Tuesday [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday

Stone
06-14-2005, 01:43 PM
I can't really remember all I've listened to this week, but here are a few:

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc800/c857/c8570441883.jpg
I had the itch for some Wire over the weekend and this was all they had at the record store I was near, so I picked it up. Damn fine selection of songs (although I'd still rather just listen to the first three records), and it really hit the spot.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd700/d750/d75097yb768.jpg
I bought the 2-CD reissue of this, which to me sounds pretty damn good (at least in my car). Great album, and probably my second favorite in the Cure canon.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/dre200/e225/e225806f9ik.jpg
Pop goodness, most of which is in the power pop/hooky britpop vein. It's a really nice collection of well-written pop songs.

ForeverAutumn
06-14-2005, 01:50 PM
I haven't listened to a lot this week. I started taking a course (and it's a law course Stoney ;) ) and joined the study group three weeks late so I've been scrambling to get caught up on the reading before my first meeting this Friday.

I've listened to CRSv10 a few more times. There's a few tracks that I'm really starting to dig. The only one that I really find myself not liking is that Mike Keneally track. Otherwise, I think that it's one of the best CRSs yet. It'll, for sure, lead to some purchases.

I've spun the new Coldplay once or twice more. It's still not doing anything for me. I think that I'll shelf it for a bit and come back to it.

And I've revisited Jim Bryson's, The North Side Benches. This is a fantastic disk IMO. Very nice alt country. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but this disk totally tickles my fancy.

MomurdA
06-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Esthero - breath from another- Chilled out grooves
Galactic - Galactic Vintage Reserve- jazz/jam band
Frost - Melodica Chill out and relax.
Royksopp - Melody AM - takes me to a 'Higher Place'
Medeski Martin Wood - Notes from the Underground - These guys dont make bad music.

Troy
06-14-2005, 02:20 PM
That martin Newell album's great. I have a radio promo copy from it's first release and I've never actually seen the cover before. Cheerio~!

RPWL- World Thru My Eyes. S'ok.
Flower Kings- Rainmaker. Forgettable
PorcupienTree- Warsawa. Killer
Kino- Picture. Surprising
Systems Theory- Soundtracks for Imaginary Movies. Mesmerizing
Adrian Belew- Side One. Crap
Air- 10,000hZ Legend. Playfull
Mr. Bungle- California. Brilliant
Yes- Fragile- Classic
Robyn Hitchcock- Fegmania! Quirky

A couple of my old "Drive All Night" mix CDs in the car.

Ex Lion Tamer
06-14-2005, 03:29 PM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc800/c857/c8570441883.jpg
I had the itch for some Wire over the weekend and this was all they had at the record store I was near, so I picked it up. Damn fine selection of songs (although I'd still rather just listen to the first three records), and it really hit the spot.

Huh? I woulda figured you'd have those first three in triplicate at minimum. Are you on the road for an extended period? I guess youl could do worse than "On Returning" though. Did you get the DVD yet?

I made a trip to the record store today, vwith the intention of getting the new White Stripes and/or the new Sleater-Kinney...alas no vinyl so I left them in the racks. Did pick-up this on vinyl...

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg700/g730/g73049ywknd.jpg

I'm halfway through side one and I think I'm gonna like it ... alot.

Went across the street to another store that is under new management. What a great job the new owner has done with the store. Big used (and new vinyl) selection, and they even added a small listening room in the back where they stock good-value Brit equipment from Epos, Creek, Rega, Wharfedale and others...really nice little store, I hope they do well. Still couldn't find the Stripes or Kinney albums, but I did find an album that I've been meaning to get for years but have never seen before...
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drc000/c078/c0783970lmd.jpg

It's going on next, and the suspense is killing me.

also got this...

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf900/f974/f97493swzqs.jpg

other listens included...

Beck - Guero, listened on the way home from the cottage, with the family and my wife says from wha t I thought was a deep slumber; "this whole album is great", don't think I've ever heard those words come out of her before in reference to one of my musical selection.

Sufjan Stevens -Michigan
British Sea Power - Open Season
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Patricia Barber - Modern Cool

And a few others that I don't have the time to list right now.

audiobill
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
I haven't listened to a lot this week. I started taking a course (and it's a law course Stoney ;) ) and joined the study group three weeks late so I've been scrambling to get caught up on the reading before my first meeting this Friday.

I've listened to CRSv10 a few more times. There's a few tracks that I'm really starting to dig. The only one that I really find myself not liking is that Mike Keneally track. Otherwise, I think that it's one of the best CRSs yet. It'll, for sure, lead to some purchases.

