Speaker covers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker covers

luvs2jam60
06-06-2005, 04:41 PM
I have the usual speaker covers on my JBL center and fronts and surrounds. However, in all the pics I see in the gallery section, no one has them on. Do most people just leave them on? Or do most just take them off for the pictures to show off their drivers? I never thought of removing them permanently and was wondering if there is any difference. I can notice a SLIGHT difference in the highs coming out of the tweeter if I have 1 front with it on and 1 without, but that's it. Also, if i take it off, won't dust, or something else, on the drivers become a problem? I know that they protect the drivers from becoming damaged, but I never thought of this idea until recently. Any help on this would be awesome. Thanks.

RGA
06-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Most speaker makers design the speakers to have the cover on or off -- and many probably don't bother to even consider the grill.

My speakers the designer intended them to be heard with the grill covers off -- though he provided the cloth cover because everyone does. The designer was upset when he went to dealers who kept the grills on however so now he doesn't provide them so you're forced to not have a cover.

There is no worry about dust -- the covers are cosmetic because I doubt many wantto see the drivers --- they do impose on a room and some of course even glare when light hits them.

Simple: If it sounds better to you with them off take them off. Some speakers like my Wharfedale Vanguards have an acoustically transparent grill -- but then they also don't entirely shield the drivers -- it looks better with them on. This speaker is the older version of mine on the left the grill is on the right the grill is off http://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/hfw/oldeworldehtml/wharfedalee70.html Sounds the same either way.