Roy Rogers wagon wheel sonosub finally finished (closeable port) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Roy Rogers wagon wheel sonosub finally finished (closeable port)

kingdaddykeith
01-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I have these pictures already on a couple other forums but I always remember that this was the first place I used to hang out, and even though it's almost dead here I thought I post some pictures of the finished product since it's taken me nearly a year to complete.

There is another identical one still being finished and they will be powered by a Mackie 1400i pro amp at 700W per sub 70hz and down with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to smooth out the lumps (I hope).

The port will with the twist of a knob lower and seal for music applications. This works better than I imagined completely different bass when the enclosure is sealed.

karl k
01-02-2004, 09:56 PM
How's the vibration of the plug? I'm sorry bout the 400wt vibrator crack... didn't mean anything. I may not have posted it but I have been keeping an eye on your progress and you've got some very good ideas in the damping aspects inside the box. Very impressed! Any in-room response figures comming? Hope so!

MCH
01-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Great job kingdaddykeith!!!

mtrycraft
01-03-2004, 11:25 PM
I have these pictures already on a couple other forums but I always remember that this was the first place I used to hang out, and even though it's almost dead here I thought I post some pictures of the finished product since it's taken me nearly a year to complete.

There is another identical one still being finished and they will be powered by a Mackie 1400i pro amp at 700W per sub 70hz and down with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer to smooth out the lumps (I hope).

The port will with the twist of a knob lower and seal for music applications. This works better than I imagined completely different bass when the enclosure is sealed.

Now I remember this some time back you were trying to figure out how to control the port plug.
Any pictures of the finished design of the mechanism?

Looks tremendous, great job.

kingdaddykeith
01-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Mtrycraft, it's good to know some old regulars are still lurking here and thanks for the interest this project nearly made me give up, besides the difficulty of coming up with a guide mechanism for the valve I found that keeping the whole thing linier while it was going up and down an even more difficult task. Also I'm not sure what others where doing about Feet for there Sonotubes but I found that the standard screw in or detachable Feet wouldn’t do for this 100 lb+ beast so I spent a lot of time trying to make it stable as well. Here is a pic of the Guide mechanism.

mtrycraft
01-06-2004, 11:54 PM
Nice pitures and a beautiful finished product, if I say so myself :)

How does it sound? Any testing as to response fr and spl?

kingdaddykeith
01-07-2004, 01:48 PM
I have a folder full of FR room measurements and correction data I have been working on the last week, but for the life of me I cant get any of these .xls graphs saved and reduced to a format that this forum will accept. I'll just have to say that both subs playing with test tones from 10Hz to 100Hz in 1/6 octave spaces have shown these to be (after serious PEQ correction with a BFD) +/- 3db from 14.4Hz to 90Hz and capable of 125 SPL in room. The Room response for Sealed is about +/- 3db from 29Hz to 90Hz.

Before correction, there were serious peaks and valleys at 39Hz, 47Hz and 70Hz for the Left sub. For the right it was even worse, there was a huge -14db dip at 52Hz, I could even tell this by walking around the room with this tone playing, once I got to a specific area in my room the bass went from overwhelming to nonexistent in just a few inches and lasted for a swath of about 8’ in a semi-circle pattern to the right and behind my seating area.

Needless to say it sounds much better now, the Behringer Feedback Destroyer it a truly amazing piece of equipment for the price and it had done wonders for the bass, only problem is when correction is engaged it only sounds good at my listening area, but if I get up and walk around many places in my house just sound way too boomy, whereas before it sounded pretty good all over the house except at the listening seat

mtrycraft
01-08-2004, 11:58 PM
I'll just have to say that both subs playing with test tones from 10Hz to 100Hz in 1/6 octave spaces have shown these to be (after serious PEQ correction with a BFD) +/- 3db from 14.4Hz to 90Hz and capable of 125 SPL in room. The Room response for Sealed is about +/- 3db from 29Hz to 90Hz.

125dB spl is excellent :) Is this an average or can you get those levels at the low end too?

only problem is when correction is engaged it only sounds good at my listening area,

Isn't that where you listen to it, from the listening position :)

but if I get up and walk around many places in my house just sound way too boomy, whereas before it sounded pretty good all over the house except at the listening seat

Well, between you and me, I only listen well from the listening positions :) not the peanut gallery :)

kingdaddykeith
01-09-2004, 09:33 AM
I was finally able to get a graph posted, this is both subs driven in HT configuration with the Port Valves open, the closed graph looks much different (I'll post later). Also, note that this graph range is from 10Hz to 100Hz and my x-over is set to 80Hz, so I'm +/-3db from 15 to 80Hz. Not bad for a amateur DIY design, my living room now sounds like a concert, my hair actually vibrates and vision is blurred at loud levels. Yes it can sustain 120db levels with a test tone which caused me to add calking to all my window frames, that's why I choose the Maelstrom drivers, they are the SPL kings for the price.

Thanks for the interest Mtrycraft, you seem we seem to be the only active posters around here.

mtrycraft
01-09-2004, 08:05 PM
I was finally able to get a graph posted, this is both subs driven in HT configuration with the Port Valves open, the closed graph looks much different (I'll post later). Also, note that this graph range is from 10Hz to 100Hz and my x-over is set to 80Hz, so I'm +/-3db from 15 to 80Hz. Not bad for a amateur DIY design, my living room now sounds like a concert, my hair actually vibrates and vision is blurred at loud levels. Yes it can sustain 120db levels with a test tone which caused me to add calking to all my window frames, that's why I choose the Maelstrom drivers, they are the SPL kings for the price.

Thanks for the interest Mtrycraft, you seem we seem to be the only active posters around here.

I am just impressed with your craftsmanship in the details:) We have something in common :)

karl k
01-09-2004, 09:29 PM
That is impressive!

The graph looks pretty good for response. I assume it was a far field measurement? From listening position or a specific distance?

I'm having simular vibration probs with the interior cabinet doors in the kitchen as well as the pots and pans in those cabinets... I can sympothize!

I'm anxious to see the sealed plot when you get time.

kingdaddykeith
01-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Here is the final correction for both subs Sealed (port valves closed), all measurements are taken at the listening seat with a modified RS SPL meter using no correction.

mtrycraft
01-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Here is the final correction for both subs Sealed (port valves closed), all measurements are taken at the listening seat with a modified RS SPL meter using no correction.

Sorry, I am not seeing any images or raw numbers. Or, I don't know how to find it.

kingdaddykeith
01-11-2004, 09:52 AM
Can you see the Graph, I can but the graph has no markings for the Frequency steps (don't know why). The Graph starts at 10Hz and every vertical line represents a 10Hz step, (10, 20, 30, 40, 50 ect..).

mtrycraft
01-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Can you see the Graph, I can but the graph has no markings for the Frequency steps (don't know why). The Graph starts at 10Hz and every vertical line represents a 10Hz step, (10, 20, 30, 40, 50 ect..).

Sorry, nothing at my end :( No numbers, zero. I'll just use my imagination :)

kingdaddykeith
01-12-2004, 09:12 AM
I'll try posting this from my work station, although I don't think it will help. I can See the Graph at both my computers with different ISP but I am useing the same browser (IE), Do you have Java turned off?

mtrycraft
01-12-2004, 10:18 PM
Do you have Java turned off?

Could be, not sure. Will that do the trick? I will try to find it and turn it on.

kingdaddykeith
01-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Room Shot of the Whole system, and a detail pic of the silkscreened faceplate for the Valve Knob.

mtrycraft
01-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Room Shot of the Whole system, and a detail pic of the silkscreened faceplate for the Valve Knob.

More great pictures :)