How do you treat your vinyl? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How do you treat your vinyl?

DaHaq
06-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I thought I'd take a survey and see what precautions people take regarding the handling, cleaning, and storing of their records. How often do you clean, and what do you use? Do you replace the paper sleeves with anti-static ones? I personally just brush mine off with a carbon fiber brush each time I play one. I should probably do more :P

bjornb17
06-05-2005, 08:13 PM
i treat them like crap.

oh wait, i dont have any.

Kaboom
06-06-2005, 02:46 AM
I'd love to have one of them VPI or nitty gritty record cleaners, but they cost more than my current turntable and i absolutely REFUSE to dump that kind of money (at least for the moment)
i clean my records with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water (not destilled, i know i'm doing it wrong) and then brush them with a velvet/carbon fiber brush everytime before playing. I fit all the jackets with pvc sleeves and if i have any, i replace the paper sleeves with either poly-lined paper sleeves or just poly sleeves. i'm currently waiting for my 100-unit batch to arrive.
I clean my stylus every so often with Clearaudio's stylus cleaning fluid or i wipe it extremely gently with the velvet part of the brush by resting its weight on the velvet and sliding the brush beneath it.

JohnMichael
06-08-2005, 10:33 AM
I use the Orbitrac record cleaning system when discs are dirty. If I just need to remove dust I use a discwasher brush dry.

squeegy200
06-08-2005, 01:31 PM
I'd love to have one of them VPI or nitty gritty record cleaners, but they cost more than my current turntable and i absolutely REFUSE to dump that kind of money (at least for the moment)
i clean my records with a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and water (not destilled, i know i'm doing it wrong) and then brush them with a velvet/carbon fiber brush everytime before playing. I fit all the jackets with pvc sleeves and if i have any, i replace the paper sleeves with either poly-lined paper sleeves or just poly sleeves. i'm currently waiting for my 100-unit batch to arrive.
I clean my stylus every so often with Clearaudio's stylus cleaning fluid or i wipe it extremely gently with the velvet part of the brush by resting its weight on the velvet and sliding the brush beneath it.

Very similar sentiments regarding the RCMs. I use Distilled water and an old Discwasher brush for dirty records and then use the Audioquest CF brush before each play.

E-Stat
06-08-2005, 01:37 PM
How often do you clean, and what do you use? Do you replace the paper sleeves with anti-static ones?
I clean every record as they are played with a VPI HW-16 purchased twenty some years ago. I use the original sleeves. I mix distilled water and 91% isopropyl alcohol 10:1.

rw

DaHaq
06-08-2005, 02:28 PM
I've not yet tried wet cleaning my records, i'm always afraid i'll get the inner label wet :(
Is it really necessary to wet clean a newly purchased record, even if it sounds fine to me? I did purchase a new copy of the Smashing Pumpkins' Gish which has an annoyingly high amount of background noise (although no distortion, so I don't think its from a worn pressing), but perhaps that's just the recording's own fault...although the cd version has no such noise. Perhaps I'll try my first wet cleaning with that record. I'm really considering getting better quality sleeves for my records as I wince every time I slide a disk back into the original sleeve and hear that horrible scraping noise. Can anyone recommend a good place to order quality sleeves? Do any of you go so far as to wear the little cotton gloves while handling? ;D

Kaboom
06-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Can't be bothered with the gloves. I just got a 100 awesome poly sleeves that fit inside the original paper ones for 15 bucks. They are the same ones that the BlueNote records come in.
Ebay is a blessing from gawd.

risabet
06-08-2005, 10:05 PM
Clean them with a Nitty Gritty machine using homemade RCF and MD brushes. Place in MoFi sleeves from Sleeve City if in a paper sleeve originally. All albums are placed in a poly outer sleeve.

Listening involves cleanig the stylus every time with Nagaoka Hi-clean. Periodically a deep cleaning with a Denon ultrasonic stylus cleaner. Brush the vinyl with an AudioQuest carbon fiber brush and listen. Simple and a relaxing ritual to boot.
:)

DaHaq
06-08-2005, 11:10 PM
hah yes, very simple....ultrasonic stylus cleaner? O_o
I actually just saw a record on Acousticsounds.com that was supposed to produce a stylus-cleansing ultrasonic frequency. Same deal?

