Listening Room [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Listening Room

Aric M L
06-09-2005, 08:35 PM
So I have the rare opportunity of building my own audio room, which of course I will take advantage of, as I'm moving into a new house. The basement where I will be building it has wood (Pergo?) floors and walls that I can put up wherever I want. So what I need to know is, where can I find information on the ratios you want the size of a room to be ideally. I know all kinda of people have made ratios and put their name on them, but if you could tell me where to read about this it would be awesome. Also if any of you know any other tips, like what kind of drywall or soundproofing or insulation to use that would be incredibly helpful. I basically get to start with a clean slate and want to do this as well as I can. Thanks for the help!

MCF
06-10-2005, 09:07 AM
but I would definetely think that carpet would be better than wood floors for listening to music/home theatre....I have wood floors in my theatre room and it really causes some bad acoustics.....a very large rug or carpet wood (no pun intended) be better....

Eric Z
06-11-2005, 05:39 PM
I agree with MCF- at least have a decent size throw rug to help muffle the sound in your basement. I do like the look and maintenance of wood/laminate flooring, but it usually causes problems acoustically.

Geoffcin
06-11-2005, 08:08 PM
So I have the rare opportunity of building my own audio room, which of course I will take advantage of, as I'm moving into a new house. The basement where I will be building it has wood (Pergo?) floors and walls that I can put up wherever I want. So what I need to know is, where can I find information on the ratios you want the size of a room to be ideally. I know all kinda of people have made ratios and put their name on them, but if you could tell me where to read about this it would be awesome. Also if any of you know any other tips, like what kind of drywall or soundproofing or insulation to use that would be incredibly helpful. I basically get to start with a clean slate and want to do this as well as I can. Thanks for the help!

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?area=insights&content_id=26&pagestring=Room+Setup

This is the right rooms settings to start from. I used these dimensions for the last set of speakers I installed, and they were perfect within an inch. The man knows what he's talking about!

N. Abstentia
06-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Definitely go carpet.

Aric M L
06-14-2005, 09:18 PM
Yeah I'll have to put carpeting in, I'm actually trying to budget for acoustic treatments right now and I have to say Auralex sets off my B.S. alarms big time. Is there anywhere else I can get Melamine foam and make my own bass traps? Because I can't honestly feel ok with paying 75 a piece for foam thats also used as sponges and heat blocking. Or if theres anything else any of you use for treatments that seems to work well?