help needed - floorstanding speaker setup with notebook [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : help needed - floorstanding speaker setup with notebook

sam2005_1980
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Hi,

I just made a custom notebook for myself and want to use it as a stereo sound system for quiet listening and parties as well.

I haven't installed a good sound card yet, there is one built-in, i am planning to buy a good sound card like creative nx2 usb, is it really needed, or adding a good amp would be enough?

Basically i want a stereo sound setup
with 2 floorstanding speakers
with a fast sub (if its needed)
and amp(i think its needed but am not sure)
and a good sound card (if needed, i have a pcmcia slot but its already used, so usb is only option)

I am not exactly an audiophile but i can recognize what speakers are good, or bad..

I am a student with a budget of 500-600$, in jersey city.

Room size is approx 20 X 30 ft, probably a bit bigger

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

Geoffcin
06-06-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi,

I just made a custom notebook for myself and want to use it as a stereo sound system for quiet listening and parties as well.

I haven't installed a good sound card yet, there is one built-in, i am planning to buy a good sound card like creative nx2 usb, is it really needed, or adding a good amp would be enough?

Basically i want a stereo sound setup
with 2 floorstanding speakers
with a fast sub (if its needed)
and amp(i think its needed but am not sure)
and a good sound card (if needed, i have a pcmcia slot but its already used, so usb is only option)

I am not exactly an audiophile but i can recognize what speakers are good, or bad..

I am a student with a budget of 500-600$, in jersey city.

Room size is approx 20 X 30 ft, probably a bit bigger

Any help would be appreciated.

Sam

One of the easiest ways to get your computer to play music on your home system is to add a RF transmitter. It transmits a weak FM signal that your receiver can pick up.
These go from $29 to $79 and will work with your laptop, Ipod or just about anything that has a mini-jack for headphones. Great for using your Ipod in the car too!

poneal
06-06-2005, 02:22 PM
buy an 1/8" phone jack to RCA L/R to hook up from your computer line-out to your recevier/amp. I must ***WARN*** you to turn down the volume controls before turning on the amp. Most soundcards put out approx. 1volt which most amps see as full power. You will be in for a rude awakening if you don't turn the computer volumes down and possibly blow the amp. You don't need an expensive sound card. The SoundBlaster Live 24 for around $25 works great and easy to use. I use it in my measurement setup to measure speakers, impedance, resistance, etc., and it works great. It has low distortion specs, etc. Enjoy, Paul.

sam2005_1980
06-06-2005, 04:49 PM
hi guys,
thanks for the replies but i wanted suggestion for these equipments, i don't have any speakers/sub/amp yet. i need advice for

2 floorstanding speakers
a fast sub (if its needed)
amp(i think its needed but am not sure)
a good sound card (if needed, i have a pcmcia slot but its already used, so usb is only option)

i saw onkyo is also giving HT570 refurbished for 149, including shipping, what about that, is it any good.

Sam

acronym
06-07-2005, 09:29 AM
I'd get a good set of speakers (new), a 80's amp (marantz 22xx, H/K or so) (used) and use airtunes with a wifi card. You won't be tethered to the system with a usb all the time.