a search on this, anybody hear it? Great stuff. Definitely a keeper.

audiobill
06-19-2005, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I've spent most of the last day or so trying to sort the wheat from the chaff in this pile hereBut there has been one so far that's been a very pleasant surprise--the Sights. Their self-titled disc from a couple of months ago is right up my alley. I didn't do a search on this, anybody hear it? Great stuff. Definitely a keeper.

Hey, MindGoneHaywire,

Sounds like the Sights' s/t disc is their third album, proper. I was just reading up on them on a few sights and there are some comparisons to Badfinger made. FYI, I also did a search on AMG and this is what they have to say:

"This is how the Sights make rock & roll. They're restless in every song, pushing fluttering vocal harmonies into blistering psychedelic guitar and melodic left turns on the keys, writing what seems like a warm late-'60s ballad ("Waiting on a Friend"), but then dropping its punch line — "I don't care about what happens to you". It makes for a wildly unpredictable album, but one that succeeds mightily on real, warm-blooded songwriting instead of easy-to-please hooks. (No mistake though, it has those too.) He was no slouch on 2002's Got What We Want, but Baranek's voice has somehow grown stronger. The greater breadth in Sights' songcraft not only gives him room to scream, it lets him show off some wickedly cynical lyrics."

Sounds like you've got a RaveRecs discovery on your hands.
Thanks for giving us all the hedsup.

Cheers,
audiobill

audiobill
06-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Call me Mr. Rough Day.

9:00 BB practice-by 9:15 I can't even throw. My shoulder is aching from the rotator cuff to my elbow. All my coaches have been on vacation, out of town for work, or schedule conflicts with teams they manage. In the last week I've done three practices on my own and today the reality kicked in. Got home and put on the ice bag after downing a hydrocodon from a stash I had ratholed after a surgery and found I didn't need them then. That was good thinking on my part, for a change.

Was ready to go to the hifi store later in the day and the wife calls and says the lovely Dodge Caravan won't start. She had taken the youngest to football registration and was now stranded in the parking lot. Grabbed my jumper cables and went to the rescue. Jump wouldn't do it-that battery was dead dead. Piled all of us in the Gorgeous Ford Ranger and headed off to the nearest Sams. Enroute, the Ranger's "check engine" light came on. Great. Went ahead and bought two batteries. The guy said it was a 2 hour wait to have them swap batteries. Great. I borrowed the tools and did it myself. Stopped at a nearby Home Depot and bought an adjustable wrench and went to save the Dodge. Got to the parking lot at the football fields and the gates were locked! Well ***** me. Had the wife and kid exit the truck and proceeded down a lengthy embankment. Kinda touchy for a few moments, they really don't want people there but criminy, what was I supposed to do? Finally got the battery changed and prayed that this was really the issue, and it was. Drove around looking for a way to get both vehicles out of the locked lot and found a path that wasn't too bad and managed to do it without rolling either vehicle. Now I'm back here wondering what's next. God I hope we're having something decent for supper.

Oh yeah, and today I played:
Bloc Party-The Black Sessions- 15 awesomely recorded live tracs!
Pet Shop Boys-Very. A classic or only a synthpop classic?
Pink Floyd-The Wall Live-HDCD via newtrix-thanks again man. Hoping that I get The National live today which in the end would make it a very good day after all.

jc

Hley jc,

Sounds like anything but leisure is dominating your day. Whew!!
Tonight you should take another hydrocodon or libation of choice and just chillax with your wife and some music, once the kids are in bed.

You've earned it buddy.

Hope tomorrow's a better day,
audiobill

Dusty Chalk
06-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Where have I been for the last 12 years??Like I said, ahead of its time.
According to allmusicguide this group has been around since 1993!!Wow, has it only been that long?
Allmusic also says: " (their latest disc) serves as a reasonable introduction to the artists as well, a rare accomplishment for a remix release..."Remix release?!? Wow, I didn't know that...Now I have to double check. See, the second disk includes many of the samples that were used in the making of the first, so that you could make your own remix disk, but that's all I know...