Glen B
06-09-2005, 10:12 AM
For the past 38 years I have used nothing but the Discwasher D4 fluid and brush to clean my records. I also sweep both sides of my LPs with a Hunt EDA carbon fiber brush before and after each play. When removing/replacing a record from/back in its inner sleeve, I always puff out the sleeve so that the sides don't rub against the record. I use poly-lined inner sleeves and each LP is stored in its own clear, re-sealable outer bag. These practices have seem to have worked great for me as all of my collection remains in mint condition, despite many records being more than 3 decades old.

risabet
06-09-2005, 06:03 PM
hah yes, very simple....ultrasonic stylus cleaner? O_o
I actually just saw a record on Acousticsounds.com that was supposed to produce a stylus-cleansing ultrasonic frequency. Same deal?

The simple reference was actually tongue-in-cheek. The Denon cleaner model AVC-1 works really well. The Cardas record has an ultrasonic sweep to clean the stylus that seems to work well also.

MARTINLOGAN123
06-10-2005, 03:28 PM
I have about six thousand different records dating back quite a few years. How I manage to keep them clean and free of debris is to actually have a humidor room that was an older cigar closet that I use. As for the gloves, I only use them for MEAT THE BEATLES and others of similair quality. And lastly, those poly sleaves do work wonder. But... a good amount of static build up (from those inserts) can cause them to attract more dirt causing for more damage then the scratching you get when you put it in the original case. Bottom line. The best sound will always be analog, but nothing lasts forever.

JoeE SP9
06-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I've not yet tried wet cleaning my records, i'm always afraid i'll get the inner label wet :(
Is it really necessary to wet clean a newly purchased record, even if it sounds fine to me? I did purchase a new copy of the Smashing Pumpkins' Gish which has an annoyingly high amount of background noise (although no distortion, so I don't think its from a worn pressing), but perhaps that's just the recording's own fault...although the cd version has no such noise. Perhaps I'll try my first wet cleaning with that record. I'm really considering getting better quality sleeves for my records as I wince every time I slide a disk back into the original sleeve and hear that horrible scraping noise. Can anyone recommend a good place to order quality sleeves? Do any of you go so far as to wear the little cotton gloves while handling? ;D New vinyl has mold release on/in the grooves. It should be removed prior to playing the first time.

RGA
06-10-2005, 11:03 PM
You can buy the KAB EV-1 for $149.00. It is a Nitty Gritty made by Nitty Gritty but with no vacuum -- you hook your vacuum cleaner up. All the machines clean exactly the same quality but this one is a little more manual.

It's not exactly cheap but nor is it obscene -- I've seen some machines going for $800.00.

I am presently considering patenting a cleaing design which would be vastly superior to any of the machines currently on the market - but I have to get some of the design details worked out and the solutions -- plus I'm busy with other things so I don't know if it's worth the bother. I also need to get into touch with certain folks for this to work. Kinda pointless when the Kab is $150.00 and everyone knows the name. Besides my machine would be much bigger and bulkier.

the Kab http://www.kabusa.com/ev1.htm

Jimmy C
06-27-2005, 03:03 PM
..."being too lazy" for vinyl (a year or two ago), to marketing his own R.C.M.!?!?! Oh, that's right... Peter Q. digs on it...hehe. Hell, at one point agreed with the Rega credo "records don't need to be cleaned" Well, welcome to the club! Just joshin' ya... :*)

Yeah, don't underestimate the value of an R.C.M. Part of the vinyl fun is getting CHEAP LPs from used stores, or maybe even garage sales... whatever. Many of these are quite dirty. We have one store on Long Island that manages to sell mint albums, VERY clean - I don't know how he does it... the LP condition, as well as the jacket! Actually amazing, even the $2 jobs. I have seen them cleaning records with a V.P.I., but is it possible to do ALL of them? I dunno...

I have the Nitty Gritty, but I don't think they want you to wet-vac the LP everytime... chemical probably too strong. I use a bit of "Last" cleaner as well as the AudioQuest carbon fiber brush. All my "main" LPs still shine like a jewel.

I don't bother with the plastic inner sleeves... my "rekkids" are, for the most part, quiet. I do use the outer sleeves, though.