I've spun the new Coldplay once or twice more. It's still not doing anything for me. I think that I'll shelf it for a bit and come back to it.

And I've revisited Jim Bryson's, The North Side Benches. This is a fantastic disk IMO. Very nice alt country. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but this disk totally tickles my fancy.

Hey, FA.

I, too, have the new Coldplay and find it just okay.

Nevertheless, I find that the last 1/2 of the CD to be the best part; indeed, it's becoming infectious with more listens.

The first half does nothing for me.

Cheers,
Bill

Stone
06-14-2005, 05:26 PM
Huh? I woulda figured you'd have those first three in triplicate at minimum. Are you on the road for an extended period? I guess youl could do worse than "On Returning" though. Did you get the DVD yet?

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post. I have the first three albums (but not in triplicate). I'm not on the road, but was in another part of town Sunday, and was heading out to visit the gf (about 45 minutes away, so I've been getting quite a bit of listening time in the car) and I really wanted to listen to Pink Flag (especially "12XU"). So I decided I'd go the store that was near and pick up another copy, but all they had was On Returning. My comment about the selection of songs was just that; I think whoever put this comp together picked a good selection from the first three albums (and singles) from that era of Wire.

Which DVD? They have two out now. I have the first one, Wire on the Box: 1979, but haven't picked up the second one yet. I haven't even watched that one (although I've listened to the CD).

Let us know what you think of that Okkervil River album.

3-LockBox
06-14-2005, 07:08 PM
I picked up <i>Redheaded Stranger</i> (used) a few days ago. It was a Legacy reissue for $8.00. I remember hearing this one as a kid, without really remembering anything about it. I have a 'best of' CD of his but <i>RS</i> is the one Willie CD to have IMO.

It is actually a concept album with a collection of obescure songs (at the time anyway), only a few of which he penned himself, built around one song (title track) to tell a story. It works really well for half of it but strays after what would have 'side A' a little. Still the best thing ole Willie ever did.

Other than that, I'm still trying to warm up to RPWL's <i>Trying to Kiss The Sun</i>

Porcupine Tree comp I made.

Been revisiting YES myself these days (G4T1)

Been listening to a ZZ TOP comp called <i>One Foot In The Blues</i>, which is a collection of their older, blusier stuff before <i>El Loco</i>.

Dusty Chalk
06-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Lots of Bird York. One of these days, I'm going to cover "Strange Chemistry". Just a fabulous "singer-songwriter" type.

VNV Nation -- in preparation for concert tomorrow (or rather, later this week some time). Stompin'.

Um...that's all I remember. Been busy tryin' not to cry (a friend of mine got the best headphone amp ever, and I can't listen to it because ... well, because I might cry).

Gav_2000
06-15-2005, 12:26 AM
I've spent the last couple of days listening to Queen 'Live at Wembley Stadium'. I was at this concert in 1986 so it's a good reminder of what a fantastic show it was. I think it's out on DVD as well so i may have to get that sometime.

The only other live album that I have that I was at the recording of is AIIZ 'The Witch of Berkley' a NWOBHM album from about 1980, it was recorded in my school hall but the LP cover describes this as a rather less embarassing 'Recorded live in Manchester'.

ForeverAutumn
06-15-2005, 04:28 AM
I've spent the last couple of days listening to Queen 'Live at Wembley Stadium'. I was at this concert in 1986 so it's a good reminder of what a fantastic show it was. I think it's out on DVD as well so i may have to get that sometime.

I recently watched this DVD at my brother's house (at least I'm pretty sure that it was this one) and it was excellent!

KEXPMF
06-15-2005, 01:45 PM
SOME GREAT SONGS you may want to check out. :)

Sufjan Stephens - Holland

R.L. Burnside & Lyrics Born - Someday Baby

Of Montreal - Wraith Pinned to the Mist

Lyrics Born & Stereo MCs - I Changed My Min

KEXPMF
06-15-2005, 01:52 PM
today I'm also listening to Sam Shaber.
I'd never heard of her. She played a tiny place last night here in Lawrence KS. A friend had recommended the show. I'm don't usually get excited about solo singer/songwriters.
But I'd say if you like Ani DiFranco ( I do )... I highly recommend you check out Sam if she comes to your town. I'm not going to recommend her cd. Not bad but not blowing me away. BUT I think she's one of those you just have to see live. If you do want to hear it, www.samshaber.com

Ex Lion Tamer
06-15-2005, 06:52 PM
Which DVD? They have two out now. I have the first one, Wire on the Box: 1979, but haven't picked up the second one yet.

