High Q. Sub Cable OK for 2 Ch. Amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : High Q. Sub Cable OK for 2 Ch. Amp?

nightflier
06-17-2005, 10:05 AM
I want to place an amplifier far from my preamp & the rest of the components. Problem is, they don't make too many IC's that long. Would a pair of high-quality brand-name subwoofer cables be good enough for that? If so, what specs should I look for in this cable? Also, is there a distance limit where noticeable degradation occurs?

nightflier
06-19-2005, 02:28 PM
I can't believe I'm the only one who has run into this issue? Anyone have any advice?

nightflier
06-21-2005, 08:32 AM
I can't believe I'm the only one who has run into this issue? Anyone have any advice?

I've asked reps at Analysis Plus, AudioQuest, SVS, Polk, Infinity, and Axiom Audio. They all said pretty much the same thing: there should be no difference in sound reproduction using sub cables in place of IC's.

A couple did say, however, that the better sub cables (and they were quick to point me to their higher-end brands) have some advantages too over regular IC's: better shielding (since they frequently run side-by-side with power lines) and greater durability for long runs (because they are more likely to be stepped on or run around furniture corners).

This brings up an interesting question: as long as it's a decent cable, any RCA cable can be used for any RCA function, correct? So there is probably no difference between a sub cable, an IC, a composite video cable, a component video cable, or a coax cable, as long as they are from the same model line (for example, the AudioQuest Sidewinder line).

So if a sub cable costs half as much by the foot as a composite video cable, by all means, get the sub cable.

davidb
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
There are differences in the construction and physical properties of the cables, I can assure you of that. Component cables, for example, are 75 ohm coaxial - essentially RG6 with color-coded RCA terminations, and the same construction as digital coax. I forget what the usual resistance of an audio cable is, but it's substantially higher than 75. Subwoofer cables I've seen/cut open have had two thick solid core strands. So, anyway, all RCA terminated cables are not created equal, even within the same line. I am NOT saying that cables CAN'T be used for things other than their intended purpose, as I've frequently used cables for things that they weren't designed to do at work. It looked in your post like you were thinking that they were all exactly the same on the inside and put in different packages at different prices, just wanted to inform you otherwise.

nightflier
06-25-2005, 01:24 PM
There are differences in the construction and physical properties of the cables, I can assure you of that. Component cables, for example, are 75 ohm coaxial - essentially RG6 with color-coded RCA terminations, and the same construction as digital coax. I forget what the usual resistance of an audio cable is, but it's substantially higher than 75. Subwoofer cables I've seen/cut open have had two thick solid core strands. So, anyway, all RCA terminated cables are not created equal, even within the same line. I am NOT saying that cables CAN'T be used for things other than their intended purpose, as I've frequently used cables for things that they weren't designed to do at work. It looked in your post like you were thinking that they were all exactly the same on the inside and put in different packages at different prices, just wanted to inform you otherwise.

Basically any well constructed, shielded, 75 ohm cable will do for all RCA applications?

davidb
06-25-2005, 02:52 PM
Any RCA cable will usually "work" for any RCA applications, but if I remember correctly, for analog applications you should be using ?300? ohm cable while digital applications want 75 ohms. Using one in place of the other will, in my experience, work well enough to function, but but not well enough where you wouldn't want to replace them. Component and Digital Coax cables are just RCA terminated 75 (ideally) ohm coax, and are interchangeable without any sacrifice.

nightflier
06-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Any RCA cable will usually "work" for any RCA applications, but if I remember correctly, for analog applications you should be using ?300? ohm cable while digital applications want 75 ohms. Using one in place of the other will, in my experience, work well enough to function, but but not well enough where you wouldn't want to replace them. Component and Digital Coax cables are just RCA terminated 75 (ideally) ohm coax, and are interchangeable without any sacrifice.

So there are basically two general types of RCA cables used in A/V:

- 75 ohm
- 300 ohm

Can I still presume that any quality 300 ohm cable will be capable of carying a full frequency audio signal to my amp, regardless of whether it was marketed as sub cable?

davidb
06-27-2005, 07:38 PM
To the best of my knowledge, yes. I have used sub cables (albeit only temporarily) as video cables at work so that I could use the OSD on a receiver that too far from the TV. Video aps are much more demanding as far as frequency range is concerned, and the sub cable did reasonably well at that. Of course, an on screen display isn't exactly the most revealing thing out there as far as picture quality, but the cable should have no trouble with any sort of analog audio signal. Oh, and don't quote me on the 300 ohm number unless somebody more knowledgeable than myself confirms it.

Almost forgot - 300? vs 75 is not the only difference. There are also coaxial and non-coaxial cables. Analog audio cables are non-coaxial, whereas analog video cables (i.e. composite) are coaxial if I'm not mistaken.

JBMAudio.com
07-06-2005, 06:11 AM
So there are basically two general types of RCA cables used in A/V:

- 75 ohm
- 300 ohm

Can I still presume that any quality 300 ohm cable will be capable of carying a full frequency audio signal to my amp, regardless of whether it was marketed as sub cable?

you are correct. 75 ohms is a must for video signal, but audio can work with both.

markw
07-06-2005, 08:48 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill

By participating in virtually every cable/interconnect related thread with the intent of PM'ing every person who asks a question about cables or interconnects and posting a link to your own personal commercial venture sure seems like a pretty close match to the definition if you ask me.

Some text from the bottom of the website you point to in your tag line"

"copyright" 2005 JBM Audio
All Rights Reserved
Site Owned, Designed and Operated By Jason Monette
JBM Audio is an Asset of JB Monette Inc.

JBMAudio.com
07-06-2005, 08:53 AM
Learn something new every day.

noddin0ff
07-06-2005, 09:50 AM
Nightflier-
I just bought one of these. A 25ft sub cable, $13.60.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-644

Seems to be of good, solid construction. I'm not a big high-end cable guy. I thought it was a decent price for a good cable of significant length. FYI.

nightflier
07-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Nightflier-
I just bought one of these. A 25ft sub cable, $13.60.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=181-644

Seems to be of good, solid construction. I'm not a big high-end cable guy. I thought it was a decent price for a good cable of significant length. FYI.

...how would a pair of these sound used as IC's?

stretchmarks
07-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Easy answer to an easy question. Get out the Multimeter!

noddin0ff
07-13-2005, 05:57 AM
...how would a pair of these sound used as IC's?

Well, like I hinted, I'm not really into listening for audio differences in cables. If the gauge is good, and the connections are solid, I'm happy. Looking at the cable, the build quality is good, on par with things like Monster but with out the ridiculous design style. For the price and the length it's not going to put you out to give them a try. For 25ft runs your economical options likely aren't so numerous. If I had interconnects like this I'd use them. But I also refuse to pay Monster prices or more for cables.