I can be a bit anal about storing them... alpha alpha (by artist) order, side "A" has to face the front, nerdy crap like that. Oh - don't cram them in too tight in the shelf!

Err... that's about it for now! See that... I was listening to my Tivoli, but I'm gonna get off my butt and spin some Miles :^)

jrhymeammo
06-28-2005, 11:25 PM
I've been buying 50 cent records to test my homemade solution. I been trying out 1 part 99% iso-alcohol, 8 parts distilled water, and a bump of Oxi Clean. I think Oxi Clean is going to hunt me later, on my cartridge. Anybody know anything about Oxi Clean? It seems to clean the hell out of my records, but it may be leaving residue.

JoeE SP9
06-29-2005, 07:02 AM
..."being too lazy" for vinyl (a year or two ago), to marketing his own R.C.M.!?!?! Oh, that's right... Peter Q. digs on it...hehe. Hell, at one point agreed with the Rega credo "records don't need to be cleaned" Well, welcome to the club! Just joshin' ya... :*)

Yeah, don't underestimate the value of an R.C.M. Part of the vinyl fun is getting CHEAP LPs from used stores, or maybe even garage sales... whatever. Many of these are quite dirty. We have one store on Long Island that manages to sell mint albums, VERY clean - I don't know how he does it... the LP condition, as well as the jacket! Actually amazing, even the $2 jobs. I have seen them cleaning records with a V.P.I., but is it possible to do ALL of them? I dunno...

I have the Nitty Gritty, but I don't think they want you to wet-vac the LP everytime... chemical probably too strong. I use a bit of "Last" cleaner as well as the AudioQuest carbon fiber brush. All my "main" LPs still shine like a jewel.

I don't bother with the plastic inner sleeves... my "rekkids" are, for the most part, quiet. I do use the outer sleeves, though.

I can be a bit anal about storing them... alpha alpha (by artist) order, side "A" has to face the front, nerdy crap like that. Oh - don't cram them in too tight in the shelf!

Err... that's about it for now! See that... I was listening to my Tivoli, but I'm gonna get off my butt and spin some Miles :^)
The inner sleeves are more important than the outer. The outer ones are mostly for cosmetic purposes. If you have a large enough collection it is always much easier to find things if you store them alphabetically by artist's last name. Having all selections from LP's and CD's listed in a database also helps a lot if you play music the way I do. I usually play one selection from a CD/LP and then move on to another artist. Last summer after giving the neighborhood an impromptu concert my next door neighboor asked me what radio station I was listening to.

nobody
06-29-2005, 08:47 AM
I clean 'em once when I first get them, unless they're new or in great shape and I just have to listen right away first. I use the Disc Doctor brushes and fluid and have found that as long as you are sure to dilute it enough and rinse plenty, it works great. After the initial cleaning, which even the new ones do get eventually, I just brush them off quickly before playing each time. I use various methods to clean my stylus, matchbook, magic eraer, some disc doctor fluid when I have it. Everything is stored upright on homemade shelves with a rotating group of maybe 50 or so in a magazine rack next to the stereo.

Maybe I'm just used to mesing with records, but I really don't think they're nearly the trouble some people say they are. After the initial cleaning, less than 5 minutes per disc, brushing them off takes like 3 seconds each play, and cleaning the stylus time in negligible. Once your table is setup, a pretty easy proposition after the first time, you're good for quite some time...I maybe recheck everything once a year or so, and rarely have to make any adjustments. I guess you could get more anal, but I think most people would be more than happy using the stuff I mentioned and it's just not that much, really.

Jimmy C
06-29-2005, 02:37 PM
The inner sleeves are more important than the outer. The outer ones are mostly for cosmetic purposes. If you have a large enough collection it is always much easier to find things if you store them alphabetically by artist's last name. Having all selections from LP's and CD's listed in a database also helps a lot if you play music the way I do. I usually play one selection from a CD/LP and then move on to another artist. Last summer after giving the neighborhood an impromptu concert my next door neighboor asked me what radio station I was listening to.

...but I have LPs that are over 30 years old (I'm the original owner) and have never had a problem. I think the key is being very careful when taking a record out, as well as replacing it. They still shine like new.

