New country, old country or NO country music? poll of sorts [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New country, old country or NO country music? poll of sorts

Mr Peabody
06-03-2005, 08:45 PM
I don't see much discussion of the genres country AND western here, so I pose the question, new country, old country or no ( could be used as torture outlawed by the Geneva convention ) country?

As for me a good song is a good song. I do like some country but I am an old country person mostly if I listen. Give me steel guitar, fiddling honky tonk music. Some artists that hold to traditional sounds are still doing albums like Alan Jackson. Much of the new country don't do much for me. Actually I hate when I hear a really good song from the new artists because I know the rest of the album is going to suck or be mediocre at best. Case in point, I like the song by Kenny Chesny "There Goes My Life" the rest of the album is as I described. This album does have exceptionally good sound compared to other country albums I've heard.

Dusty Chalk
06-03-2005, 08:56 PM
I like very little. Some new country (Shania Twain -- really pop crossover), some old country (Johnny Cash), and some no country (Achy Breaky...AAAAUUGGGGHHNGH!). But I will defend others the right to listen to it. So there.

JDaniel
06-03-2005, 09:57 PM
I listen to the majority of my music in this "in-between" genre. Sort of alt-country, Americana, Folk, Twangy type music. I'm not sure where it fits, but it ain't old-school country, and it ain't exactly Rock & Roll. Here's what's in the stack of recently played cds at my computer:

Uncle Tupelo
Whiskey Town
Cowboy Junkies
Band of Blacky Ranchette
Jesse Sykes & the Sweet Hereafter
Willard Grant Conspiracy
Doc Watson
Richmond Fontaine
Lucinda Williams
Lyle Lovett
JJ Cale
Guy Clarke
Townes Van Zandt
Wilco
Ben Harper
Mary Gauthier
Ray Lamontagne
Suzanne Vega
Matt Sweeney & Bonnie Prince Billy

Whatever category this stuff fits in, I like it. It's obviously not for everyone.

JD

Jim Clark
06-04-2005, 04:52 AM
None.

In college I got hooked on some Hank Jr. Can't say I listen to anything he's put out since '86. I'll still spin me some Johnny Cash and on very rare occasions Hank Williams but that's going to pretty much do it for me. I don't even listen to the stuff on JD's list although I've tried a lot of it.

jc

shokhead
06-04-2005, 05:13 AM
I'd rather look then listen.

Slosh
06-04-2005, 05:17 AM
You all are forgetting the most important thing which is just how incredibly amazing the new Stephen Malkmus album is :D

nobody
06-04-2005, 06:18 AM
I grew up hearing Johnny Cash and Hank Williams and a few others, Waylon, Willie, etc... I also like stuff like Chet Atkins, kinda countrypolitan jazz sounds and stuff like Buck Owens and the like. So, I have a pretty strong appreciation for country music I guess. I also heard a lot of country in little hole in the wall bars, so often I know more songs than albums and artists. Newer country, I tend not to be so wild about for the most part. Then again, I think its just like any other genre. There's plenty of good and bad. Most of the newer stuff just doesn't sound much like country to me is the problem. It's like pop that falls way behind the curve, sung with a bit of a twang.

Alan Jackson is a good example of one modern artist I like that actually gets a ton of mainstream country acceptance. Clint Black's got some good stuff too; so does George Straight, and I really, really like Dwight Yoakam and Lyle Lovett, but they're both pretty well off the mainstream country map these days, even though they both were fairly big in the genre not toooooo long ago. I did actually first hear Old Crow Medicine Show, a sorta hybred country/bluegrass band, on CMT for the first time and it was one of my favorite albums last year. And, CMT, by the way, has some good shows featuring past country greats and their video segments to contain the occasional gemm that you're not going to hear anyplace else.

So, yeah, I guess you could call me a country fan, hell I had Shotgun Willie on the turntable last night. But, I do struggle to find quality new country stuff, although I could probably go on listening to older country records forever before I extinguished the supply.

jasn
06-04-2005, 07:36 AM
I like the Bakersfield sound of Buck Owens, Dwight Yoakum, et al. I kinda liked the first Mavericks C.D. too, but they squandered my admiration since.

