Polk Home Theater System [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Polk Home Theater System

rjf1205
06-06-2005, 06:03 PM
Okay, I've been searching and searching for some info, but alas, have found very little. I am currently searching for a speaker system. It will serve double duty as purveyor of both home theater sound and music. I have spent the last 3 months listening to everything I can get my ears to hear in my price range, which is roughly $750.00. I realize its not a lot, but the wife wanted the new dining room and leather sectional which cost a bit more budgeted. I figure its best to keep her happy, right guys? Anyway I have listened to Anthony Gallos, Orbs, Act 6's, Athena micra 6, various Klipsch speakers, and a host of others. The speakers that have impressed me most are the Athena Micra 6 and the Polk RM10. I would not purchase the Athena's for my purpose, but I am simply amazed at the sound that comes from a speaker system that was on sale for $232.00 at Best Buy. The Polk on the other hand was just amazing in my opinion. I auditioned the system at a HiFi store called Tweeter. The sound stage they created was amazingly large. I played a variety of music through them, from Robert Seqoia's Classical rendition of Bach's 4th to Van Morrison's Moondance to Heart's acoustic version of These dreams to Dan Fogelbergs Netherlands and culminating with Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street. Then I listened to them playing The Matrix, scene 26 (The takeover of the building), The lord of the Rings once and future king (Final Battle) and Independence Day (Escape from the Mothership scene). Sound seemed to come from everywhere! It was not limited to speaker placement and the sub really rocked during the explosions. Its not overly powerful, but I was impressed with the realism and the "right there" presence. Now for my question. I have not found any reviews on the RM10. I have found a few reviews on the RM6800 which appears to use the same sats and center speakers, but a different Sub. As opposed to a front firing 10" sub as in the RM10, the RM 6800 features a side firing 10" sub. The RM10's sub amp is also 60 watts nominal 120watts peak while the RM6800's sub amp is rated at 65 watts nominal and 130 watts peak. Is there any advantage of one type (front firing vs. side firing) sub over the other? I have not auditined the RM6800 because the only place that has one by me, Circuit City only has the satelites hooked up. The Sub is there, but its not hooked up or there is a malfunction with their sound board. The amp is a somewhat aged STR series @ 100watts/ch. The room is an odd shape, its a living room dining room in a condo, so although the home theater area is 14 x 16, the entire room is slightly over double that and there is a 22 foot ceiling (Cathedral) that goes into a loft area. If by chance anyone has another suggestion besides the RM10 I am all ears. Size is a consideration. While we are here we need something very small in stature. Once we move again in a year or two, I can bring the Klipsch Heresy's out of storage again. They are just too big for where we are now. Additional music sources will include a CD, DVD, Cable music tuner, a cassette tape deck, a VHS HiFi VCR, a connection to a media center computer and a turntable. Thanks for your insight

elbarono
06-07-2005, 11:35 AM
I bought the Polk RM6900 set from Crutchfield, took one look at it and sent it back. The speakers looked like computer speakers.

If you are ok spending a little more than $750 you might take a look at the Onix ELT's (http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=13).

GMichael
06-07-2005, 12:53 PM
I would recomend the Onkyo HT-S777C. It's available from a few sources. Crutchfield has at $600 with no sales tax or freight. J&R Music had a used unit for sale a week ago for less but then you have freight & tax.

rjf1205
06-07-2005, 08:49 PM
I am not really partial to Onkyo Speaker Systems. They have great receivers and amps, but buying their speaker system, to me is like buying a car made by Goodyear. They make great tires, but cars are not their specialty.

I would recomend the Onkyo HT-S777C. It's available from a few sources. Crutchfield has at $600 with no sales tax or freight. J&R Music had a used unit for sale a week ago for less but then you have freight & tax.

rjf1205
06-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Did you listen to the 6900 at all? I've looked at the Onix ELT and truly wish I could hear them. Perhaps I am a bit old fashioned, but if I am basing a descision on sound, I do like the idea of listening to them first. I would never buy a car without first driving it after all, unless of course it was a Lotus Espirit SRS4 or some other such car, but speaker systems in this price range are not the supercars of the speaker world. I personally want a system that gives me as much as a "right there presence" as possible while maintaining sonic accuracy. Has anyone heard the Ventriloquist and STF3 package? I see its in my price range too.