As far as the outer sleeves go, they seem to help limit abrasion when sliding in and out of the shelf/rack/whatever. I have a few original Apple Beatles with zero "white ring" syndrome.

Like you and I said, yes, alpha alpha order works. Database? Honestly, I don't know exactly what that is?!?! BUT - I haven't had any problems locating anything. If the average LP user has between a few hundred and a few thousand albums, alpha order should be fine. Kinda reminds me of having a navagation system in a car... you probably already know where you're going...

Careful - you might turn some of those neighbors into LP hounds... we don't need anyone depleting our supply :*P

thepogue
06-30-2005, 02:05 PM
I do the hand washing thag' as needed...but I've become a picky buyer (after buying loads of less than VG stuff). So for the most part I noe buy VG+'s which are fairly clean from "jump street". I have a damp clean sponge next to me TT and give them a quick once over...then after they are dry (a few seconds) and once on the platter I use a dry brush for any lint.

I mixed up a 6% alcohol/water solution in a spray bottle and am trying that but I think the clean damp sponge does just as well...also I had an ole timer tell me that the alcohol will "eat" me records...but I'm not sure but as stated I don't see any real difference so I think it's back to the sponge and I'll leave the alcohol for me belly!..;)

If I treated me wife like me LP's...she might just like me!!!

Peace, Pogue

Modernaire
07-04-2005, 01:03 AM
I'll share my method too!

I find used records. I clean them first dry. I have 2 RadioShack Velvet brushes! I think they were the last ones in the LA area...! AND a painters edge brush...for painting edges along a wall etc.. This brush has stronger velvet like soft surface that doesn't get soggy and deep clean the record.

I use one velvet one for dirt/dust gathering only, another one for Gruv Glide application after dried wet cleaned records with the painters edge brush.

The two velvets are for USED records not in my original possesion. You just don't know where them records have been or what nasty fingers have been all over them.

I do have a set of velvet pads and a super clean brand new velvet brush for use only with new records.

Okay, the used records, I GATHER dust by placing the record on a homemade turntable with turntable mat and hand turning the record and mat and gathering not too forcefully with the velvet brush the dust in the grooves. You'll be suprised how much dust and I mean very fine dust you can gather.

Then I wipe that off with a soft microfiber cloth dipped in my solution of 91% alch and distilled water+Radioshack or other record cleaner (with a small sprintz of Windex).

Then I spray this solution on the record and use the painters brush to wash the record surface. I can feel the brush catch the grooves. Then I just run that along both sides. The label will get wet but it survives if you dry quickly.

I just rinse with tap water, this may be a bad step, but I don't rub that water in, just surface rinse. I use a large microfiber cloth to dry. Mind you all my cleaning stuff is pre-cleaned and kept koodie free so I'm very carefull to keep my cleaning stuff also clean.

After the drying I also hold the record infront of a fan. Then I apply to the second velvet brush, a cleaner brush, Gruv Glide and apply that in almost buffing motion.

Then I let that sit to dry and then I have a very clean record. Koodie free and all! I will say that some used records are just badly cared for, others sound near CD, just beautiful.

I do clean record covers. I use 91 alcohol with distilled water, 50/50 and just wipe all the covers with one terry towel or old clean sock. Then I PLEDGE the covers with another sock/terry towel. The Pledge actually condtions covers and gives it a new like luster. Nice!

My tricks for record care. Hope they help and it is work, but the results can be very satisfying. I do have another trick to REMOVE or restore album sleeve lips or edges! But that would be another thread !

:D

JoeE SP9
07-06-2005, 09:34 AM
I'll share my method too!

I find used records. I clean them first dry. I have 2 RadioShack Velvet brushes! I think they were the last ones in the LA area...! AND a painters edge brush...for painting edges along a wall etc.. This brush has stronger velvet like soft surface that doesn't get soggy and deep clean the record.

I use one velvet one for dirt/dust gathering only, another one for Gruv Glide application after dried wet cleaned records with the painters edge brush.

The two velvets are for USED records not in my original possesion. You just don't know where them records have been or what nasty fingers have been all over them.

I do have a set of velvet pads and a super clean brand new velvet brush for use only with new records.

Okay, the used records, I GATHER dust by placing the record on a homemade turntable with turntable mat and hand turning the record and mat and gathering not too forcefully with the velvet brush the dust in the grooves. You'll be suprised how much dust and I mean very fine dust you can gather.