I just checked allmusic for that second one, I see it's from a recent show. Let me know if you ever get it.

I've listened to the Okkervil River album a couple times, and it sounds like a winner to me. Definitely has a Neil Young come Magnolia Electric Co. vibe that works well.

tentoze
06-15-2005, 07:18 PM
I just checked allmusic for that second one, I see it's from a recent show. Let me know if you ever get it.

I've listened to the Okkervil River album a couple times, and it sounds like a winner to me. Definitely has a Neil Young come Magnolia Electric Co. vibe that works well.
Black Sheep Boy is in my top 5 for the year so far- excellent music. Gave my kid in Tampa a heads up that they're playing there next month, so at least HE'LL get to see them live............

MindGoneHaywire
06-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Chet Baker--The Pacific Jazz Years
Ramones--Rocket To Russia
Nick Lowe--The Basher
Ladies & Gentlemen The Rolling Stones (DVD)
The Libertines
A sampler from the new Tommy Stinson rec
Assorted Ray Charles, Hank Williams, & Elvis
And the Ditty Bops, of course...

DarrenH
06-16-2005, 05:25 AM
Been awhile since I posted to the Tuesday thread (I know it's Thursday)

Dream Theater - Ocatvarium. Good album. Better than the previous one imo.
Muse - Absolution. Good album.
Caesars - Paper Tigers. That "Jerk It Out" song is good the rest is ho hum.
Scissor Sisters - s/t. I like this alot save for that cover of Floyd's Comfortably Numb which I promptly skip over every time.

Fats Navarro - Goin To Minton's. Taken from 5 different sessions beginning in Sept of 1946 thru Dec of 1947. Classic bebop.

Buddy Rich and Harry "Sweets" Edison - Buddy and Sweets. From 1955. If you like extended drum solos in your Jazz then this is for you.

Gene Krupa Trio w/ Buddy Rich - The Drum Battle. A Norman Granz JATP live show recorded in 1952. The title says it all. Featuring vocalizations from Ella Fitzgerald.

Gene Krupa and Buddy Rich - Krupa and Rich. From 1955. Excellent. Featuring the talents of Diz, Roy Eldrigde, Illinois Jacquet, Flip Phillips, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Oscar Peterson.

Sonny Clark - Sonny's Crib
Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
Jimmy Smith - Cool Blues

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer and Speak No Evil. Both were recorded in 1964 just before he joined Miles' group. Both of these are very, very good. This is nothing like what he morphed into with Weather Report.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - A Night In Tunisia. From 1960. I've heard many different versions of this classic Gillespie tune but this is the hottest one yet, imo.

Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Like Someone In Love. Taken from the same sessions that produced A Night In Tunisia. Lee Morgan, Wayne Shorter, Bobby Timmons....another great Jazz Messengers recording.

Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers - s/t. From 1954. Art Blakey started the Jazz Messengers in the late 40's. Horace started using the name when he became leader of the group and later Art would go back to using the name again after Horace left the group. Make sense? I hope so.

Snowbunny
06-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Wow!

Ryan Adams - Heartbreaker

I picked this one up at a thrift store for $3.00!

This is definitely a Rave Rec!!! True alt-country sound. Maybe a little Dylan, Chris Isaak, maybe even Elliot Smith??? I know this is probably old news to most since it came out in 2000, but its sooo good!

Also saw The Beautiful South - Gaze for sale. Anyone have this?

Snowie

C-Z
06-17-2005, 01:47 PM
Better late than never (I assume y'all don't want me to fill you in on the last few years of stuff I've spun):

Lots of Porcupine Tree - can't get enough of them these days
Mad Season
Davey's Twilight Comp - this has a great flow, and a different feel than most of my tunes do
Dave G's KKKKKKkkkansas comp
Troy's Flower King's comp - old stuff better. I also think Rainmaker is only OK
Mary Black (forgot the album) - only one really good tune, Columbus, but what a tune!
Judas Priest - British Steel (remaster)
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection - his best IMO
Prokofiev - symph 1 and Lt. Kjie
Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth

can't remember the rest

CZ

Davey
06-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Davey's Twilight Comp - this has a great flow, and a different feel than most of my tunes do
Hey, the long awaited return of CZed! Nice to see you around, Chris. That Twilight comp goes back a long, long ways ... far into the bowels of Rave Recs comp making lore :)

Funny, but due to all my moving and my habit of almost never keeping a copy of these comps for myself, I had offered a friend of mine a copy of that comp only to discover that I no longer had one to copy. And that was after I made a nice shiny new cover for it and everything. So I appealed to my good buddies here at the Porcupine Tree Ranch and our old, and like you, kinda scarce buddy BradH came through with a cool package of stuff, including a copy of my old comp. Nice people. And it is kind of a nice comp too :)

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/twilight.gif

Dusty Chalk
06-17-2005, 09:02 PM
(I assume y'all don't want me to fill you in on the last few years of stuff I've spun)Yeah, actually, we would.