I think good old Country Rock is making a comeback also, thanks to Bo... ;)

Mr Peabody
06-04-2005, 07:48 AM
Dwight's the man! I'd like to see him put out some new material similar to his first couple. I can't understand why artists tend to stray away from the sound that made them famous. I don't advocate stamping the same album each time but when a sound or style made you who you are, you don't change it. He was also great in the movie Slingblade.

Davey
06-04-2005, 07:49 AM
I listen to the majority of my music in this "in-between" genre. Sort of alt-country, Americana, Folk, Twangy type music. I'm not sure where it fits, but it ain't old-school country, and it ain't exactly Rock & Roll.
Yeah, what he said. Anxiously awaiting the new one from Silver Jews. If it's a little bent and sounds kind of fractured and about to fall apart, that's the way I like it. Got no use for the slick popular stuff.

Stone
06-04-2005, 07:57 AM
I also like stuff like Chet Atkins, kinda countrypolitan jazz sounds and stuff like Buck Owens and the like.

I have a couple Chet Atkins records, but I only recently heard Buck Owens - I found his Live at Carnegie Hall CD in the used bin and picked it up. I could do without the Homer and Jethro type antics (although I'm sure seeing them live was a lot of fun), but the music is top notch. What studio album should I get (or is a greatest hits thing the best way to go next) with Buck Owens?

nobody
06-04-2005, 09:08 AM
This kind of stuff, I mostly grab old vinyl copies. It's the kind of stuff I've picked up mostly for a buck or less, so I tend to have a pretty scattershot collection, but I can make a few recommendatyions since I have listened to quite a bit from both folks. For Chet Atkins, I do think the must have record from him is A Session with Chet Atkins, his first full length LP. I have several other Chet Atkins records, but honestly, this is the one I grab so much more than any other, I sometimes wonder why I have others.

For Buck Owens, a hits package may be the way to go if you want to sample with something shiny and new. But, a couple individual ones that I really like would be I've Got a Tiger by the Tail, which has one of his bigger hits in the title track and a great series of tunes to go with it, and Buck Owens and his Buckaroos Live in Japan, worth it for the cover alone, featuring Buck and the boys in full cowboy gear with a couple of geisha girls. Fortunately, the set inside is fantastic as well.

Another thing, that isn't really exactly in the same mold, but close that I'd recommend would be Les Paul and Mary Ford records. They have one called Warm and Wonderful that I've seen get some mediocre reviews that I personally love for a laid back twangy jazz backing tracks with smotth female vocals over the top. Their earlier stuff gets more credit, and is good, but this one always does it for me for some reason.

Maybe the next comp I make needs to be a collection of this sort of stuff...I'd like having one myself. It'll take some time, but I'll post if and when I get something together.

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2005, 01:46 PM
There's three types of music that you'll never catch me listening too..

Rap
Opera
Country

There you have it.

Swish
06-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Many of the artists I like have already been mentioned, so I'll add a few more for extra seasoning:

Gillian Welch w/ David Rawlings (saw them live and it was awesome)
Lucinda Williams
Wilco (kinda-sorta alt-country, also outstanding live. Seeing them again June 23rd)
Emmylou Harris
Patti Griffin
Allison Krauss (not a favorite, but some nice stuff for sure)
Gram Parsons (the godfather of "country rock")

There are plenty more, but like I said, many have already been listed by JDaniel, Davey, and a few others, so I won't waste time thinking and typing.

Swish Baby

Note to F.A. - how can you dismiss an entire genre? Did you ever give it a chance? Believe it or not, there's are a few prog tunes that don't make be hurl or spew lunch.

J*E*Cole
06-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Gary Alan is one helluva guitarist, too bad he chose country for his outlet, so to speak. But actually, his tunes are kinda crossover country/rock/pop/I don't know what... But definitely worth a listen.

Troy
06-05-2005, 07:30 AM
Is Wall of Voodoo Country? Really, it's more western.