I bought the Polk RM6900 set from Crutchfield, took one look at it and sent it back. The speakers looked like computer speakers.

If you are ok spending a little more than $750 you might take a look at the Onix ELT's (http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=13).

paul_pci
06-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Dude, just because your room is 14X16 is no reason to go with a sub/satellite package. You could put together a nice bookshelf speaker package from Polk within your budget and perhaps get a cheap sub for the time being or go with out a sub for now. Some people will tell you that it's better to go with no sub than a cheap one, but I tend to disagree. It will make you better appreciate that $1200 sub you buy after the divorce. Anyway, I like Polk for what they are, but satellite speaker system suck; it's better to go with bookshelves. If you have an open listening area, it's definitely better to go with bookshelf speakers.

anamorphic96
06-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Paul nails it. You can do much better with some small bookshelves and an inexpensive sub. You could get something from Paradigm, PSB in small bookshelves that will smoke the Polks. Polk in my book is WAY overrated for what you get. The LSi series is an absolute different story. But these are out your price range.

Paradigm - Performance Series
PSB - Alpha Series

You should be able to find a dealer locally if you goto the dealer search at there sites.

http://www.psbspeakers.com/
http://paradigm.com/

Find a local dealer and go listen. You wont be disapointed. ;)

Eric Z
06-08-2005, 10:34 AM
and remember, the bookshelf speakers aren't going to take up much more room than the sats.

oddeoowphil38
06-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Okay, I've been searching and searching for some info, but alas, have found very little. I am currently searching for a speaker system. It will serve double duty as purveyor of both home theater sound and music. I have spent the last 3 months listening to everything I can get my ears to hear in my price range, which is roughly $750.00. I realize its not a lot, but the wife wanted the new dining room and leather sectional which cost a bit more budgeted. I figure its best to keep her happy, right guys? Anyway I have listened to Anthony Gallos, Orbs, Act 6's, Athena micra 6, various Klipsch speakers, and a host of others. The speakers that have impressed me most are the Athena Micra 6 and the Polk RM10. I would not purchase the Athena's for my purpose, but I am simply amazed at the sound that comes from a speaker system that was on sale for $232.00 at Best Buy. The Polk on the other hand was just amazing in my opinion. I auditioned the system at a HiFi store called Tweeter. The sound stage they created was amazingly large. I played a variety of music through them, from Robert Seqoia's Classical rendition of Bach's 4th to Van Morrison's Moondance to Heart's acoustic version of These dreams to Dan Fogelbergs Netherlands and culminating with Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street. Then I listened to them playing The Matrix, scene 26 (The takeover of the building), The lord of the Rings once and future king (Final Battle) and Independence Day (Escape from the Mothership scene). Sound seemed to come from everywhere! It was not limited to speaker placement and the sub really rocked during the explosions. Its not overly powerful, but I was impressed with the realism and the "right there" presence. Now for my question. I have not found any reviews on the RM10. I have found a few reviews on the RM6800 which appears to use the same sats and center speakers, but a different Sub. As opposed to a front firing 10" sub as in the RM10, the RM 6800 features a side firing 10" sub. The RM10's sub amp is also 60 watts nominal 120watts peak while the RM6800's sub amp is rated at 65 watts nominal and 130 watts peak. Is there any advantage of one type (front firing vs. side firing) sub over the other? I have not auditined the RM6800 because the only place that has one by me, Circuit City only has the satelites hooked up. The Sub is there, but its not hooked up or there is a malfunction with their sound board. The amp is a somewhat aged STR series @ 100watts/ch. The room is an odd shape, its a living room dining room in a condo, so although the home theater area is 14 x 16, the entire room is slightly over double that and there is a 22 foot ceiling (Cathedral) that goes into a loft area. If by chance anyone has another suggestion besides the RM10 I am all ears. Size is a consideration. While we are here we need something very small in stature. Once we move again in a year or two, I can bring the Klipsch Heresy's out of storage again. They are just too big for where we are now. Additional music sources will include a CD, DVD, Cable music tuner, a cassette tape deck, a VHS HiFi VCR, a connection to a media center computer and a turntable. Thanks for your insight
Hello there I can certainly understand your frustration. Have you looked at the Aperion package I think is like $799 which includes shipping. This set comes with an 8" powered sub and 5 sattelites with 4" mids and tweets. The cabinents are made out of 3/4" HDF not MDF and seem to get a lot of good reviews. Aperion also offers free return shipping if you decide to return them. Also, there are the Rocket Tykes system you may wanna check out. Oh, almost forgot be sure to check out home theater direct because they have the complete level lI system in your price range and offer real bang for the buck. Just remember it will be up to you to decide and speakers choice is a very personal thing due to each individuals preferences. Anyways, good luck hunting and be sure to let us know what you decided. Have a great day.
Phil

