HDMI suggestions? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDMI suggestions?

Breezer88888
06-07-2005, 05:20 AM
I finally took the leap and got a Sony RP LCD (55WF655). It has one HDMI input and of course I'd like to see the best picture possible. I will soon have a Dish HD receiver that has an HDMI output. While I hear thru the discussion boards that component video cables may do fine, I'm looking for an HDMI cable (reasonably priced please) in case I pick up a future upconverting DVD player that needs that connection in order to upconvert.

In case anyone might know, what might be the difference between a $30 cable from a $130 cable? Before anyone says to spend $30 on a calibration disk like Avia, its already on its way. Thanks.

kexodusc
06-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Shouldn't be any difference in quality in the cables...Those cables are waaaay overpriced right now as is...Same thing happened with component cables a few years back.

Be careful using HDMI with your dish, a lot of dish recievers/networks don't support HDMI yet and results are quite mixed.

Also, depending on whether your TV or receiver are better at converting the signals, component video might produce better results.
It should not produce any inferior results...keep in mind HDMI was not made to replace Component video, though at some point in the future it might. You might be better off saving your money for now until you really need it? Of course, it's always fun to try new things.

Breezer88888
06-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Thanks Kex,
Actually I've read that from you in another post a while back. Good advice. I'll use the HDMI for an upconverting DVD player. I've been waiting patiently for Sony to put out their next series so I can match it with the TV. I like Denon too, but have no idea about the macro-blocking issue, or how to avoid it. I don't know if its worth starting another thread out there, but if you have any info, please chime in.
Since I'm so patient, I should probably wait for HD/Blu Ray. I think those players will up convert standard DVDs - why wouldn't they? But how much $$$ and when is the big question.
Thanks,
Breezer

kexodusc
06-07-2005, 07:39 AM
Waiting for HD-DVD/Blu Ray is probably safe bet...

However, my favorite aspect of HDMI is the fact that it can easily replace anwhere from 3 to 12 cables with one quick easy connection. Since it carries the audio signal as well, the potential here is high. Imagine buying 1 good quality $30 HDMI cable instead of 6 to 8 audio cables, 3 component video cables, and a separate digital coax/SPDIF or optical cable to connect your dvd player to your receiver.
God bless technology...I've got such a gawdaweful mess of cables in/behind my a/v rack I can't wait.

Groundbeef
06-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Kexodusc, are you crazy? 1 good 30$ cable to replace 6-8 sets of cables? If you dont buy the $350 Monster HDMI cable to replace all those other cables you will ruin your TV. All the actresses will grow beards, the plasma will not work, and the sound will be like listening through a tin can with shooters earmuffs on. Watch what blasphemus (sp) words you speak. If you can replace all those cables with ONE inexpensive cable the world of Hi-Fi sound will grind to a halt....oh the humanity. Why I bet you have soldered 12 6' runs of low quaility lamp cord for all you speaker connections to! :)

Breezer88888
06-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Here's more info to clear things up. While I do confess to a mess-o-wires behind my equipment, here's what I plan to do. Since my Denon receiver does not have HDMI, that cable will connect the DVD player with the RP LCD for an upconverted video signal. I will use a digital coax (monster mid-grade) to feed audio from the DVD player to the receiver. The mess-o-cables really stems from the speaker cables to feed a 7.1 set-up. The HDMI cable I've eyed so far is a Belkin PureAV (#52300) 8ft for $50. So I guess my original target of $30 wasn't realistic. My goal is to use it for an upconverting DVD player, and I hope its worth the research since there are some mixed reviews on that topic as well. Anyway, the actual number of cables will stay the same since the component video cables (again monster mid grade) being used on my current dvd player will be swapped into a Dish HD receiver that's on its way. The HD signal should pass thru component video cables without any notable difference, right? At least that's what I've read so far.
But if anyone has a suggestion on a good HDMI cable, or a favorite place to buy cables, pls pass it along.

Digiti
12-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Here's more info to clear things up. While I do confess to a mess-o-wires behind my equipment, here's what I plan to do. Since my Denon receiver does not have HDMI, that cable will connect the DVD player with the RP LCD for an upconverted video signal. I will use a digital coax (monster mid-grade) to feed audio from the DVD player to the receiver. The mess-o-cables really stems from the speaker cables to feed a 7.1 set-up. The HDMI cable I've eyed so far is a Belkin PureAV (#52300) 8ft for $50. So I guess my original target of $30 wasn't realistic. My goal is to use it for an upconverting DVD player, and I hope its worth the research since there are some mixed reviews on that topic as well. Anyway, the actual number of cables will stay the same since the component video cables (again monster mid grade) being used on my current dvd player will be swapped into a Dish HD receiver that's on its way. The HD signal should pass thru component video cables without any notable difference, right? At least that's what I've read so far.
But if anyone has a suggestion on a good HDMI cable, or a favorite place to buy cables, pls pass it along.
Try monoprice.com or partsexpress.com for good cables.

Digiti
12-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Sorry full links: www.monoprice.com and www.partsexpress.com