some of your favorite speakers you dont own and why [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : some of your favorite speakers you dont own and why

T BOMB25
06-14-2005, 11:07 PM
some of your favorite speakers that you dont own why it can be for different reason

topspeed
06-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Wilson WP7's are my current favs. Driven by ARC, this is the set-up that sets the bar for all others I hear and thus far nothing has topped it, including Von Schweikert's mighty VR11's!

Why don't I own them? Primarily because I simply won't spend that much money on something as frivolous as speakers and a matching front end. When we start talking about $20-30k, audio isn't even a consideration. I'm looking at return ratios.

RGA
06-15-2005, 10:04 AM
Audio Note E/SEC Silver is my current favorite and I don;t own it because I can't afford it. Audio Note E/SPe is a few steps down and I would take them over what I have.

B&W Model Nautilus -- Very solid speaker but again price and it's 8 separate amps requirement and need for SS detract --- nice speakers.

There are a great many I like, but would not necessarily purchase over what I have even without budget constraints. Some Avante Garde Unos have great scale and dynamics but other things such as tonality they're weaker on and they cost a ton. Gershman Acoustics Avante Gaurde and GAP were very nice as the big Energy Veritas Floorstander as more in the budget range. PMC is quite nice in general for every one I've heard but require higher watt amps to be effective or even going active. There are some nice big Dynaudio and JM labs for stupifying prices as well -- I'd go with the first selection though for music reproduction and some of these other for certain hi-fi specific SOTA traits.

JohnMichael
06-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Innersound electrostatic speakers. I have listened to them at a local audio dealer and they were the first electrostatics/panel speakers that I truly enjoyed. I do not have them because of two limitations and they are room size and wallet size.

Sequerra Met 7.7 is another speaker I would like to own. It has been a few years since I have listened to them but I always enjoyed the imaging of time aligned drivers. I remember good recordings sounding very good but poor recordings were difficult to listen to and a lot of my old records and cd's are better with a more forgiving speaker. I do have the wallet and room for the Mets so they may happen one day.

Bose 901s for a few live recordings. I would not want to listen to much music on them but a few recordings always sounded good with the very diffuse soundfield. Of course I would never buy a speaker for just a few recordings and all the grief from audio friends.

KEF speakers with the UniQ drivers are another speaker that has a good chance of ending up in my system. Their sound is unique enough that I want to listen and make sure they are long term compatible.

Buzz Roll
06-15-2005, 11:29 AM
I would have to say Magnepan 1.6. The placement issues and small sweetspot just make them a little too unfriendly for my room. But they do sound pretty nice.

JohnMichael, I use Met 7s at work everyday. Their unforgiving nature is just what's needed.

20to20K
06-15-2005, 12:18 PM
Love the sound, love the look.

A bit too pricey and I don't currently have electronics that would do them justice.

Some day...

Jimmy C
06-15-2005, 04:07 PM
...all the other examples.

I would love to have my 'ole Boston A-70s back, but I suppose I can't because they don't sell 'em anymore! I'm waiting for a MINT/boxed pair on ePay or Audiogon...

We could all name statement products that we like, but this was a humble 2-way that was easy on the ears, if not perfect. A lotta fun for me when I was in my early teens! These did R&R very well, as long as as blistering SPLs were not necessary.

Aarrgh... and I "upgraded" the to Klipsche KG2s - big mistake! Aw, well.. that was 25 years ago!

drseid
06-15-2005, 04:20 PM
The McIntosh XRT-28s are my dream speakers for anywhere near sane money... I don't own them because even though they are *near* sane money, I still can't justify their 18K+ a pair price tag (not to mention all the thousands of dollars of high-end McIntosh electronics to power them). Maybe someday I will buy a nice used pair...

Another pair are the Legacy Audio Whispers... Very nice all-around speakers, but a bit too much on the expensive side for my wallet.

---Dave

paul_pci
06-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Dynaudio 52se; no money for the speakers, no money for the requisite amplification. But as soon as I do …

Florian
06-16-2005, 08:26 AM
Mine is a Perigee Definitive. True Full range system, push pull 280kg a piece and over 100K. To me, the best speaker in the world, nuff said. 14Hz to US....and you can use a 8wpc tube.

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/perigee.jpg

The other seaker that is a dream come true is the Apogee Scintilla, but i already own that ;-) 20Hz (*real 20Hz) to over 25K ..4 ribbon tweeters per side, one midrange ribbon per side and one bass ribbon per side . 1ohm load.... http://www.maggiefanclub.de/mine.jpg

Another one is the Apogee Fullrange (one model above mine).

