Hd Dvd Blu-ray [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hd Dvd Blu-ray

steamboy 2
06-15-2005, 04:11 PM
What Is Everyone's Take On Both These Formats?

paul_pci
06-15-2005, 04:42 PM
It's too early for a take on these formats as such. But I will say that I think most are not in the mood for another format war. Fortunately for myself, by the time I upgrade to HD tv and such, the format war should be over.

krzywica
06-15-2005, 04:56 PM
I think blue-ray is superior because of the amount of data it can hold and Plastation 3 will be blue ray which I think will help tp promote the formats capabilities. But like Paul said it is still very early.

Woochifer
06-15-2005, 05:16 PM
Format war will impede the growth of the two formats until somebody comes up with a universal player that can handle both formats. Studios are evenly divided right now, so neither format has an advantage at the outset. If the format war keeps going, then it could kill the market altogether, like the SACD vs. DVD-A tussle has helped keep the market for high res digital home audio marginal at best.

The other big issue with Blu-ray and HD-DVD is that the studios are pressuring the equipment manufacturers to downconvert any HD content to 480p (basically the same resolution as progressive scan DVD) when output through the analog component video connections. HD resolution can only go through a copy protected digital output, such as HDMI. Problem with this approach is that the majority of HDTVs that have been sold lack any digital video connections. If those TV owners don't feel like buying a new HDTV or whatever hardware is needed to convert the digital video signals to analog component video, then that's yet another potential market limitation right from the beginning.

Basically, both formats are hobbling out of the gate and will probably struggle for a while. In addition to these self-inflicted limitations that have been thrown at the formats, the simple truth is that most people are happy with DVD. Compared to the quantum leap forward when the market went from VHS to DVD, the jump between DVD and HD is a lot narrower. Reviewers who've compared D-VHS (currently the only true HD home video format available) to DVD have indicated as such, and pretty much say that you need a large TV to notice a difference. Also, considering how much double-dipping the studios have already done with successive rereleases of movie-only and special edition titles, I'm not sure how much the buying public is willing to go through yet another round of repurchasing their favorite movies.

steamboy 2
06-16-2005, 02:12 PM
I think that both camps should have talked about 1 format from the start instead of trying to out do each other. you all 3 make good points but as far as blu-ray the superior format i'm not sure yet. but how does blu-ray come in to play for movies? here's my take. it can be great for recording your sesons worth of shows you like,sports baseball,basketball 7 gm. series & things like that. but movies? my thing is for recording them great but buying them, as far as extras i mean how much more do we really need to see as far as that. current dvd's hold so much content that i've for the most part stop looking at them. hours & hours of extras plus easter eggs too. i'm not taking anything away form blu ray but wouldn't that be alot of wasted space on a disc? hd dvd 's 15 to 45gb's is alot of storage space more than enough for me.

thanks guys for your input if you have more to talk about let me know.

paul_pci
06-16-2005, 05:04 PM
I think that both camps should have talked about 1 format from the start instead of trying to out do each other. you all 3 make good points but as far as blu-ray the superior format i'm not sure yet. but how does blu-ray come in to play for movies? here's my take. it can be great for recording your sesons worth of shows you like,sports baseball,basketball 7 gm. series & things like that. but movies? my thing is for recording them great but buying them, as far as extras i mean how much more do we really need to see as far as that. current dvd's hold so much content that i've for the most part stop looking at them. hours & hours of extras plus easter eggs too. i'm not taking anything away form blu ray but wouldn't that be alot of wasted space on a disc? hd dvd 's 15 to 45gb's is alot of storage space more than enough for me.

thanks guys for your input if you have more to talk about let me know.

You're thinking about video only and not audio, which we here all love. Greater storage capacity means less/uncompressed audio tracks.