Porcupine Tee blows the roof off of the Fillmore [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Tee blows the roof off of the Fillmore

Troy
06-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Crawled up 101 in rainy rush hour traffic to get to the show. I managed a halfhour stop at the Amoeba Records store to score a couple CDs (The new "Doves" and "Head of Femur"). I wandered into the hallowed hall shortly after the doors opened and crossed tracks with a couple of guys from another message baord. Nice guys, we hung out and talked music before the show and between sets. Made the down time pass fast. Their tastes in music are vastly different from mine (Zeul and lots of oddball Euro-prog like Magma), yet we all found ourselves crossing over at PT. This band clearly appeals to a LOT of people.

Robert Fripp opened. The man needs to be b!tch slapped for the set he performed. I LOVE a lot of Bob's work done over the years, but this stuff . . . He played about a 1/2 hour of soundscapey "Frippertronic" B.S. It was just him and a guitar playing and looping and playing over that and looping and playing over that and looping that etc. The pieces were interminably dull. Dense and noisy. Each piece sounded like the other, this buzzy string driven drone that was utterly devoid of rhythm. I suppose that this would be fine if played on a lazy sunday morning, folding laundry, but it was wholy incorrect for a "rock show" gig opening for what is essentially a very loud and powerful metal band. The crowd was quite patient and respectful. No heckling, but I sure saw a lot of people staring at the ceiling . . . It was just boring, and I think a large part of the audience was just as fidgety and bored as I was.

Then PT came out and everyone got well. Wow, these guys really freakin' rawk! This aint no wussy lightweight airy-fairy prog band. PT has metamorphasized into a metal band, all the way. Yeah, you can't miss their artistic, Pink Floyd-y leanings, but the order of the day is definitely hardcore powerchord action. The drummer, Gavin Harrison, was completely over the top insane. He has this freewheeling style, spraying 64th notes in every gap and hole. Keyboard player, Richard Barbieri laid down his atmospheric 2 fisted minor chords all night. He never took a solo, but his layered and spooky contribution to the band is invaluable. He's one of my favorite keys players because he shows remarkable restraint. Overall, a super-tight band. This is my 4th time seeing them and they just get more and more polished.

I was hoping Fripp would take the stage during the PT set and fire off one of his screwball, square sounding solos, but he never did, the snotty old fart.

Looking around during the show, the place was totally packed. PT gets no airplay. They aren't on any big soundtracks. No MTV exposure. Where did all these people hear about this band? I can't figure it out. It was mostly an over 30 crowd. Lots of pot smoking. Lots of wives and girlfriends. Overall, a very satisfying and fun concert experience.

Well, one bad thing . . . When I ordered the ticket a month ago I got raped. The face value was $25, but I ended up paying $39.50 by the time I was done with taxes, "convenience" fees and surcharges. WTF is THAT about? This is SO out of control, it's obscene. I'm still pretty pissed about it. But this concert was great, and when I look at the prices people are willing to pay to see the Stones this year (I've seen 8th row tix for $5000 listed online) I feel a little better about it.

3-LockBox
06-09-2005, 09:05 AM
Well, one bad thing . . . When I ordered the ticket a month ago I got raped. The face value was $25, but I ended up paying $39.50 by the time I was done with taxes, "convenience" fees and surcharges. WTF is THAT about? This is SO out of control, it's obscene. I'm still pretty pissed about it. But this concert was great, and when I look at the prices people are willing to pay to see the Stones this year (I've seen 8th row tix for $5000 listed online) I feel a little better about it.

You see, this way the recording companies can kill concerts and blame downloading and bootlegging.

But I'm glad to PT is developing a following despite not being pushed down our throats like the bland Coldplay. I've seen these guys play twice on TV and both times I was unimpressed. I'd love to see PT in person, though.

Thanx for the review.

3LB (PT fanboy)

BarryL
06-09-2005, 10:15 AM
I've seen these guys play twice on TV and both times I was unimpressed. I'd love to see PT in person, though.

Thanx for the review.

