Anyone familiar with K-OS? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with K-OS?

Snowbunny
06-10-2005, 07:29 AM
The band is coming to town soon and they've been playing a song on the radio by then that's got a real Bob Marley-type vibe. Anyone know if they're worth seeing live?

Snowb

Ex Lion Tamer
06-10-2005, 08:24 AM
The band is coming to town soon and they've been playing a song on the radio by then that's got a real Bob Marley-type vibe. Anyone know if they're worth seeing live?

Snowb

I gather he's some kind of Canadian Trip-Hop, (or is it Hip-Hop, I'm just not sure) sensation. Saw them on the Juno's and it did not make me want to run out and see them or buy an album. You've probably looked it up already, but here's what allmusic (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4781DDA47AB7520C994364BDBB17DE629D342 FD831F6E4954C0BE3846890270E350E9DFD2B0FA6AB679AFFA 62A55805D1C9E457FBCC0640&sql=10:igke4j477wau) has to say about his latest album.

Snowbunny
06-10-2005, 08:37 AM
I gather he's some kind of Canadian Trip-Hop, (or is it Hip-Hop, I'm just not sure) sensation. Saw them on the Juno's and it did not make me want to run out and see them or buy an album. You've probably looked it up already, but here's what allmusic (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&token=ADFEAEE4781DDA47AB7520C994364BDBB17DE629D342 FD831F6E4954C0BE3846890270E350E9DFD2B0FA6AB679AFFA 62A55805D1C9E457FBCC0640&sql=10:igke4j477wau) has to say about his latest album.

Thanks for the link, Mark. I didn't already look it up because it seems amg now requires registration and I don't like to register at work.

I'm not sure what the song I heard is called but I really like it. They must be getting popular because they used to play at the local university and now they're playing at about a 5,500 seat coliseum. I'm really surprised that they are classified trip-hop, or even hip-hop for that matter.

Snowie

kexodusc
06-10-2005, 12:29 PM
K-OS is actually a very talented hip-hop artist who definitely pays his repects to some blues, jazz, and many other styles. I met him when he came to my town this past winter...very humble, respectful and all around good guy...I bought his latest CD after the show...it's not bad if you like hip-hop etc...

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2005, 07:05 PM
If it's the same song that's getting way too much airplay here (and the same song that he performed at the Juno's) it's called Crabbuckit.

I'm not much into HipHop but he kinda reminds me of Outkast. I may be way out to lunch on that comparison though so nobody flame me, please.

KEXPMF
06-12-2005, 08:29 PM
If it's the same song that's getting way too much airplay here (and the same song that he performed at the Juno's) it's called Crabbuckit.

I'm not much into HipHop but he kinda reminds me of Outkast. I may be way out to lunch on that comparison though so nobody flame me, please.

Crabbuckit is a great hip hop song. I play it at my DJ gigs all the time. I don't know much about the artist though.

Snowbunny
06-13-2005, 10:44 AM

Hey, I love that song, Autumn, but that's not the one they've been playing here.

On another topic, do you hear much about a Canadian band called "Golden Dogs" around your neck of the woods?

Snowb

Snowbunny
06-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Crabbuckit is a great hip hop song. I play it at my DJ gigs all the time. I don't know much about the artist though.

I think I must love hip hop! Are you familiar with his album KEXPMF? Do you know the reggae-ish song I was talking about?

Snowb

ForeverAutumn
06-13-2005, 11:14 AM
On another topic, do you hear much about a Canadian band called "Golden Dogs" around your neck of the woods?

Snowb

I've never heard of them. But I've got the CD Samples playing off of their Web site right now. My laptop speakers are definately not doing them justice, but I can see that I might like them.

I'll look for the CD at Future Shop, looks like $18 (including shipping) is about the cheapest that I can find them on-line. Thanks for the tip.

Have you heard Boy? Another really good Canadian pop band. I'm loving their CD Every Page You Turn. They're worth checking out if you haven't heard them. Go here...http://www.boytheband.com/home.php

newtrix1
06-13-2005, 12:12 PM

Snowb

It's on a cd soundtrack (to a PS2 snowboarding game called SSX3 ) which I picked up for my kids after we all got hooked on the SSX game at Christmas. The K-OS track Freeze is a pretty decent basic hip-hop song, but nothing fantastic or anything. Good luck if you decide to go to the show, me thinks you'll stand out from the crowd a bit. ;)

Snowbunny
06-13-2005, 03:57 PM
Good luck if you decide to go to the show, me thinks you'll stand out from the crowd a bit. ;)

Yeah, I kinda figured. I think I'll probably just buy the CD. If it does sound like Outkaast then it should be fun for summer listening.

Tickets are $27 for a general seating cabaret-style (poor acoustic) venue. How does that compare to the small venues in the states?

Snowie

ForeverAutumn
06-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Hey Snowie, check your local TV listings! I just noticed a Spotlight on K-OS on MuchMoreMusic at 8:00 tonight EST. If you get the same schedule with the three hour time difference, you may still be able to catch it.

If not, check their website to see if there's a repeat.

Good luck!

Snowbunny
06-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey Snowie, check your local TV listings! I just noticed a Spotlight on K-OS on MuchMoreMusic at 8:00 tonight EST. If you get the same schedule with the three hour time difference, you may still be able to catch it.

If not, check their website to see if there's a repeat.

Good luck!

Rat's! Missed it by that much. I did see the last 20 seconds of Man I Used to Be. I know that song, too!

Thanks buddy. I'll have to check it out again in three hours or so...

Snowie

newtrix1
06-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I kinda figured. I think I'll probably just buy the CD. If it does sound like Outkaast then it should be fun for summer listening.

Tickets are $27 for a general seating cabaret-style (poor acoustic) venue. How does that compare to the small venues in the states?

Snowie

I think the last show I went to at a small venue in Philadelphia (I think it was Gomez??) was about $15 US. I really can't see myself spending big bucks for a "popular" band any longer and sitting far away. Those little clubs and the low price do spoil ya! :)

Dusty Chalk
06-13-2005, 07:31 PM
I think I must love hip hop!Kinda makes sense, you being a bunny and all...

newtrix1
06-14-2005, 02:28 AM
I think I must love hip hop! Are you familiar with his album KEXPMF? Do you know the reggae-ish song I was talking about?

Snowb

Shaggy blends reggae & hip-hop. Kinda radio friendly sound, and nothing that's gonna nourish the musical soul, but his material is fun, fun, fun! Great for this time of year (it's been HOT 'round these parts lately!).
Shaggy albums can probably be found pretty cheap (even in Canada ;) ) on the used market, or maybe one of your Tricky pals can whip you up a comp if you're interested.