As to its being a reasonable introduction, I hate to disagree. They went through three distinct periods -- their early stuff, which is electro-industrial; their middle period, (from which this shows up) -- kind of glitchy, very experimental, sparse; and their current stuff (Vertical Theory and Polarity), which is a brilliant melding of the two. I have no idea where stuff like Less fits in, so obviously even to describe them as having three phases is an oversimplification. Something that doesn't include all three phases would simply be insufficient.

audiobill
06-19-2005, 05:58 PM
Not so much listening this weekend so far, but I did listen to the following:

Bearsuit - Cat Spectacular
This is indie pop generally, but kind of all over the place. Recently released in the US on a local Grand Rapids label, I was really looking forward to this one, but it seems like they are trying too hard, and the songwriting isn't all that strong. It does have the potential to grow on me, though so we shall see after I listen to it a few times.

"

Hey, Stone.

How's that Bearsuit track "Cookie on Jesus" come off. Lyrically, does it pack a punch or, as you say, does it try too hard??

Good to see indie bands making good.
audiobill

radioblast
06-20-2005, 05:02 AM
hard to believe that two byproducts of the Housemartins are The Beautiful South and..............FatBoy Slim. Talk about contrasting musical styles.

audiobill
06-20-2005, 03:34 PM
hard to believe that two byproducts of the Housemartins are The Beautiful South and..............FatBoy Slim. Talk about contrasting musical styles.

Hey, radioblast............welcome to the RaveRecs board!!

Quite the incestuous melange. All unique. And all very engaging, in their own right. Still adore the Housemartins,though, a little (tiny bit) more than the others.

Cheers,
audiobill

Stone
06-21-2005, 04:00 AM
Hey, Stone.

How's that Bearsuit track "Cookie on Jesus" come off. Lyrically, does it pack a punch or, as you say, does it try too hard??

Good to see indie bands making good.
audiobill

You're familiar with Bearsuit?

"Cookie Oh Jesus" is a good song, but not a great song to me. It's a straight ahead indie pop song, but nothing special musically or lyrically. The song after that (I can't remember the name of it right now) is a prime example of trying too hard: a swirling synth which gets annoying by the end of the track.

It's certainly not a bad album, but I can't see it becoming one of my favorites (although I've been dead wrong about these things before based on only one or a couple listens).

BarryL
06-21-2005, 06:23 AM
The music, sans lyrics, is very elegant and relaxing.......perfect for Saturday mornings (or any morning for that matter).

audiobill

I thought you were refering to the fact that schools out come recess.

I just ran into an old acquaintance who is now a marketing professor at a community college. She teaches four hours per week, does most of her work at home, has two months off in the summer, and earns about half what she earned in the corporate world without the long hours and irrational pressures.

Hmmm, maybe teachers are smarter than we sometimes give them credit for.

audiobill
06-21-2005, 02:31 PM
You're familiar with Bearsuit?

"Cookie Oh Jesus" is a good song, but not a great song to me. It's a straight ahead indie pop song, but nothing special musically or lyrically. The song after that (I can't remember the name of it right now) is a prime example of trying too hard: a swirling synth which gets annoying by the end of the track.

It's certainly not a bad album, but I can't see it becoming one of my favorites (although I've been dead wrong about these things before based on only one or a couple listens).

Hey, Stone.

I like it when I hear someone call it as they hear it, bud. There's too much music available to us, these days, for me to spend extra time on a ........... "not a bad album".
Indeed, it has to be "very good/ compelling" or better for me to give it time.

Thanks for the honest analysis.

Cheers,
Bill

audiobill
06-21-2005, 02:35 PM
I thought you were refering to the fact that schools out come recess.

I just ran into an old acquaintance who is now a marketing professor at a community college. She teaches four hours per week, does most of her work at home, has two months off in the summer, and earns about half what she earned in the corporate world without the long hours and irrational pressures.

Hmmm, maybe teachers are smarter than we sometimes give them credit for.

Hey, Barry.

The countdown is on!!

"Summertime and the living is easy,
Fish are jumping,
and the (teachers) are high"
-- from Porgy & Bess (almost)

For what it's worh "irrational pressures" are not only loyal to the corporate world.

Cheers,
Bill

BarryL
06-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Hey, Barry.

The countdown is on!!

"Summertime and the living is easy,
Fish are jumping,
and the (teachers) are high"
-- from Porgy & Bess (almost)

For what it's worh "irrational pressures" are not only loyal to the corporate world.

Cheers,
Bill

The way I look at it, summer is part of the job.