Cinderella Man Review [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella Man Review

20to20K
06-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Caught this last Sunday at the Arundel Muvico Terra-plex...980 screens I think!

Outstanding acting, story and boxing scenes. For a change the critics hype
is well reported. Even Zellwegger, who I find to be overbearing most of the time,
was excellent as the supportive wife with a well cloaked backbone.

Russell Crowe character, James Braddock, accurate or not, was a very personable fella. Impeccable comedic timing and very laid back and self depricating. Russell Crow really has to be able to act to pull that off! The scene where he handled the confrontation in the restaurant with Max Baer is hiliarious if you considering what Crowe is going through right now in real life (and has repeatedly in the past)

As mentioned...the fighting scenes were excellent. Using Angelo Dundee as a technical consultant certainly paid dividends. The hits looked real...the pain suffered looked genuine and the period backdrops and garb looked authentic. And even though you know the ending, you still had a strong sense of suspense during the Baer fight.

I'll give it a 9.5/10..

kexodusc
06-08-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm not surprised the fights look real...I'm not sure Russel Crowe could pull a punch for the life of him.

RGA
06-10-2005, 09:20 PM
I saw this today and i think it's the most mature and best film from Ron Howard by quite a large margin. He avoids some of the pitfalls of A Beautiful Mind and the Shmaltz.

In fact i did nto know Ron Howard directed it until the end credits. I was at the mall kinda heard it was good and decided to stroll in. I was stunned when his name came up as the director.

It may not be saying much to say it's better than Rocky but I will and it is. I'm rather surprised it's out this early because it is best picture calibur in my view. It has a heart, it has brains, it has excellent boxing sequences and it has quality acting. It also walks the line of cliche without falling to the dark side.

I agree with you on Zelwegger who does the best work I've, thus far, seen from her.

8.5 / 10

anamorphic96
06-12-2005, 06:46 PM
Great Flick. 9.0 / 10. This will probably become one of Ron Howards most cherished films. Truly great filmaking in everyway.

paper warrior
06-16-2005, 04:31 PM
I had to see it when I heard the buzz in the ads something about "one of the greatest movies ever made." I thought it was better then than Rocky but probably not as good as the Incredibles last year. But everybody has an opinion. Though as movie reviews go I found one that's the "greatest" especially the part about the message of the movie:

http://www.midweek.com/Hot%20Ticket/hot%20ticket.html

Ex Lion Tamer
06-21-2005, 07:36 AM
I disagree somewhat on the boxing scenes, though well done, in the "you are in the ring" feel, the boxing fan in me wanted many more wide-angle, real boxing coverage type shots. Going almost exclusively for the extreme close-up shots, meant they didn't have the burden to choreograph realistic looking boxing scenes, that a boxing fan can appreciate, and can recognize actual boxing skill. I guess I don't want the director to put me in the ring, I want him to put me ringside.

It was an enjoyable, if somewhat schmaltzy movie, that is nowhere near the movie that Raging Bull is, either in quality of story-telling, or in realistic boxing scenes.

Kam
06-21-2005, 08:15 AM
kinda agree with Ex-LT on the boxing scenes. the up-close stuff was good, but then got repetitive. we get the idea, now show us the sweet science. ((just like batman begins, way too many closeups, no choreography).

other than that, was a really good movie, but not even best movie of the year so far imo, crash is #1 that i've seen. Russel Crowe, however, dissapears into another role. he is one talented, ornery, pugilistic aussie. say what ya will about his personal life, but the dude can act. rene zellweger is 'eh' she didnt hurt the movie, but i was never a big fan of hers, and her face seems to really have shrunk, or maybe its the squinting thing someone else mentioned.

paul giamotti is another talented mofo and its about time the max baer dude got more work, he was SO diabolically evil in Long Kiss Goodnight, played that a-hole assassin perfectly, and then didnt get much work till this. Anywho, definitely a good movie, but would still put it under rocky and raging bull in the boxing movie genre.

peace
k2