I like that, but that's about it.

http://www.designshed.com/cdcovers/mutantwestern.jpg

tentoze
06-05-2005, 08:13 AM
Nah, all of tha stuff is dreck.

NP: The Ernest Tubb Story

ForeverAutumn
06-06-2005, 04:43 AM
Note to F.A. - how can you dismiss an entire genre? Did you ever give it a chance? Believe it or not, there's are a few prog tunes that don't make be hurl or spew lunch.

Oh, I didn't realize that the criteria for enjoying music was that it doesn't make you hurl. :D

Okay, so there's a few prog tunes that don't make you hurl. But would you say that you listen to prog? Could you say that you like prog?

If I said to you "spacey prog, metal prog, or no prog?", how would you reply?

Sure, there's lots of country songs that don't make me want to stick knives in my ears. But that doesn't mean that you'll find me listening to country. Mr. Peabody asked, Old Country, New Country or No Country.

My response remains... no country.

(even though, I must admit, there are few alt country bands that don't make me hurl either. But I can't say I'd miss them much if they disappeared.)

Swish
06-06-2005, 06:42 AM
Oh, I didn't realize that the criteria for enjoying music was that it doesn't make you hurl. :D

Okay, so there's a few prog tunes that don't make you hurl. But would you say that you listen to prog? Could you say that you like prog?

If I said to you "spacey prog, metal prog, or no prog?", how would you reply?

Sure, there's lots of country songs that don't make me want to stick knives in my ears. But that doesn't mean that you'll find me listening to country. Mr. Peabody asked, Old Country, New Country or No Country.

My response remains... no country.

(even though, I must admit, there are few alt country bands that don't make me hurl either. But I can't say I'd miss them much if they disappeared.)

..who won't give new music a chance. :D

I remember, sort of, when you first joined this board and you had never heard of most of what "we" were listening to, save the prog. Since then you've opened up to many new bands with different music styles than you were accustomed to, correct? Well, there's plenty of alt-country you've never heard, so maybe you need to give it a shot? What do you have to lose? ;)

Swishster

3-LockBox
06-06-2005, 07:26 AM
Every now and then I'll hear something that really peaks my interest, but man, its been a while. I really liked acts like Garth Brooks, Brooks and Dunn, Mavericks, and Dwight Yokam, but none of these guys have put out anything lately that grabs me and I really dislike newer acts like Kenny Chesney or Toby Keith or Dixie Chicks. I do like some of the alt-country comps I've recieved in the last two or three years.

I do still listen occasionly to some acts. I think Garth Brooks' <i>No Fences</i> album is a gem. But I really liked is turn at pop in the guise of Chris Gaines. This one has become a favorite of mine over the years. Dwight Yokam's <i>This Time</i> is country's only real masterpiece of the last 20 years or so, and its become a desert island disc for me.

I guess its a real hit or miss genre for me because CW has become just as callow as pop music has in the last few years.

ForeverAutumn
06-06-2005, 08:23 AM
..who won't give new music a chance. :D

I remember, sort of, when you first joined this board and you had never heard of most of what "we" were listening to, save the prog. Since then you've opened up to many new bands with different music styles than you were accustomed to, correct? Well, there's plenty of alt-country you've never heard, so maybe you need to give it a shot? What do you have to lose? ;)

Swishster

Bring it on my friend! You know I'm always happy to spin a freebie. ;)

Dave_G
06-06-2005, 09:26 AM
I have Kenny Rogers "The Gambler" on MFSL lp, Willie Nelson "Stardust", and used to have some John Prine, that's about it for me.

But I'm in Forever Autumn's camp for the most part but add most pop, hip hop, jazz, etc.

I'm a rocker.

I do admit that lots of hot babes go to Kenny Chesney concerts though, so I'm told. But I still would not go to see him just for eye candy, unless I had -100 db attenuators in my ears.

