Dayton drivers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dayton drivers?

trinnylax
06-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Anyone ever heard a speaker using Dayton drivers? I've read plenty of great reviews of their subwoofer kits and how they compare, but does anyone know how speakers built from their other drivers compare?

I'm thinking about either finding a pair of $250 speakers on ebay for my friend, or building him some speakers using the Dayton drivers.

kexodusc
06-07-2005, 03:59 AM
Anyone ever heard a speaker using Dayton drivers? I've read plenty of great reviews of their subwoofer kits and how they compare, but does anyone know how speakers built from their other drivers compare?

I'm thinking about either finding a pair of $250 speakers on ebay for my friend, or building him some speakers using the Dayton drivers.

Dayton makes some of the absolute best bang-for-the-buck drivers out there. A lot of their drivers outperform some highly regarded speakers from the likes of Seas, Scan-Speak, Morel, Vifa, etc...

The Dayton silk tweeter and their newer Reference Series woofers are incredible bargains, outperforming other drivers that cost 2 or 3 times as much.

I've built subs with 2 of their drivers now, and they offer excellent performance and value as well.

If you choose to build speakers for your friend, I'd recommend you start with an established kit unless you have experience at this. Parts Express (Dayton) has several really good kits that use some of their drivers.

The BR-1 kit is one helluva little speaker for $140...Not the most efficient, and it's a bit bland to look at but expect it to easily perform on par with some $400 speakers. I've personally heard it win a shoot-out with Paradigm's Mini Monitors - not as punchy in the bass, but a much better midrange and smoother highs.

trinnylax
06-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Dayton makes some of the absolute best bang-for-the-buck drivers out there. A lot of their drivers outperform some highly regarded speakers from the likes of Seas, Scan-Speak, Morel, Vifa, etc...

The Dayton silk tweeter and their newer Reference Series woofers are incredible bargains, outperforming other drivers that cost 2 or 3 times as much.

I've built subs with 2 of their drivers now, and they offer excellent performance and value as well.

If you choose to build speakers for your friend, I'd recommend you start with an established kit unless you have experience at this. Parts Express (Dayton) has several really good kits that use some of their drivers.

The BR-1 kit is one helluva little speaker for $140...Not the most efficient, and it's a bit bland to look at but expect it to easily perform on par with some $400 speakers. I've personally heard it win a shoot-out with Paradigm's Mini Monitors - not as punchy in the bass, but a much better midrange and smoother highs.

Yeah I'm thinking about building a pair of speakers with ...

DAYTON DC300-8 12" CLASSIC WOOFER
DAYTON DC50F-8 2" DOME MIDRANGE
DAYTON DC28FS-8 1-1/8" SHIELDED SILK DOME TWEETER

I have the crossover schematic and box design already, I'm just wondering how these drivers perform in general since I cannot go to any local stores to hear them.

kexodusc
06-10-2005, 03:21 AM
The silkie and classic woofer are pretty well regarded, I've heard the 10" and was impressed. The 2" dome I've never heard, and don't hear much about, but I'd be willing to bet it offers more performance than you'd expect for the money, something Dayton is known for.

jocko_nc
06-10-2005, 12:15 PM
I have always been impressed with products from Parts Express, the Dayton drivers included. Great value. As far as that $139.00 speaker kit, it is an amazingly good value. I built a set a year or two ago. Not bad at all.

jocko