Then I wipe that off with a soft microfiber cloth dipped in my solution of 91% alch and distilled water+Radioshack or other record cleaner (with a small sprintz of Windex).

Then I spray this solution on the record and use the painters brush to wash the record surface. I can feel the brush catch the grooves. Then I just run that along both sides. The label will get wet but it survives if you dry quickly.

I just rinse with tap water, this may be a bad step, but I don't rub that water in, just surface rinse. I use a large microfiber cloth to dry. Mind you all my cleaning stuff is pre-cleaned and kept koodie free so I'm very carefull to keep my cleaning stuff also clean.

After the drying I also hold the record infront of a fan. Then I apply to the second velvet brush, a cleaner brush, Gruv Glide and apply that in almost buffing motion.

Then I let that sit to dry and then I have a very clean record. Koodie free and all! I will say that some used records are just badly cared for, others sound near CD, just beautiful.

I do clean record covers. I use 91 alcohol with distilled water, 50/50 and just wipe all the covers with one terry towel or old clean sock. Then I PLEDGE the covers with another sock/terry towel. The Pledge actually condtions covers and gives it a new like luster. Nice!

My tricks for record care. Hope they help and it is work, but the results can be very satisfying. I do have another trick to REMOVE or restore album sleeve lips or edges! But that would be another thread !

:D I will try the Pledge on the covers. Thanks for that tip. Please give the details on restoring the sleeve lips or edges.

Modernaire
07-14-2005, 10:34 PM
I will try the Pledge on the covers. Thanks for that tip. Please give the details on restoring the sleeve lips or edges.

You use the same alchohol and distilled water solution. The solution just to get rid of grime on record covers, not actual vinyl, that the record cleaning solution. Anyway, use that same water to wet the lips...sounds nasty but yes, with your fingers...just enough so get the edges damp, then you get a sharp cardboard, sturdy fold it in half and lock it like an envelope with tape or whatever.

Then place the record opening side towards the fold, bang the cardboard so the record slips tighter into the fold, compressing the lips/opening of the record sleeve. Leave a few hours or overnight. In the morning you'll have a sharp edge, dried and like new!

I am doing this right now to a copy of a French Beatles White Album I found. Its almost ready...let me check...YES! Woo Hooo! Ready for the records, inner sleeves and one last rub of Pledge! And in a Japanese resealable!

:D

captainreverb
05-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Glen or anyone who uses Nagaoka Hi clean Stylus cleaner--
I cant find any directons in english for my Hi-Clean--I saw that Glen was using it every time he listens-Is this the norm? I am so paranoid about touching my stylus -I have a stylus brush-the kind with the mirror on the flip side-Is it ok to brush it with that, and then use the Hi-Clean?
Any tips or suggetions are appreciated-just getting into the Vinyl -I want to do it right -

thanks

Glen B
05-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Glen or anyone who uses Nagaoka Hi clean Stylus cleaner--
I cant find any directons in english for my Hi-Clean--I saw that Glen was using it every time he listens-Is this the norm? I am so paranoid about touching my stylus -I have a stylus brush-the kind with the mirror on the flip side-Is it ok to brush it with that, and then use the Hi-Clean?
Any tips or suggetions are appreciated-just getting into the Vinyl -I want to do it right -

thanks

It was Risabet who mentioned using the Nagaoka Hi Clean. I use the Discwasher SC4stylus cleaner.

Bernd
05-16-2006, 08:02 AM
I use a Dynavector or Ortofon Stylus Brush and a Clearaudio Carbon fibre record brush. Only need it if there is some debris (very rare). I also use Last Stylast after every side (increases Stylus life) and also Last Stylus cleaner at the end of listening. The best thing however is to invest in a decent RCM. You will find that most of the time there is no need to go anywhere near the stylus as the records are (should be) clean.
That also prolongs stylus life.
Welcome to the world of Vinyl.