Dave

Mr Peabody
06-06-2005, 06:34 PM
F.A. - you don't have to like Country music, I still love you anyway. I look forward to the music we have in common and even I can't appreciate Opra. Country and Rap was on your list, Bubba Sparxx would give you convulsions. Yo Yo Yee-hah

ForeverAutumn
06-07-2005, 03:38 PM
F.A. - you don't have to like Country music, I still love you anyway. I look forward to the music we have in common

Right back at ya Mr. Peabody.

XOXOXO

;)

Mr Peabody
06-07-2005, 07:15 PM
You all mention the fringe artists, who else has any Commander Cody? He is great. I also have a Best of thing by Jerry Jeff Walker who has a couple songs I like but I'm not over thrilled with it.

I also recently picked up the new Leann Rimes album. I only listened a couple time so far but I have to give high points for vocal talent, she sings very well on this album. i also would have to take some away because some of the songs aren't real strong, although her voice is. I don't know what she is categorized as now. I know one of the songs is on the Country charts but this album isn't really country, it's on the verge of Pop or some songs Southern rock. Our local Country stations don't seem to be embracing her. That's not saying much though, we have 2 and neither are worth listening to. They both claim to be "The Home of New Country", puke.

KEXPMF
06-07-2005, 09:34 PM
There's three types of music that you'll never catch me listening too..

Rap
Opera
Country

There you have it.

1. Country :eek:
2. Opera :eek:
3. Smooth Jazz :eek:

Resident Loser
06-08-2005, 08:30 AM
...Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen...yaaa-hooo!!!

"...you know you're gonna' drive me to drinkin', if you don't stop drivin' that hot----rod----Lincoln..."

I dunno' aren't they more Texas swing than C&W...steel guitars nothwithstanding...

I was brought up on 78s from Hank Williams, Tex Ritter, Eddie Arnold and Tennessee Ernie Ford...and Patsy...Patsy Cline...even watched "Hee-Haw" later on...

As far as I'm concerned, country really went into the dumper with that ache-ey- breaky cr@pola...and now, well...the last folks I enjoyed were Randy Travis, Vern Gosdin, John Anderson, Mark Chesnutt...more of the singer/storyteller kinda' folks...earlier Lyle Lovett and the "Ropin The Wind" guy(whose name escapes me at present)...Vince Gill has a great voice IMO and George Strait and Alan Jackson...There are a couple of ladies I enjoy but dagnabbit, they must be in that same place as as that "Wind" guy...Allison Krauss and Union Station are really top-notch...

Anyone who doesn't appreciate country should look at it as a form of ethnic or roots music...after all, it can be traced back to Scots-Irish/Celtic music, to folk and Appalachian/Mountain and bluegrass...even the blues is just another dynamic of it's basic chord structure. In fact, the only real "melting pot" is in the music...many different paths evolving from a central point, co-existing and crossing over, re-inventing itself every so often.

And, to whom it may concern, what's wrong with opera? You only think you don't or won't like it...If you enjoy classical, try finding releases of opera without words...Instrumental versions of Wagner's "Ring Cycle" is a good place to start...Big, bold and a workout for your system...or at least some overtures...You can get "Carmen" which is really an easy one to "ease" into as you are probably familiar with many of the melodies...

I've listened to classical/opera for about forty years now and still have a problem with some of the female singers...male tenors or bassos, no problemo...some of those coloratura sopranos are a whole 'nother thing...except for "The Queen Of The Night" in Mozart's "Die Zauberflotte"...amazing!!!

Anywho, I dislike rap and dismiss it as bad poetry accompanied by samples...smooth jazz bites...give me early Coltrane and Davis any time...tech-no-pop get's a thumbs-down, but I did like Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" and M's "Pop Muzik"...and of course the latest stuff that sells as pop is right out...

jimHJJ(...other than that, anything from Native American flute music to Zydeco...)