rjf1205
06-08-2005, 07:16 PM
Dude, just because your room is 14X16 is no reason to go with a sub/satellite package. .

I guess you can say I haven't told the whole story. Space is a consideration. I just moved and I had to fit a 4 bedroom house into a 2 bedroom condo. So things are kinda cramped around here. I lterally have enough floorspace for one sub. Wife won't go for installing bookshelf speakers on the wall and agreed reluctantly to go for satelites if they can be hidden. We are renting this place, so no permanent modifications to the walls can be done. A staircase to the loft takes up the back 3 feet of the room so although its 14 x 16, its usable space is 14 x 13. I figured on putting the sub, under the stairs, its open and pretty much wasted space anyway. I pretty much have to go with a sub satellite system. Trouble seems to be getting out and finding places that carry these systems and have them hooked up to listen to. Last weekend I travelled a little over 70 miles to listen to a set of speakers I would never buy, Fluance. I was really dissappointed in them. They played loud alright, but that is probably the only favorable thing I discerned. Price was good too. I did not listen to them in a store, but rather listened to them at a friend of a freind of a friend's house. So my quest continues.

rjf1205
06-08-2005, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=anamorphic96]Paul nails it. You can do much better with some small bookshelves and an inexpensive sub. You could get something from Paradigm, PSB in small bookshelves that will smoke the Polks. QUOTE]

The Alpha Intros look interesting. Haven't found any reviews or material on them yet though.

elbarono
06-08-2005, 11:22 PM
Did you listen to the 6900 at all? I've looked at the Onix ELT and truly wish I could hear them. Perhaps I am a bit old fashioned, but if I am basing a descision on sound, I do like the idea of listening to them first. I would never buy a car without first driving it after all, unless of course it was a Lotus Espirit SRS4 or some other such car, but speaker systems in this price range are not the supercars of the speaker world. I personally want a system that gives me as much as a "right there presence" as possible while maintaining sonic accuracy. Has anyone heard the Ventriloquist and STF3 package? I see its in my price range too.

I did listen to the Polks for a few hours. The highs were clearer than my original speakers (Infinity RS 2000.3) but they had no low end, which was expected for satellites.

My main problem with them was that they looked very cheaply made. Like I said, they looked like cheap computer speakers. Not like a $1000 set of speakers.

I bought a pair of Rocket ELT LRS's for $129 (sale price) and compared them head to head with my older Infinity bookshelves and they sounded much better. Even my girlfriend could hear the difference. I wound up going with the Onix Rocket RS750/RS300/RCS200 set in the end (after an audition at a local owners house), but I still have a very high opinion of the ELT's as well after listening to them and I don't believe you can get a better looking speaker for the price. In fact I still have the ELT's in my garage because I'm sure I'll find another use for them eventually.