How about a synopsis?

ForeverAutumn
06-18-2005, 05:36 AM
Better late than never (I assume y'all don't want me to fill you in on the last few years of stuff I've spun):

Lots of Porcupine Tree - can't get enough of them these days
Mad Season
Dave G's KKKKKKkkkansas comp
Troy's Flower King's comp - old stuff better. I also think Rainmaker is only OK
Mary Black (forgot the album) - only one really good tune, Columbus, but what a tune!
Judas Priest - British Steel (remaster)
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection - his best IMO
Prokofiev - symph 1 and Lt. Kjie
Lyle Lovett - Joshua Judges Ruth

can't remember the rest

CZ

Hi Chris,
Not sure whether we've met. Nice to meet you. And, nice list. Davey called you CZed. Canadian dude?

Cheers!

-Jar-
06-18-2005, 06:25 AM
CZ didn't you make a stoner rock comp many years ago?

-jar

Davey
06-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Davey called you CZed. Canadian dude?

Cheers!
Thankfully, no. There's enough of a northern contingent around here! I think that's a leftover petname by Snowbunny, the other Canadian dudette. Always loved to say zed since I was just a kid and spent some time in England. When I first arrived in London and the clerk at the hotel told me my room number was something-zed, and I dumbly replied, huh? Hehehe, always write it with that horizontal line in the middle too.

ForeverAutumn
06-18-2005, 08:46 AM
Thankfully, no. There's enough of a northern contingent around here! I think that's a leftover petname by Snowbunny, the other Canadian dudette. Always loved to say zed since I was just a kid and spent some time in England. When I first arrived in London and the clerk at the hotel told me my room number was something-zed, and I dumbly replied, huh? Hehehe, always write it with that horizontal line in the middle too.

Yeah, it always amuses me when I say Zed and Americans look at me like I'm from another planet. It confuses the heck out of them. Sometimes, when I'm in the US on vacation I just walk up to people and start saying "zed, zed, zed, zed, zed". It's funny how Americans will cross the steet to avoid me.

:D

Slosh
06-18-2005, 09:18 AM
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drg700/g730/g73049ywknd.jpg
Meh, sounds like Counting Crows to me :rolleyes:

tentoze
06-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Meh, sounds like Counting Crows to me :rolleyes:
Trying to figure out when bruddah-man got the ear transplant.

;)

Dusty Chalk
06-18-2005, 02:54 PM
Yeah, it always amuses me when I say Zed and Americans look at me like I'm from another planet. It confuses the heck out of them. Sometimes, when I'm in the US on vacation I just walk up to people and start saying "zed, zed, zed, zed, zed". It's funny how Americans will cross the steet to avoid me. Zed is a great word, I use it in Scrabble all the time. When my opponent pseudo-challenged me on it, and asks me what it means, I tell her it's the name of the letter "Z". Then she officially challenged me, and lost a turn. Only once, though. (We're not exactly hardcore players, I think we play maybe once a year.)

C-Z
06-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey Dave - good to be back, thanks! I have a few of your ancient comps, and twilight has never gone but a few months without a listen - one of the all-time best ones for me.

Hi ForeverAutumn - thanks for the welcome (back)! We have never met, I think it was me going about the time you entered. In your posts I have read just recently, methinks I like much of your taste in music. Like Dave says, it was Snowbunny that gave me the Zed - which I liked for some reason. I almost chose CeeZed as my new moniker but was not sure if anyone would remember - silly of me to doubt Davey's noggin.

Jar - I remember the stoner comp - but it wasn't me. I may have a copy, and if I find it as I unpack all my crap (just moved), I'll let you know.

Dusty - one of these Tuesday threads I'll throw out a brief history of the tuneage that was memorable to me during this interesting last few years of my life. I certainly missed not getting exposed to new stuff (to me) from y'all here.

CeeZed

DiscoRage
07-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Beck - Guero, listened on the way home from the cottage, with the family and my wife says from wha t I thought was a deep slumber; "this whole album is great", don't think I've ever heard those words come out of her before in reference to one of my musical selection.

You should check out the special edition of Guero. Comes with two discs, disc 1 is CD audio with seven bonus tracks. Disc 2 is DVDA/DD5.1. Comes in a very nice book type packaging with some really great artwork.