troubles with selecting a turntable [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : troubles with selecting a turntable

runlolarunpunk
06-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Okay,
I want an affordable turntable (affordable meaning under $130). I found these turntables.... can you tell me what you think and if there is another model i should look at tell me about it please!

Gemini XL-300 ( i figured it had more updates since the 200)
Stanton STR8-20B
Stanton T.50X

Please let me know if any of those are okay... i'll just be listening to my records, nothing too special. It will just be in my dorm-room.
Alliey

DaHaq
06-14-2005, 11:36 PM
I got my turntable(s) used at garage sales for about $25 each. Pretty decent Technics models. Of course, if you get used, you'll want to get a new cartridge which will probably add another $50-$100 depending on what you get. I got a $100 Shure M97xE cartridge so the total for table and needle came to $125. Unfortunately, I can't comment on the models you listed...I do think that a quality cartridge is the most important thing though.

oldskoolboarder
06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
Found a Pioneer PL117D for $40 in good condition. Added an Ortofon OM10 and it sounds great. All for less than $100.

nobody
06-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't know too much about those tables, but I would tell you to stay away from the Stanton STR-8 models. They feature a shortened straight tonearm, designed to keep records from skipping, but the alignment can damage your records and increase distortion.

I do actually have a Gemini that I picked up for like 80 bucks new and put a used Shure M91 ED on it, and it sounds pretty good. You'd probably be ok if you just grabbed whatever their cheapest model is and put a Shure M97 on it. You can get the Shure on Amazon for under 60 bucks. You'd probably be even betrter with a used table, but if you don't wanna worry anout getting something with damage and want something new, just stay away from the STR-8 tables to protect your vinyl.

RGA
06-18-2005, 06:57 PM
project Debut II -- save your money and wait until you can get this.