Peace

Bernd:16:

captainreverb
05-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Cool, thanks for the tips--

Hump
06-02-2006, 08:21 PM
If you want to really CLEAN records(Not just force it deeper into the grooves) you need to use some sort of vacuum system. Also, it is best to use deionized water and completely denatured alcohol, as other types may contain lanolin which leaves a residue on the record and could make things even worse.You also need some type of a suspension agent to hold this nicely to vacuum off. For what it is worth I will give my formula that I have refined over the years that will leave your records CLEEEEEEN and with no residue.Use 3 quarts deionized water,1 quart completely denatured alcohol, 2 ounces Lysol Direct, and 40 drops of Kodak Photo-Flo 200 solution. This has been a labor of many years refining. Hope you enjoy!!!
Also, a cheap good thing to clean your stylus with is Cheap Gin and a stiff brush like the Discwasher. This will not effect the suspension of your stylus like some of the others. Iam some what of a purest and this is the best way I have found to care for my records and stylus.

Rycher
06-17-2006, 07:50 PM
I built my own RCM. Very simple and very effective. I also use a home made mixture to clean my LP's. My neighbor has the VPI cleaner. He has now asked me to build him one of mine. :smile5: I'm currently building a new unit that will be quite a bit better than this one - it will be a 2-cycle unit with a "wash and rinse" cycle. I've even applied for some patents on the unit.
More pictures on my website.http://www.jimmyneutron.org/
http://www.jimmyneutron.org/DSC08520.JPG

shokhead
06-18-2006, 06:47 AM
Every time i try to play one in my car it gets scratched? Opps,them are fighting words. LOL

jrhymeammo
09-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Here is the secret that I've been keeping to myself for about 6 months.

Get a Mr. Clean Magic Brush or knockoffs. Cut them into 1 inche cubes and barely moisten it. As long as cover has semi glossy, laminated surface(front cover 99% of the time), you can gently scrub ring wear off. I've tried on backs, DONT DO IT. I wouldnt do it on the back since it's just cardboard most of the time.
CAUSTION: If you rub too hard, you will end up scrubing graphics off. Be gently and patient. Try them on your neglected/worthless album covers.
Also good for stylus as Hifitommy mentioned. I still like them slightly moist for stylus cleaning.
Another possible CAUSTION: I dont buy used records from Ebay and others anymore, but chances are you'll endup paying more for so-called "no ring wear". You can also do the same as a seller, but as long as you know. We all should win.........

As for wet LP cleaning,
I've experimented with DIY record cleaning fluid, but none of my combinations just did it.
LAST power cleaner/All purpose cleaner? Not even close. But they are the best damn ripoff ever. $30 for 2-4 oz? They expect you to use 3 drops per side. Dont even get me started on their brush. If you wanna great deal on a brush that actually works, then get the Mobile Fidelity brush from your favorite store. Replacement is only $4.99 for 2, compared to $3 each by LAST that doesnt do much(I thought I wasnt gonna talk about it). Also, LAST brush just peels off after about 40-50 records(opps...:)). But I DO LOVE STYLAST by LAST. Seriously, consider it instead of other disc conditioners/treatment.

Now I use Record Research Lab, Super Vinyl Wash. It's really not expensive considering you'll get 32oz(<1 liter) of it. I use maybe 1/16oz per side(That's over 500 sides). I could use less, but when I first come home from LP stores I like to make sure I get them clean. Reason for my purchase was that I just couldn't get finger prints off with anything I tried in past. This gets the job done. Not all, but 95-98% of grime. That's pretty damn good for finger prints and caked on dust from 1-50 years ago.

I thought I enjoyed DIY alcohol/H2O mix, but I was really missing out on great music. I used to think, if it pops, then it's always gonna pop. That was defeintly not the case for records I cleaned.

Mobile Fidelty with Record Research Lab works extremly good. Dont skimp out guys. I'm sure there are other combinations out there, but this REALLY WORKS.

jrhymeammo
09-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Oh I forgot. Of course I use that stupid DIY LP vaccum machine to suck up dirty fluid I posted on Tweak, Mods, DIY forum. Ugliest looking, but works sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

fitzrik
10-02-2006, 04:36 PM
I'm afraid I'm pretty lazy too. I brush the dust off but sometimes let the stylus do it for me. Sacrilege I know. Luckily vinyl lps are far more resilient than most people give them credit for. Its ramarkable when you pick up a 40 or 50 year old record that still sounds great :)

My cds are in far worse shape!