3LB (PT fanboy)

I was extremely impressed when I saw the band live about two years ago, closing for Opeth. Steve Wilson was absolutely amazing, trouncing around in his bare feet. The band was tight as leotards with an absolutely stunning rhythm section and great keys. Wilson clearly leads this band, but what a band! Metal? Yep. Only way to describe them live. And really heavy. Steve Wilson's career has clearly been built from the bottom up. He's done a great job, considering the whole thing was started 10+ years ago as a lark. He's now shaping the face of 21st Century music. Good for him (and me).

richmon
06-09-2005, 10:40 AM
Sounds much like Philly earlier in the month, only Tunnels opened, with their distored/processed lead vibes. They were interesting for 15 minutes or so, then became a snoozzzzefest.
Philly was packed, saw persons or color, people with young kids, very diverse audience. They rocked, but the PA system was awlful, downright sucky, really hindered my ability to enjoy the show. Several others remarked about that too.
I also love Barbieri's keywork, always wondered if he might develop into the next Klaus Shultz.
I picked up a PTree sampler at the show that has 3 songs from Richard. Based on that, his future is definitaly in the tree, didn't hear anything to believe he'll have a solo career.

Talked to the merch vendor, they'll be doing a fall tour, playing alot more of the old catalog.

Troy
06-09-2005, 11:15 AM
I also love Barbieri's keywork, always wondered if he might develop into the next Klaus Shultz.
I picked up a PTree sampler at the show that has 3 songs from Richard. Based on that, his future is definitaly in the tree, didn't hear anything to believe he'll have a solo career.

Barbieri was in the 70s/80s artrock band Japan. That's really where he developed his sound. I have a discs of him with other members of Japan like Mick Karn and Steve Jansen and he's all about atmosphere and texture on these discs as well.

I'd equate him with a guy like Larry Fast. Old fashioned analog synth washes galore.

Demetrio
06-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Looking around during the show, the place was totally packed. PT gets no airplay. They aren't on any big soundtracks. No MTV exposure. Where did all these people hear about this band?
Hey, Troy, I guess many of them are converted people from AudioAsylum. :-))

Congrats for the great review, how I wish I could be at one of these PT concerts some day...

Any rumours about that so awaited PT concert DVD over there?

Best regards,
Demetrio.

Swish
06-09-2005, 12:16 PM
PT came out and really blew. Wow, these guys really freakin' blow!

I knew you'd come around and start hating that nasty prog music Troy.

Swish

-Jar-
06-09-2005, 12:46 PM
I should have gone to PT and skipped Priest/Queensryche.

Oh well, doesn't sound like they're going to be breaking up or anything. Hopefully I'll have another chance soon.

-jar

CarlV
06-09-2005, 03:52 PM
Good description of last night's show Troy.

Robert Fripp opened. The man needs to be b!tch slapped for the set he performed
Thank you very much.
I would say the show was about 80% filled fwiw.
I did buy the re-vamped Up The Downstair at the showand is great and worth going after, there were no DVD's. Lots of 35. T shirts though! :eek:
I buy tickets from the box office in advance at face value. I bought tickets for Steve Kimmock, John Prine, Hot Tuna, and P Tree and saved a minimum of 28. in fees in the one shot purchase. :)

Carl

Hawkeye
06-10-2005, 05:38 AM
Excellent review, thanks. I'm still kicking myself for having missed them about three weeks ago. They played an hour away and I didn't know about it until after the fact.

ForeverAutumn
06-10-2005, 06:53 PM
I knew you'd come around and start hating that nasty prog music Troy.

Swish

Such a closed mind. tsk tsk. :(
;)

Great review Troy. Now I'm kicking myself even harder for missing them here, this time around. But I'll be keeping an eye out for a repeat tour in the fall.

Swish
06-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Such a closed mind. tsk tsk. :(
;)

Great review Troy. Now I'm kicking myself even harder for missing them here, this time around. But I'll be keeping an eye out for a repeat tour in the fall.

I can't imagine that you could kick yourself very hard...unless you're very flexible. ;)

Swish

kingcrim05
06-12-2005, 07:01 PM
They were excellent in Minneapolis a few weeks ago....

The opening act did suck though and i was very disappointed in how late they took the stage.....

daigoro
06-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Couldn't agree with ya more! As good as their live albums sound, there is no substitute for seeing them live. Their newer stuff definitely has a hard rock edge to it and the crowd was on their feet at The Grove at Anaheim despite the lame lounge act table seating. I just wished they could have squeezed off a few more songs from some of their older albums. I don't think they touched Sky Moves Sideways, Stupid Dream, or Signify. Only got a couple off Lightbulb Sun. Still, well worth the $$$ for the show.

That Fripp guy was hooooooooooorible! For God's sake, he should at least get a slide show or some lasers or ANYTHING to enhance his act. He may as well just brought in a whale song CD and gone out for a drink. Definitely a mismatch for PT fans.

