Help me choose.. almost narrowed it down [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose.. almost narrowed it down

SexualChocolate
06-13-2005, 08:30 AM
I currently have a pair of Ascend Acoustic cbm170's as my fronts in my bedroom and a pair of VMPS audio 626r's as my fronts in my stereo setup.

Im looking to combine both systems and just do one very nice HT setup.

Im looking to sell the VMPS 626r's and upgrade to a true 5.1 system.

If I take my CBM 170's and make them my surrounds I can then buy a pair of 340's for the front, a 340 center and the stands all for around +/- $1000.

However my dilemma is Ive only got about $800 currently budgeted and I found this today

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=69.1

Av123 is willing to let me get the matching center channel instead of the transport (since I have a nice CDP already). The set is $650-$800 shipped. Has anyone heard these?

Last but not least is Athena Audio. I can get a pair of the AF-2 and the matching center for my budget price as well.

Im leaning towards the av123 package, but Ive never heard them. I was somewhat happy with the current cbm170's I have so I considered the Ascend package, but its a little more money.

Florian
06-14-2005, 08:43 AM
Dont sell the 626, save some money and buy the LRC models with a sub. Build the HT slowly with better parts :-)

drseid
06-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Out of the models you are considering, the AV123.com Rockets would be my choice... The Rocket brand offers very nice sound and value for the money.

That said, I agree with Florian that it seems like a waste to sell the 626s to downgrade to an inferior multi-channel system (unless there is somehing about the 626s that you dislike that is driving the decision to sell).

I would sell the Ascends, and start saving to build around the VMPS speakers with others of similar quality from VMPS (if not the same speaker for each of the 5 channels). This may take you quite a while, but the rewards are worth it, IMO.

---Dave

SexualChocolate
06-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Dont sell the 626, save some money and buy the LRC models with a sub. Build the HT slowly with better parts :-)

Ideally Id like to keep the 626r's and purchase the LRC center and one day when Im rich pick up the RM40's for the fronts and move the 626r's to the rear. Then i wake up and realize that my better half would never allow me to spend that kind of money on speakers and I know I can get into a nice 5.1 setup for close to the price I can sell the 626r's for.

Im leaning towards the Ascend 340's but Im just now starting to compare the Ascends and the Rockets via online reviews.

Selvyn
06-16-2005, 06:25 AM
Ideally Id like to keep the 626r's and purchase the LRC center and one day when Im rich pick up the RM40's for the fronts and move the 626r's to the rear. Then i wake up and realize that my better half would never allow me to spend that kind of money on speakers and I know I can get into a nice 5.1 setup for close to the price I can sell the 626r's for.

Im leaning towards the Ascend 340's but Im just now starting to compare the Ascends and the Rockets via online reviews.

http://www.vmpsaudio.com/prod.htm

Is this the VMPS you are referring to ?

SexualChocolate
06-16-2005, 06:34 AM
http://www.vmpsaudio.com/prod.htm

Is this the VMPS you are referring to ?

The one and only..

link to my auction is here

http://ads.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrmoni&1123860747

Theyve been up for 2-3 days now and Ive received a few offers but Im holding out for my asking price since I know this is a hell of a deal.

Florian
06-16-2005, 08:11 AM
Pull the 626 from Audigon trust me. Save for a RM30 or just add a sub with the LRC. I once sold a good speaker for some average HT system, i was sorry in the end. A full blown VMPS (other high quality brand) speaker system for HT is truly amazing. Mediocare systems are cool too, but nothing is like having a full blown hi-res system and LOTR :-)

-Flo

SexualChocolate
06-16-2005, 08:17 AM
Pull the 626 from Audigon trust me. Save for a RM30 or just add a sub with the LRC. I once sold a good speaker for some average HT system, i was sorry in the end. A full blown VMPS (other high quality brand) speaker system for HT is truly amazing. Mediocare systems are cool too, but nothing is like having a full blown hi-res system and LOTR :-)

-Flo

Honestly if I felt that I could eventually afford some RM 30's, Id keep the 626r's. Since I pruchased the 626r's my children have moved in with me (ages 8 and 10), Im engaged and just purchased a new home. At this time in my life (age 30) I dont have the funds or the dedication to spend that kind of money and/or enjoy them (working 2 jobs) like I need to. With the money I get from the 626r's I can get into a nice 5.1 setup (leaning towards the Swan 5.2's with matching center and surrounds... or the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340's) and its something that the kids/family can enjoy come movie time and if it gets damaged or destroyed I wont go hang myself.

Perhaps in 10+ years when things settle down (I hope), I can reinvest in a 2 channel system.

SlumpBuster
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM

-Flo

Aren't you a VMPS dealer? A little disclosure would be nice. ;)

Florian does know his audio and his opinion is not to be trifled with, but I'd just go with whatever is the best full HT you can afford right now. I'm so lame I have to borrow nieces and nephews for movie night at my house because I have no kids of my own. The fun of watching the Incredibles with your kids will trump not having KiloDollar speakers and amps. I don't like when people ask for advice on speakers or audio equipment and provide a buget, but the answer comes back "Change your budget" or "Save up." This seems to be a popular response. This is audioreview.com, not financialreview.com.

BTW, if your anything like me, you will discover that once you can afford $5K plus on speakers, you won't always be so inclined to buy them regardless of what the wife says. Priorities shift over the course of a lifetime.

Florian
06-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Yes i am but only for germany :p

Well you can enjoy movies no matter what system, but a good system enchances the experience.

-Flo

T BOMB25
06-16-2005, 11:01 AM
keep your home theater seperate from your hi fi combining them will really leave you scrathing your head you will lose your 2 channels ability.I dont care what the cost difference.

Selvyn
06-16-2005, 01:41 PM
I currently have a pair of Ascend Acoustic cbm170's as my fronts in my bedroom and a pair of VMPS audio 626r's as my fronts in my stereo setup.

Im looking to combine both systems and just do one very nice HT setup.

Im looking to sell the VMPS 626r's and upgrade to a true 5.1 system.

If I take my CBM 170's and make them my surrounds I can then buy a pair of 340's for the front, a 340 center and the stands all for around +/- $1000.

However my dilemma is Ive only got about $800 currently budgeted and I found this today

http://www.av123.com/products_product.php?section=speakers&product=69.1

Av123 is willing to let me get the matching center channel instead of the transport (since I have a nice CDP already). The set is $650-$800 shipped. Has anyone heard these?

Last but not least is Athena Audio. I can get a pair of the AF-2 and the matching center for my budget price as well.

Im leaning towards the av123 package, but Ive never heard them. I was somewhat happy with the current cbm170's I have so I considered the Ascend package, but its a little more money.

How do you like the Ascends ? Are they as good as the reviews say they are ?

Florian
06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Well than this will help you, the Magnepan MMGW set with a powerfull subwoofer.

-Flo

SexualChocolate
06-16-2005, 02:22 PM
How do you like the Ascends ? Are they as good as the reviews say they are ?

I like the Ascends and for the money I just dont think you can go wrong. That being said they are not in the same league as the VMPS 626r's, not even close, then again neother is the price.

Ive yet to hear a speaker under $3k that compares to the VMPS 626r's.. however keep in mind that it creates a problem that Im facing now.. that problem would be to save up to buy the matching center channel and then eventually move up to RM30's or 40's, or start over and "settle" for something less thats within my budget.

Im opting to start over and stay within my budget and let me tell you its one of the hardest decisions Ive ever made.