Comments on Klipsch SF-3s? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Klipsch SF-3s?

Curtis
06-06-2005, 10:57 AM
Has anyone hear heard the Klipsch SF-3 tower speakers? How do they sound?

corwin99
06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I used to have a pair of Klipsch SF-1's before I gave them to my Dad, and have spent quite a bit of time listening to the whole Synergy line before they discontinued it. At the time I wasn't quite as picky as I am now, but I liked the sound of them. I did find them a bit shouty however, as I found with the majority of the Synergy line.. but i got them all for 50% off since i knew a guy that worked there. Anyway, I have found that the Reference series from Klipsch (the old ones.. the newer ones actually sound worse.. dunno why) the RB-5 (i still have these) in particular sounds really good when powered with low power tubes.. sounds like crap with SS though. Also sounds really good with the Sonic Impact.

At any rate, I would discourage getting the SF-3's if you are looking for a non-fatiguing speaker, but if you just want a fun speaker that goes loud and low.. the SF-3 has great low end punch for the price too... but the remember that the tractix horn from klipsch speakers have a sort of midrangey horn coloration to they... they make stuff sound like its floating in front of you and tend to have a much less airy sound.

Curtis
06-06-2005, 06:32 PM
Are the highs decent?

corwin99
06-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I guess they're decent. But if you're not used to the Klipsch sound you will definately find them different. Just don't buy them thinking they will sound like regular tweeters.