DVD Players- around $150 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Players- around $150

Eric Z
06-18-2005, 05:14 AM
I know a similar question was posted before, but I didn't get what I wanted from the other threads, so here it goes-

I am looking to buy a new DVD player for a couple reasons- eventually it will be for a new HT set-up and also the older Toshiba is running a little rough these days (it's also my brothers that I want to give back).

I am looking for a 5 disc player. I bought a Yamaha 660 a few months ago and tested it out and wasn't too pleased. The picture looked great, but the fast forward/rewind/next chapter seemed very cumbersome- for example, it was hard to get to previous chapters and rewind smoothly. It just didn't seem as 'smooth' as my older Sony. I'm thinking because the older Sony was about 6 years old and seemed to be built quite well, but didn't play all the formats.

Anyway, I'm looking where to start when looking at the DVD players- I would like to try out another Yamaha (since I'm extremely pleased with their receivers), however, I'm wondering if other Yamahas play the same as my other one I returned- I might have to test them out in the store for operational standpoints.

Toshiba or Panasonic usually good players, too? Maybe a Pana DVDF87 or a Tosh SD6915? What about a Yamaha 6770 or 750 (or something like that)- I can usually get pretty good deals from my local retailer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Eric

EdwardGein
06-18-2005, 05:39 AM
Check out the Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player which you can get for around $250 with shipping online and also plays DVD-A. Irregardless which DVD player you want, I'd go with anything up to $350 as for a few hundred more isn't going to break your bank if you get superior features.

Eric Z
06-19-2005, 04:52 AM
Thanks EG! I always felt HK stuff was a bit overpriced- like you're paying for their name. Never owned anything from them- just what I thought. I'll have to check out some of their stuff.

Anyone else have any comments about DVD players?

Thanks.
Eric

N. Abstentia
06-19-2005, 07:24 AM
I've also never been impressed with H/K, and they outsource their DVD players so you know you're paying a little more than you should. If you want to spend $150 for a DVD player, there's simply no reason to spend $350 as was suggested. Makes no sense.

Personally I've always found Panasonic players to be the best of the 'Best Buy' group of players. Best picture quality and best ff/rev controls by far. Panasonic destroys Sony on picture quality. You also might look into the Toshiba 6915 like you mentioned, it's down to $99 now.

EdwardGein
06-19-2005, 07:29 AM
"If you want to spend $150 for a DVD player, there's simply no reason to spend $350 as was suggested. Makes no sense."

It makes more sense than starting a war in Iraq over weapons of destruction that don't exist. It is also makes more sense because if it does give you a better performance (my opinion which you do not share not) what is $200 more?
:D :D :D :D

Eric Z
06-20-2005, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the input, NA!

EG- I think it makes total sense, I can spend upwards of $1K on a DVD player, but there's no reason IMO to do so (who cares how good the quality is)- I'm not creating an IMAX in my family room, just like to watch movies with a decent picture and surround sound! Also, I'd like to see a $350 player's quality compared to a $150 player's quality- I'm pretty confident there's not going to be a much noticeable difference- definitely not worth $200.

I was going to write about my feelings about Iraq and the US's involvement, but remembered this isn't the place for that kind of post- let's stick to HT!

The name can change, but it's the same person deep down inside, haha!

N. Abstentia
06-20-2005, 06:28 AM
Yeah IF there were a huge difference between the quality of the players it might be worth the $200 extra..but there's simply not that much difference...if any.

edtyct
06-20-2005, 08:25 AM
For what it's worth, I second N. Absentia's and others' points. Though I by no means think it unwise or foolish to spend money on a DVD player, the fact is that these days, more money is more apt to get you a heftier unit and (sometimes marginally) better sound than much improvement in video (except for a feature or two). As good as I think Panasonic's players have been for the last decade or so, I'm not sure that I'd agree that they blow away Sony in picture quality. Depending on model, Panasonic's deinterlacing/MPEG choices (like the Genesis chip) have been prone to certain artifacts (combing, macroblocking) that Sony has been able to avoid with its proprietary scheme, though Sony has had its problems as well.

Ed

recoveryone
06-20-2005, 08:45 AM
The only true way to figure if the higher cost is worth the money is the durability of the product. Most players today have the same features and chipset inside, but the little things like tray transport and front panel lights/buttons seem to be the issue now days. how many times have you seen loose or poor craftmanship on items. many of the store demos are beat to theads from all the handling. So in most areas the extra cost is not really the issue. Its more of the build of a system now days. I think I saw one of the early theads say his older sony was built better than the newer models he was looking at. I like the Pioneer Elite line, but the newer stuff is just not built as good as the older stuff. For me I look for a older model that is built to last. Nothing worse than getting a new unit that drops dead on you within a year.

Eric Z
06-20-2005, 08:59 AM
edtyct- thanks for the input! i am definitely willing to spend the extra cash on a player, but i want to be sure i'm getting something worth the extra $$$.

recoveryone- i see what you mean! my 5 or 6 year old sony is great- well built and solid, but it doesn't play all formats which is why i first started looking for a new one.

N. Abstentia
06-20-2005, 09:21 AM
Exactly. Why spend $400 for a player that has the same picture and sound quality as a $59 player hoping that it will last you 4 years instead of two? Why not just buy 6 $59 players and keep the spares in the closet and you'll always have a spare ready to go?

Then what do you do a year after you bought your $400 player and all of a sudden it will not play the latest formats? It's just as obsolete as the $59 player then.

Now after saying all this I have to admit that I paid $550 for a Marantz DV-6400 single disc player? Why? Because of it's superior analog audio performance, and it's SACD performance. However, those two things are not a factor here, so take away the DAC's in my Marantz (use a digital connection) and it works exactly like the $49 Sanyo player I have in my office other than the SACD capability.

I actually have three DVD players in my main system:
Marantz 6400 with analog connections for CD/SACD/DVD-A and serious movie watching (best picture and sound quality of any of the players)

Panasonic CV-51 5 disc changer for when I want to load up 5 CD's or DVD's. Picture quality is 98% of the Marantz.

Sony 300 disc..because it holds 300 discs! I mostly keep concerts and cartoon season sets (Simpsons, King of the Hill, Looney Tunes, Futurama, Ren/Stimpy) in this one, although the other two players have far better picture quality.

Then I have the $49 Walmart Sanyo in my office. It works just as good as all the others and they all sound identical when using the digital connection.

Eric Z, I just see no reason for you to spend $400 on a player, as all you want is a good reliable DVD player. I'd put the $99 Toshiba 6915 at the top of my list right now.

Eric Z
06-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Great points- I'm heading over to my electronics store after work today to take a look at the Toshiba- I'm sure I could get a pretty darn good deal, too.

Thanks again!
Eric

Hawkeye
06-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I picked up a Pioneer 563-A about 16 months ago for $99. It plays everything I throw at it: SACD, DVD-A, DTS, cd's, VCD's, mp3's......etc. For the price it was tough to beat.