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/fr.jpg

JoeE SP9
06-16-2005, 09:10 AM
Having heard a pair of Apogee Concert Grands I would say they are one of the main contenders. The same weekend I heard the Grands I also heard some Magnepan MG20's. Either pair would make me very happy. I heard a pair of Mini Grands at Soundex several years ago. I wouldn't mind owning them either. Of course after hearing some Infinity IRS's they are on the list also. I must admit I could live with a pair of the big Sound Labs ESL's and have no complaints. The only reason I don't own any or all of these speakers is simply cost. I have the space for everything except maybe the IRS's.

Florian
06-16-2005, 09:58 AM
There is no concert grand :-)

There is the

Apogee Mini Grand (Stage with a subwoofer)
Apogee Studio Grand (Duetta with Subwoofer)
Apogee Grand (only 25 made and above 80K)
Apogee Fullrange (best Apogee)
Apogee Scintilla (right below the FR)
Apogee DIVA (newest model)
Apogee Duetta and Duetta II ( midsized Ap's)
Apogee Caliper (small Ap, but down to 30Hz)
Apogee Stage (smallest one)

The FR and Scintilla are known as the best Apogee's. Diva right next to it. Studio Grand/Duetta and then the list down. The Grand is very rare and like a DIVA with a sub, we guess.

T BOMB25
06-16-2005, 10:04 AM
well guys im new i had some password issues that prevented me from responding to my own thread so here goes my favorite cost no object speaker is the JM LAB Utpia Alto Be amazing that berrylliam tweater WOW!

Florian
06-16-2005, 10:05 AM
well guys im new i had some password issues that prevented me from responding to my own thread so here goes my favorite cost no object speaker is the JM LAB Utpia Alto Be amazing that berrylliam tweater WOW!
If you like the Utopia than youll like this.....

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/krell4.jpg

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/krell3.jpg

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/krell2.jpg

http://www.maggiefanclub.de/krell1.jpg

T BOMB25
06-16-2005, 10:25 AM
yeah Florian the king of the hill im over here in a daze and those planers you showed i herd about them they are drop dead gorgous the panrl speakers i have seen sorry about spelling guys.

JoeE SP9
06-18-2005, 01:02 PM
There is no concert grand :-)

There is the

Apogee Mini Grand (Stage with a subwoofer)
Apogee Studio Grand (Duetta with Subwoofer)
Apogee Grand (only 25 made and above 80K)
Apogee Fullrange (best Apogee)
Apogee Scintilla (right below the FR)
Apogee DIVA (newest model)
Apogee Duetta and Duetta II ( midsized Ap's)
Apogee Caliper (small Ap, but down to 30Hz)
Apogee Stage (smallest one)

The FR and Scintilla are known as the best Apogee's. Diva right next to it. Studio Grand/Duetta and then the list down. The Grand is very rare and like a DIVA with a sub, we guess.Sorry, no need to get snippy. My buddie and I had gone to Baltimore MD where he was purchasing a pair of MG3-R's. They have been rewired to accept tri-amping and have huge custom made external crossovers, easily the size of a good power amp. The guyin Baltimore had replaced them with a pair of MG20's. He took us to his friends where the MG3-R's were stored. His friend has a place that must rival Sea Cliff (HP's place) and had a pair of the Grands. Sorry if I've misidentified them. I also heard a pair of the Mini Grands at Soundex. I saw a pair of Studio Grand's there but was not able to hear them. They did induce a serious case of the "want them bad's" but I wasn't in a position to purchase at that time.

Florian
06-18-2005, 01:06 PM
w.goo
Sorry, no need to get snippy. My buddie and I had gone to Baltimore MD where he was purchasing a pair of MG3-R's. They have been rewired to accept tri-amping and have huge custom made external crossovers, easily the size of a good power amp. The guyin Baltimore had replaced them with a pair of MG20's. He took us to his friends where the MG3-R's were stored. His friend has a place that must rival Sea Cliff (HP's place) and had a pair of the Grands. Sorry if I've misidentified them. I also heard a pair of the Mini Grands at Soundex. I saw a pair of Studio Grand's there but was not able to hear them. They did induce a serious case of the "want them bad's" but I wasn't in a position to purchase at that time.
I wasnt snippy :-)

Here are THE GRAND ..... only 25 made ;-)

This system belongs to the boss of Krell.

http://www.calvadoshof.com/Audio/KRELL/Dago20.JPG

JohnMichael
06-19-2005, 05:16 AM
w.goo
I wasnt snippy :-)

Here are THE GRAND ..... only 25 made ;-)

This system belongs to the boss of Krell.

http://www.calvadoshof.com/Audio/KRELL/Dago20.JPG

It is good to be the boss.

Florian
06-19-2005, 05:20 AM
It sure is good to be the boss. The system belongs to Dan D'Agostino :-)

blake_mooney
06-19-2005, 10:11 AM
As far as I'm concerned DIY speakers are hands down the best. :) Only reason I don't own them is because I haven't built them yet, soon though. :D

These are the best speakers ever made imo.
http://www.e-speakers.com/images/ES-TAD-Ref1.jpg