B&W DM601S3 VS Paradigm Monitor 3 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W DM601S3 VS Paradigm Monitor 3

ninetynine
06-07-2005, 05:40 PM
I basically rounded out my choices to these models of speakers. They fit well into my budget and I will be auditionning them side by side as soon as I get a chance to do so. In the meantime can I get some feedback on these speakers? How different are they from each other? I have to mention that I will be using a Rotel RA-1062 integrated amp for a 2 channel audio system. Also, the room in which they are going to be put in is fairly small. I'd like something that would sound good with all types of music because I am not limited at listening to only one genre , I enjoy many types of music. I would like to have personal opinions and comments to give me an idea. Thanks!

oddeoowphil38
06-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Hey if it was me I would go with the B&W DM602s3 instead. They are much better than the Paradigm mini's IMHO and certainly better than the DM601s3's especially for 2-channel listening. I thought the DM602s3 was closer to the Paradigm Studio 20's in terms of performance. However, the Studio20's no doubt had better bass extension and slightly better imaging. But you are the one that will have to decide which one you prefer. Be sure to also consider the Ascend CBM-170 and the PSB Image B25. Good luck.

ninetynine
06-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Hey if it was me I would go with the B&W DM602s3 instead. They are much better than the Paradigm mini's IMHO and certainly better than the DM601s3's especially for 2-channel listening. I thought the DM602s3 was closer to the Paradigm Studio 20's in terms of performance. However, the Studio20's no doubt had better bass extension and slightly better imaging. But you are the one that will have to decide which one you prefer. Be sure to also consider the Ascend CBM-170 and the PSB Image B25. Good luck.

how different are the DM602 S3 from the DM601 S3, im on a tight budget so I wouldn't want to go over the price of the DM601 S3. Also, I already have a pair of PSB Image 2b ( last years model of the B25 same thing pretty much ) Can you explain how different the psb image 25 is compared to the DM601 S3 from B&W? I know it would be better to actually physically test both side by side but just to get a general idea it would help . Thanks.

paul_pci
06-08-2005, 02:34 PM
how different are the DM602 S3 from the DM601 S3, im on a tight budget so I wouldn't want to go over the price of the DM601 S3. Also, I already have a pair of PSB Image 2b ( last years model of the B25 same thing pretty much ) Can you explain how different the psb image 25 is compared to the DM601 S3 from B&W? I know it would be better to actually physically test both side by side but just to get a general idea it would help . Thanks.

The 602 will give you more bass and probably a bigger soundstage than the 601, but that's about it. I have 601s as mains, and if I had a bigger room, I might be tempted to throw down the extra money on the 602, but I just don't see that you can justify the extra cost in many cases.

RGA
06-08-2005, 04:38 PM
The difference much of the time is bass -- though the 602 will aslo have more ultimate headroom than the 601. I like the 601 over the Monitor 3 but it's reasonably close to me.

Frankly if this is just going to be for music then I'd do a lot of research and buy used. My Wharfedales were ~2200.00 back ion 1991 -- today they and most every sepaker that price at that time could be had for about $350.00US. If you get what was good then, now it will still very likely best most of the speakers new in your budget. Add another $100.00 to have them restored (re-foamed or new rubber surrounds on drivers and cleaned up a bit) and you'll get a very good set of speakers for little money. Not unlike buying a used Rolls Royce fixing it up or buying a Ford Focus for the same money -- I'll take the used Rolls thanks.

If you like B&W I would look for the Matrix 805 (this is the one that is used in recording studios and better than the new series anyway. If you're really patient you will see them come up fro sale from time to time. Another one to look out for is the CDM 2SE ($1200.00cdn new).

oddeoowphil38
06-08-2005, 05:32 PM
To be honest I have not ever heard the B&W DM601 S3 or the PSB B25 but I have heard both the DM602 S3 and the Paradigm Monitor 3 v.3 quite extensively. I am impressed with them both. However, the Monitor 3 has a larger soundstage as well as lower bass extension. On the other hand, the DM 602 S3 sound was very "lush", laid back and a bit more accurate to me. The 602 S3 was more on par with the Paradigm Studio 20. Once again, the Studio 20 had lower bass extension that was tight, controllled, and well defined. Imaging was also a bit better with the Studio 20. The 602 S3 was a lil harsh in the upper registers whereas the studio 20 was a bit more airy. If it was me and I had to choose between the Monitor 3 and the B&W DM 602 S3 I would definately go with the B&W. Now if I had the money for the Studio 20's then it would be a no brainer because the Studio 20's are my fav period. Now I must say I still have not yet auditioned the Ascend CBM-170 or the CMT-340m yet nor the PSB Image B25 but will be doing so in the very near future. Chances are I will soon own one of the following set-ups:
1. Ascend CBM-170 for my fronts
Ascend CMT-340c for my center
Ascend CBM-170 for my rears

2. Paradigm Monitor 3 v.4 for my fronts
Paradigm CC-370 v.4 for my center
Paradigm minis v.4 for my rears

3. Paradigm Studio 20's for my fronts
Paradigm CC-470 for my center
Use my Paradigm Titans v.3 for my rears due to my budget

4. Ascend CMT-340m for my fronts
Ascend CMT-340c for my center
Ascend CBM-170 for my rear