Titanium vs Teteron dome tweeters [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Titanium vs Teteron dome tweeters

Darcher84
01-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Now this is very important to me since I researched and found out that my Alesis uses Teteron dome tweeter not silk dome tweeters like other alesis are. Now what what I need to know is what is better for critical recording will the Titanium tweeters like thats are on the JBL S26 be better or the Teteron dome tweeters on the alesis would be better for critical recording?

spacedeckman
01-01-2004, 01:21 PM
The material used to make a dome is usually the most important thing to be concerned with. Overall design and integration into the system is far more important.

Personally, I think the tweeter used in the JBL S series is fairly weak. It lacks extension and detail. It is not one of the best that JBL has produced.

The Alesis, I have never heard, so I cannot comment there. I would be surprised if it wasn't better than the JBL, but that is just a guess. A guess not based on material, but on experience with one, and knowing a little bit about the companies involved.

Darcher84
01-01-2004, 01:27 PM
The material used to make a dome is usually the most important thing to be concerned with. Overall design and integration into the system is far more important.

Personally, I think the tweeter used in the JBL S series is fairly weak. It lacks extension and detail. It is not one of the best that JBL has produced.

The Alesis, I have never heard, so I cannot comment there. I would be surprised if it wasn't better than the JBL, but that is just a guess. A guess not based on material, but on experience with one, and knowing a little bit about the companies involved.

Will it sound better if I turn the treble more to make it stronger? but will that make it like a pro studio monitor?

spacedeckman
01-03-2004, 12:46 PM
No, turning your treble control up won't help. It will give you a nasty peak about 5k but won't do anything about extension. Treble controls are best for toning things down, but they are usually not very effective at that either because the effect is too broad based.

Darcher84
01-03-2004, 01:08 PM
I noticed that the Athena speakers like the AS-B1 have the same tweeters as my Alesis Point 7 has but are those tweeters better than titanium dome tweeters used on JBL S26?

markw
01-03-2004, 02:50 PM
All the speakers you've mentioned are solidly built and are liked by some portion of the population. Only your ears will tell you where you fall on this matter.

I think a little more time spent listening to speakers would be more productive than this mental masturbation about constantly comparing specs and asking others opinions. Why so concerned about others opinions?

Sometimes, ya gotta make a decision and live with it. ...or take 'em back after listening to them.

spacedeckman
01-03-2004, 08:20 PM
The Athenas use a Teteron tweeter too, but I'm not sure if they share any other design attributes, and would rather doubt they did. Again, don't worry about what the tweeter is made of, but be more concerned about if YOU like the sound.

You are really tied into this whole titanium thing. There are some really good titanium tweeters out there. JBL makes some of them. They are not the ones they used on the S series speakers.

I'm not sure of what your goal is here. If you want some small speakers that would work for monitors, there are a ton of them. If you think that a brand that has certain speakers that are used as monitors by some people automatically makes that a great choice for your speakers, you would be making a mistake.

Go out tomorrow and just listen to speakers. Forget about tweeter materials, woofer materials, watt ratings, # of ways, ...pretty much anything you would attach to the decision which is nothing but baggage. What matters with speakers is less of what stuff went into it, but the way it all went together. You are headed down the wrong path.

RGA
01-03-2004, 08:42 PM
You say critical recording. What are you doing with this speakers? What are you looking for them to do? What Sound do you expect or want to achieve?

Anything can be used in a recording studio. Says nothing about whether the speaker is any good however.

I would go out and listen to a set of Sennheiser HD 600s running through a good headphone amp. Compare the quality to speakers in most average rooms. The Senns will likely be better than most any speaker you will hear. This will give you a reasonable starting point to tell what is wrong with most spekaers on the market...and help you find a speaker that is tonally and timberally accurate. Once you find that - it's a matter of finding how well the speaker handles dynamics, transiants, attack/decay and imaging/soundstaging.