I need more lazy music like ZERO 7 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I need more lazy music like ZERO 7

Demetrio
06-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Just got ZERO 7 "When It Falls" this week and didn't stop listening to this cd since then.

I loved the kinda "lazy sound" of Zero 7 and would like to get more of this.

Any suggestions in the same vein?

Thanks in advance.
Demetrio.

-Jar-
06-07-2005, 04:10 PM
Just got ZERO 7 "When It Falls" this week and didn't stop listening to this cd since then.

Thanks in advance.
Demetrio.

your timing is great.. I just listened to your RECYCLED comp a few days ago and was thinking that the Zero 7 song ("Give it Away") was very nice.

Judging from that song, my first rec. would be for Air's MOON SAFARI. Very similar. Definately pick that one up. It's just one of those lush feel-good albums. After that, I would suggest Stereolab's DOTS AND LOOPS. But, I haven't heard that album you mentioned, so I'm not sure how they sound these days, probably similar. I don't know too many other groups that have that sound, but I know there are a couple.
Bent, Morcheeba, Beth Orton and Mono might be a few you'd want to check out.

-jar

KEXPMF
06-07-2005, 09:30 PM

Thanks in advance.
Demetrio.

I have 4 entire playlists on my iTunes that I call "sleep" music (they include lots of Zero 7).
Jar's suggestions, ESPECIALLY AIR, are excellent.
I wish I could copy and paste the playlists from iTunes. Anyone know how to do that? Or copy/paste what's on my screen? I've seen some people do that.

Anyway, here are some more suggestions (some include specific songs):
Beta Band - I know
Massive Attack - Black Milk
Massive Attack - Group Four
9 Lazy 9 - Swing Pool
Tosca - Every Day and Every Night
Thievery Corporation
Julee Cruise - Beachcomber Voodoo
Groove Armada (from Veritigo or Goodbye Country, Hello Nightclub)
Cat Power
April March
Sufjan Stevens

Dusty Chalk
06-08-2005, 05:10 AM
The new Noise Unit, Voyeur, might fit in with that -- samples here (http://www.metropolis-records.com/artists/?artist=noiseuni). Not the first two or three albums, though, that's industrial -- kinda the opposite of lazy, but if this is what you're looking for, they (FLA/Delerium/Intermix/Synaesthesia/etc.) have done a lot like this.

nobody
06-08-2005, 12:29 PM
I like a lot of really mellow electronic stuff. One I'd recommend that's pretty under the radar is Mighty Math: Spangled Up of a Tumbler. Hard to describe, but it does have a lazy vibe to it that may be something you'd be interested in.

Air is a good pick, I'd look for Premieres Symptomes, a collection of their 12" stuff. To me, it's the closest thing to Zero 7 in their catalog.

Theivery Corporation should be on your list, and I'd be surprised if you didn't like 'em. Mirror Copnspiricy is the one from them that's probably gotten the best reviews, but personally, I really like Richest man in Babylon whcih is more heavy on the dub and reggae influences than any of their others. All their stuff has world music rhythmic influences.

I'll also mention one by ISAN titled Lucky Cat. It's mre ambient than anything else. Analog synths that are very lazy indeed.

I'm a huge Massive Attack fan, but not sure they are too close to Zero 7 in sound. Protection and Blue Lines would probably be closest. Protection is the most laid back of the two.

Tons of stuff really, looks like you're piling up some good suggestions.

MomurdA
06-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Hmm I love downtempo electronic music. Practically all i listen to now.
Try:
Morcheeba
Thievery Corp.
Portishead
Air
Autechre(more abstract)
Tortoise(not exactly electronica, but listen and you will like)
Cinematic Orchestra
Stereolab
Loquat
Flunk
Halou
Alucidnation
Sounds From The Ground
The Postal Service
Irresistable Force
Metamatics
I could go on listing but i think i covered most of them here. Out of those air, The postal service, morcheeba, thievery corp, tortoise, cinematic orchestra, portishead, autechre above the others. Oh yea almost forgot. Medeski Martin and Wood-End of the World Party. Its their newest album i think it came out in september. Produced with a dust bro, this album just kicks @$$ from beginning to end. First 3 songs themselves are worth the price
L8

Demetrio
06-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all suggestions, I'm taking note of them and checking samples at Amazon. So far, I have enjoyed a lot the samples I listened from Azure Ray and Alpha.

And since some of you mentioned Morcheeba, and that I really enjoyed a concert video I saw the other day on DirecTV (some Montreaux Festival edition, featuring Morcheeba and Radiohead, among others), I would like to know your impressions about this specific DVD that's available at a Brazilian record on line store:

MORCHEEBA - From Brixton To Beijing

How is the performance of the band on this dvd and what do you say about the audio & video quality of this recording?

Thanks for all the inputs, and please keep them coming.

Demetrio.

Dave_G
06-09-2005, 04:37 AM
Trey to find an old Devo title called "Devo - E-Z Listening Disc".

It'll have ya snoring in 5 minutes.

It's Devo doing Muzak stuff.

Dave