-Jar-
06-13-2005, 12:30 PM
I think I saw a ghost.

Troy
06-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Gee whiz, Diagoro crawls out of the woodwork!

Nice to see ya!

C-Z
06-16-2005, 07:51 AM
another ghost

Cuoldn't use my old CZ - three character min on this board.

Thought of my old pals here on Monday the 13th when I saw Porcupine Tree in San Diego. Been gone for a long spell while life grabbed me by the cohones (how do you spell cohones?).

P-Tree was supposed to do a 4PM acoustic set at Lou's records (hey Troy - remember when I posted long ago about seeing Mike Keneally at Lou's?). They canceled cause the sound check for the regular evening show was at 4:30 at the House of Blues downtown - dang promoter. Lou's felt bad, so they gave a few of us who showed up concert tickets to HOB, and passes to see the band after the show.

Fripp was way out there like y'all said, but the crowd was embarrasingly rude. They talked VERY loudly during the whole set, and even into P-Tree's. They were louder than Fripp was. WIlson said partway through PT's set that this was the quietest/least interactive crowd the whole tour, which snapped most to attention and it got better from there on.

They were great, despite the less than perfect sound system. Why do they insist on turning it so loud that it starts to distort, and you have to use ear protection most of the time to prevent permanent damage. I like the power of a live show - but geez - it would sound way better and still rock if they eased back a little. Anyway, Harrison is one seriously innovative, powerful drummer. Like you Troy, I really appreciate Barbieri's understated style on keys, he is a large part of the atmosphere PT creates. Wilson was in great voice and fingers of course. No posers in this band, they just wanted to play their stuff for the audience, Wilson being quite content for the second guitarist/singer (John Powell?) to take center stage at times. Especially memorable IMO was the main show climax of "Even Less" from Stupid Dream, and "Blackest Eyes" from In Adsentia. both favs of mine.

After the show, they were very cool, and seemed genuinely surprised and in disagreement with my statement/question that hanging with a bunch of people they don't know is probably the last thing they want to do after a long show and tour (only 2 more dates after SD, it is done now I think). I could not resist requesting that they continue to also release their albums on high resolution multi-channel format discs like they have for In Absentia and Deadwing. I love those versions, and frequently use them on unsuspectiong victims in my home theater.

I'm rambling on forever - gonna shut up before the few of you who remember when I was here many moons ago ask me to go back under the rock again.

Troy
06-16-2005, 09:37 AM
another ghost

Wow, thanks for posting that!

Great to see you round. Hope you can find the time to participate in this ghost town.

2nd guitarist was named John Wesley, not John Powell. John Wesley Powell was the first white explorer of the Grand Canyon. I can see where you could mix those names up.

C-Z
06-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Hey Troy,

Ha - great call, and what an idiot I am - that is exactly where my confusion came from - as a kid one of my favorite movies was The Ten Who Dared about Powell's first trip through the GC. He also logged a few first ascents on peaks out west

hope I can find the time also - thanks for the welcome!

daigoro
06-16-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey there Troy. Nice to see many of the old veterans are still hangin out here. Been super busy with buying a new place, getting married, and a bunch of other stuff. My rig has been disassembled for quite a while, but will soon be humming along with many a proggy favorite and no doubt I shall make a return to this old haunt for more sage advice.

Howz the 3D thing going?

D

daigoro
06-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Man that would have been sweet. I would definitely have been there had I known about the appearance. See what happens when you don't make a regular stop to AR? Doh!

I've been going to Lou's since the 80's. I'm not surprised Lou's kicked down for the real fans who showed up. That's just the kind of indie shop they are. Try getting that at a Sam Goody's!

I'm really disappointed to hear that the SD fans were so discourteous. I mean Fripp was a bore, but if you don't like it you can always go to the lobby and get a beer. Even worse to hear that PT had to give the crowd a verbal shot in the arm to get them going. Maybe I was lucky I went to The Grove. The crowd was a little subdued for the first few songs, but I blame that mostly on the awkward perpendicular dinner seating and the snoozefest opening act. Do they have the same kind of seating at the HOB? Sure hope not. Save that for Wayne Newton, thank you. Anyway, the crowd got into it all on their own (even saw a few longhairs banging their heads like they were at a Pantera concert) and the sound at The Grove was pretty good too. Not overly loud and pretty clean. We were in the 4th tier though, so maybe it was just the distance from the stage. To be honest though, I like a loud show just as long as the distortion isn't bad.

Catch you on the repost.

