Hey Woodman... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hey Woodman...

Resident Loser
06-06-2005, 07:00 AM
...it's question time re: VCRs

I've a SONY hi-fi deck, about 10yrs. old and it's starting to mangle tapes...I've already opened it up, watched the take-up and so forth...nothing...took a look at the usual suspects, cleaned the idler, etc. checked for obviously broken or loose parts..It was a pretty good piece and cost a discounted $400 back then with I'd guess some "upper end" features...I've owned two SONY units that lasted about the same length of time...and they do get daily use and abuse, only thing is, SONY has taken a bad turn IMHO from some of their earlier products...

Given the age of the unit, rather than go the repair route(which I'm guessing is a losing proposition) we've been on the lookout for a new unit...slim pickins out there...there are the cheapo-cheepies from unknown manufacturers and the digital VHS recorders which strike me as overkill...one that seems a possibility is the JVC HRS5902U @$179...I know specific recs are well nigh impossible, but are there any companies I should avoid or specific ones to look into?

We basically time shift tee-vee programs, so in that respect quality isn't super-critical, but... I do have some classic commercial releases I'd like to see once in a while, so outright abandoning the format isn't an answer...Big sales items are combo VCR/DVD units...You seem not to be big on combo units, and I tend to agree...However, are there any suitable for use as a transitional device?

jimHJJ(...thanks in advance...)

eqm
06-06-2005, 08:39 AM
...it's question time re: VCRs

I've a SONY hi-fi deck, about 10yrs. old and it's starting to mangle tapes...I've already opened it up, watched the take-up and so forth...nothing...took a look at the usual suspects, cleaned the idler, etc. checked for obviously broken or loose parts..It was a pretty good piece and cost a discounted $400 back then with I'd guess some "upper end" features...I've owned two SONY units that lasted about the same length of time...and they do get daily use and abuse, only thing is, SONY has taken a bad turn IMHO from some of their earlier products...

Given the age of the unit, rather than go the repair route(which I'm guessing is a losing proposition) we've been on the lookout for a new unit...slim pickins out there...there are the cheapo-cheepies from unknown manufacturers and the digital VHS recorders which strike me as overkill...one that seems a possibility is the JVC HRS5902U @$179...I know specific recs are well nigh impossible, but are there any companies I should avoid or specific ones to look into?

We basically time shift tee-vee programs, so in that respect quality isn't super-critical, but... I do have some classic commercial releases I'd like to see once in a while, so outright abandoning the format isn't an answer...Big sales items are combo VCR/DVD units...You seem not to be big on combo units, and I tend to agree...However, are there any suitable for use as a transitional device?

jimHJJ(...thanks in advance...)

I am not and have never claimed to be Woodman, but I can probably help a little bit...

VCRs (and many dvd players) are made to be as CHEAP as possible. The box for your old one probably weighs more than a new one in the store. Panasonic seems to make the most "reliable" vcrs (if you can even call it that), but please understand, ANY vcr you buy now cannot be considered "reliable" in older terms. Many companies don't even make their own vcrs anymore, as they outsource.

Sooooo....if you buy one, don't expect too much out of it.

ericl
06-06-2005, 09:04 AM
Woodman hasn't posted since January. Members have emailed him and he hasn't replied. He was an older fella, we all know, some of us are afraid he may have passed.

Eric Z
06-06-2005, 11:15 AM
save yourself some cash and get a pretty darn cheap one- especially if quality isn't that important to you. maybe even check to get a used one- a lot of people are getting rid of their vcrs since dvd players and tivo are around.

people usually say combo units aren't good because if one goes, both may go. however, if your in need for a vcr and dvd player and don't want to spend a lot of cash, go that route. you should for sure be able to pick up a new vcr for under $100!