What is the LFE for on my subwoofer and how should I use it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is the LFE for on my subwoofer and how should I use it?

Dmax
06-15-2005, 03:07 PM
What is the LFE for on my subwoofer and how should I use it

kexodusc
06-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi Dmax,
Do you mean the LFE input? A hole you plug a cable in? If so, that feeds the amp the signal from the receiver.
If you mean something else, maybe you could specify a bit more and I'll try to figure out.
What subwoofer is it?

BIG_MANISH
06-15-2005, 05:14 PM
What is the LFE for on my subwoofer and how should I use it
The .1 channel in Dobly Digital or DTS 5.1/6.1.7.1. The LFE channel contains low frequency effects in the range of 20-100 Hz. intended to be reproduced by a subwoofer. You should take your subwoofers and your room acoustics when adjusting; meaning, use your ears!

Dmax
06-15-2005, 05:27 PM
I am using the (filtered) line in on my sub and it sounds pretty good but theres also an LFE ( unfitered)input on it that I can use but whats the difference and which is better and why.

markw
06-15-2005, 05:34 PM
The filtered input on your sub puts the signal through the "filter" or "crossover" comopnents in the subwoofer.

The LFE input on the sub feeds the LFE signal directly to the sub's amp, bypassing the "filter", or "crossover" section in the sub.

By using the LFE output on your receiver, the "crossover" in the receiver does all the filtering that's needed. Using the LFE output on the receiver, the filtered input on the sub is superfulous.

But, as usual, listener preference rules.

Dmax
06-15-2005, 06:53 PM
I notice that my receiver has some LFE ATT adjustment feature ? The options are 0,10 and off. What does this do for the subwoofer and would you use the LFE instead?

markw
06-16-2005, 02:39 AM
I notice that my receiver has some LFE ATT adjustment feature ? The options are 0,10 and off. What does this do for the subwoofer and would you use the LFE instead?It may affect the sound. I don't have those on my receiver, although I'll take a stab "ATT" might be short for "attenuation" and those numbers might mean decibels or off.

Odds are the answer is at your fingertips if you do a little reading.

Dmax
06-16-2005, 05:49 AM
I will have to find the manuals,the receiver (Pioneer VSX-D411) was given to me by an uncle and the subwoofer (Polk Audio PSW350) was given to me by another uncle, both in excellent condition. Neither kept there manuals.

noddin0ff
06-16-2005, 06:04 AM
You'll find the Pioneer manual for download here
http://premier.info/pna/product/manual/0,,2076_4279,00.html

You'll need to register.

Dmax
06-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Gotcha ! Thanx A Million !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!