D

another ghost

Cuoldn't use my old CZ - three character min on this board.

Thought of my old pals here on Monday the 13th when I saw Porcupine Tree in San Diego. Been gone for a long spell while life grabbed me by the cohones (how do you spell cohones?).

P-Tree was supposed to do a 4PM acoustic set at Lou's records (hey Troy - remember when I posted long ago about seeing Mike Keneally at Lou's?). They canceled cause the sound check for the regular evening show was at 4:30 at the House of Blues downtown - dang promoter. Lou's felt bad, so they gave a few of us who showed up concert tickets to HOB, and passes to see the band after the show.

Fripp was way out there like y'all said, but the crowd was embarrasingly rude. They talked VERY loudly during the whole set, and even into P-Tree's. They were louder than Fripp was. WIlson said partway through PT's set that this was the quietest/least interactive crowd the whole tour, which snapped most to attention and it got better from there on.

They were great, despite the less than perfect sound system. Why do they insist on turning it so loud that it starts to distort, and you have to use ear protection most of the time to prevent permanent damage. I like the power of a live show - but geez - it would sound way better and still rock if they eased back a little. Anyway, Harrison is one seriously innovative, powerful drummer. Like you Troy, I really appreciate Barbieri's understated style on keys, he is a large part of the atmosphere PT creates. Wilson was in great voice and fingers of course. No posers in this band, they just wanted to play their stuff for the audience, Wilson being quite content for the second guitarist/singer (John Powell?) to take center stage at times. Especially memorable IMO was the main show climax of "Even Less" from Stupid Dream, and "Blackest Eyes" from In Adsentia. both favs of mine.

After the show, they were very cool, and seemed genuinely surprised and in disagreement with my statement/question that hanging with a bunch of people they don't know is probably the last thing they want to do after a long show and tour (only 2 more dates after SD, it is done now I think). I could not resist requesting that they continue to also release their albums on high resolution multi-channel format discs like they have for In Absentia and Deadwing. I love those versions, and frequently use them on unsuspectiong victims in my home theater.

I'm rambling on forever - gonna shut up before the few of you who remember when I was here many moons ago ask me to go back under the rock again.

C-Z
06-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey D,

Yeah - I remember you mentioning Lou's a few times before - thought this might get your attention.

No seats in HOB. Not enough people at the PT show to open teh balcony, much less fill the main floor. They did say they are coming back in October. Be there or be square. I discussed the crowd with Wilson for a minute or two, and he said that they will indeed be back, and they don't give up after only one try. Then he said after two maybe they would.

A few poser rockers also in the crowd here. One butthead screamed with his girlfriend until PT went to a heavy section of a tune, then he'd flop around like a metallica groupie pretending to be into it, then go back to yapping as soon as the song mellowed a bit. Wanted to b*tch slap him.

I don't want a soft show - I am known as a guy who cranks tunes withj pretty reckless abandon - but I don't want it numbing or ring inducing either. Did not spoil the show by any means, just not perfect.

Good to talk at you

CZ

Troy
06-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Hey there Troy. Howz the 3D thing going?

D

Check your PMs.

daigoro
06-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Hey D,
Not enough people at the PT show to open teh balcony, much less fill the main floor. They did say they are coming back in October. Be there or be square. I discussed the crowd with Wilson for a minute or two, and he said that they will indeed be back, and they don't give up after only one try. Then he said after two maybe they would.
CZ

Blame the low turn out on the internet. I was so excited to see that PT was coming to town according to the PT site and tried to buy tickets to the HOB show. Much to my chagrin, I could find no show listed on either the HOB site or Ticketmaster. I figured the show was cancelled. That's why I wound up driving up to Orange County to check them out at the Grove. I was reeeeeeeallly annoyed when I checked again on the night they were playing and found them listed. I would have seen them again if I hadn't already had plans that night.

They had a sell out show in Anaheim. Standing room only and precious little of that. I am sure there were lots of San Diegans who would have been there if they could have bought tickets on line! Grrrrrrrr!!

-Jar-
06-16-2005, 04:08 PM
another ghost

Wow.. welcome back!

Dusty Chalk
06-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Hello, Chrises...Chrisses...?

I forget...I think CZ's name was Chris...or was that CC?...I know Daigoro's was...One of youse needs to change your name to Steve...we don't have enough active Steves on the board...

C-Z
06-17-2005, 01:14 PM
thanks for the welcome, Jar and Dusty.

I was, and remain, Chris.

CZ