ForeverAutumn
06-08-2005, 09:35 AM
And, to whom it may concern, what's wrong with opera? You only think you don't or won't like it...If you enjoy classical, try finding releases of opera without words

You're right. When I refer to opera, I refer to opera singing. Take away the vocals and I quite enjoy the music...but then I don't think of it as opera. It's music. :)

Resident Loser
06-08-2005, 09:56 AM
...Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana"?...music and singing(latin no less) but it ain't opera...Very dramatic...it could change your mind...Perhaps your local library has a copy in their Fine Arts dept...

jimHJJ(...and they're saying such naughty things...)

nobody
06-08-2005, 12:18 PM
"O Mio Babbino Caro", or something to that effect, is Opera that just about anyone I've ever played it for has absolutely loved. Its Puccini, from Gianni Schicchi, and it is absolutely beautiful in both the music and the singing.

KEXPMF
06-09-2005, 07:46 PM
...Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen...yaaa-hooo!!!

"...you know you're gonna' drive me to drinkin', if you don't stop drivin' that hot----rod----Lincoln..."

I dunno' aren't they more Texas swing than C&W...steel guitars nothwithstanding...

I was brought up on 78s from Hank Williams, Tex Ritter, Eddie Arnold and Tennessee Ernie Ford...and Patsy...Patsy Cline...even watched "Hee-Haw" later on...

As far as I'm concerned, country really went into the dumper with that ache-ey- breaky cr@pola...and now, well...the last folks I enjoyed were Randy Travis, Vern Gosdin, John Anderson, Mark Chesnutt...more of the singer/storyteller kinda' folks...earlier Lyle Lovett and the "Ropin The Wind" guy(whose name escapes me at present)...Vince Gill has a great voice IMO and George Strait and Alan Jackson...There are a couple of ladies I enjoy but dagnabbit, they must be in that same place as as that "Wind" guy...Allison Krauss and Union Station are really top-notch...

Anyone who doesn't appreciate country should look at it as a form of ethnic or roots music...after all, it can be traced back to Scots-Irish/Celtic music, to folk and Appalachian/Mountain and bluegrass...even the blues is just another dynamic of it's basic chord structure. In fact, the only real "melting pot" is in the music...many different paths evolving from a central point, co-existing and crossing over, re-inventing itself every so often.

And, to whom it may concern, what's wrong with opera? You only think you don't or won't like it...If you enjoy classical, try finding releases of opera without words...Instrumental versions of Wagner's "Ring Cycle" is a good place to start...Big, bold and a workout for your system...or at least some overtures...You can get "Carmen" which is really an easy one to "ease" into as you are probably familiar with many of the melodies...

I've listened to classical/opera for about forty years now and still have a problem with some of the female singers...male tenors or bassos, no problemo...some of those coloratura sopranos are a whole 'nother thing...except for "The Queen Of The Night" in Mozart's "Die Zauberflotte"...amazing!!!

Anywho, I dislike rap and dismiss it as bad poetry accompanied by samples...smooth jazz bites...give me early Coltrane and Davis any time...tech-no-pop get's a thumbs-down, but I did like Kraftwerk's "Autobahn" and M's "Pop Muzik"...and of course the latest stuff that sells as pop is right out...

jimHJJ(...other than that, anything from Native American flute music to Zydeco...)

OK good points. I hadn't really meant folk,Appalachian Mountain and bluegrass music or roots music when I said I don't like country. (I was thinking of Travis Tritt and stuff like that). I LOVE bluegrass, folk, Appalachian/Mountain music, roots music. I just did a DJ night that where I played all blues (Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf, etc) and bluegrass (Grisman, Fleck, etc).

Also, I like classical. I suppose Opera could be okay for me if I saw the right thing but I don't know. I feel like I've given it a try and it's not my thing.

And we seem to agree that there is no hope for smooth jazz :)

I would like to start a movement to take the word jazz out of smooth jazz. I propose that the name be changed to "homogenized elevator music". ( I wish I could take credit for creating that term. I don't remember where I read that but I wasn't the originator) :)

KEXPMF
06-09-2005, 07:50 PM
...Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana"?...music and singing(latin no less) but it ain't opera...Very dramatic...it could change your mind...Perhaps your local library has a copy in their Fine Arts dept...

jimHJJ(...and they're saying such naughty things...)

Carmina Burana is great. One of my favorite classical cds in my small classical collection.