What if.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What if....

Mr Peabody
06-03-2005, 08:30 PM
If you could ban any band from your local radio station or stations for a whole year which would it be? And you could put one song of your choice into rotation, what would it be?

You might think me crazy but I'd ban AC/DC. I like them and have several albums but our local rock station plays multiples of daily AC/DC.

My question is too difficult, only one song..... What comes to mind now is that song Jewell done on her album before last I think it's called Worship the Ego or something to do with ego. It was out of character for her but a great song. I guess it was too much for the type of stations that usually play her stuff.

Dusty Chalk
06-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, since I don't listen to the radio, it's hard for me to tell what is overplayed, but I would think Led Zeppelin...no, they're cool. Do Flaming Lips get much airplay? I kind of have come to hate them, I need to take a break from them myself, perhaps.

Song into rotation -- something jollily sinister, like Lacrimosa or Project Pitchfork, I think. Or something that might actually pick up, like Planet P Project, "Work Will Make You Free" or "My Radio Talks to Me". RIYL solo Roger Waters.

JDaniel
06-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Any Lynrd Skynrd song. And Zep. And Van Halen. And Aerosmith.

But this is all a moot point, as I never listen to the radio.

JD

Jim Clark
06-04-2005, 04:48 AM
Got to go with everyone else, I banned the radio. One is simply not enough.

Something in rotation: I'm thinking the Raveonettes "Somewhere In Texas" or "You Say You Lie" deserves some air time on KCJC today.

jc

shokhead
06-04-2005, 05:18 AM
Any Lynrd Skynrd song. And Zep. And Van Halen. And Aerosmith.

But this is all a moot point, as I never listen to the radio.

JD

I'm with you as i only listen to the news. FM today is the AM of the 60's but more advertizing and very,very little music.

nobody
06-04-2005, 06:23 AM
You're from St. Louis, so you'll probably either love or hate this suggestion, but how about we just break down KSHE's transmitter...

Mr Peabody
06-04-2005, 07:22 AM
You're from St. Louis, so you'll probably either love or hate this suggestion, but how about we just break down KSHE's transmitter...

KSHE was once one of the greatest R&R stations in the world this side of gorilla radio. Now they represent a prime example of corporate contamination. Fortunately they are still allowed to do some block programming like "KSHE Klassics" which is good but still don't vere off into anything that hasn't been played on the station before. And you have to wonder what if anything will be a future KSHE Klassic. K-HITS is feeling competition from a new station here in town whose motto is "70's, 80's, 90's and whatever we want". They will play Creed and the next song may be Madonna. I think it's catching on so at least K-HITS is second guessing their idea that radio listeners have attention deficit disorders and memory lapses. K-HITS programming has opened up a listener hotline and has been doing a lot of special programming lately. The type of programming that is getting some long unheard songs back on the radio and playing some deeper cuts. I can't say I like it all but I have to applaud the effort. The reason we have KSHE Klassics is the old KSHE played artists that didn't get airplay anywhere else and these artists have a unique following from people who have lived in this area. How many people around the U.S. have heard of JD Blackfoot, Novo Combo, Headboys, etc. Stations need to go back to giving newer and unheard artists a chance.

Those who don't listen to radio, how do you find new music? I will not buy an album without hearing some of it. Satelite has helped some for me to hear things that aren't normally on the radio. I have not found reviews of albums helpful unless it's from a friend or maybe someone here who I am familiar with their tastes.

Davey
06-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Those who don't listen to radio, how do you find new music? I will not buy an album without hearing some of it. Satelite has helped some for me to hear things that aren't normally on the radio. I have not found reviews of albums helpful unless it's from a friend or maybe someone here who I am familiar with their tastes.
440 posts and you still have to ask? Hehehe, most of us around here have stacks of stuff at home from our buddies here that we are working into the listening cue. That's why we're here. Yeah, somebody has to find it first and take a chance, but it's like a music network. You talk about what you're listening to and what you like. You find a few people with tastes kind of like yours and pretty soon you're swimming in music, some of it in the form of sampler comps, some demo discs, and plenty that you buy off the rack. Some of it will make you happy, some sad, some might even be like an epiphany, and, of course, some will make you question the mental condition of your fellow Rave Wreckers, but it's all for fun and profit, mostly benefitting everyone, artist and listener alike.

At least that's my take. But I buy a lot of music unheard too, trusting a few music critics that I like. The ones that live with an album for a few weeks or months, and then report on it. Those are the reviews I value. I've never had that much luck buying music that I like on the listening station or by listening to some brief samples. Often times it winds up in the seldom played pile. Guess I like a challenge :)

Dusty Chalk
06-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Those who don't listen to radio, how do you find new music? I will not buy an album without hearing some of it. Well, first of all, what Davey said. Secondly, I have a lot of music-hungry friends (such as myself) who are always suggesting things. Sometimes it's like pulling teeth to get more of description than "it's cool", but I'll go through the effort, because I don't always agree with my friends' tastes. Finally, I will buy an album without hearing it first, if the description is enough to convince me. I read a lot of magazines, and the best thing about them is their review section.

Troy
06-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Is that avatar Peter Lorre, Davey?

I'd ban John Mayer, or John Cougar Melonballs, or Tracy Chapman, damn, I could list 'em all day long.

I'd like to hear Porcupine Tree's "Shesmovedon" or "Lazarus" on the radio. They would do well, I think.

I never hear anything on the radio I end up buying. I learn about music through sites like this one (and a host of others). I read a lot. I spend a lot of time at listening stations in stores.

I WILL buy stuff unheard. I do it all the time, BUT, I generally only buy used so the risk is low because I sell the dogs back to the used store and recoup half my $.

Davey
06-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Is that avatar Peter Lorre, Davey?
Mumbles, aka Stone....but I'm kind of a mumbler too.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=89257&postcount=37

ForeverAutumn
06-04-2005, 01:58 PM
I would most definately ban Alanis Morisette from the radio. In fact, I'd like to ban her music from the planet please. She is the most over-rated, undertalented, performer I know. Just my opinion of course.

Now, adding one song to the playlist, that's much more difficult. How come we can outlaw a whole band but can only add one song. That just doesn't seem fair. So, I'm going to add a whole band. And I'm going to choose The Shins....or Porcupine Tree. I guess it would depend on who my target market is.

Swish
06-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Mumbles, aka Stone....but I'm kind of a mumbler too.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=89257&postcount=37

You know, it's 99% of the lawyers that give the rest a bad name.

Swish Baby

Swish
06-04-2005, 02:23 PM
I admit I do listen on rare occasion, but that's only after I need a break from my CD changer. I don't search for music, I search for news or talk radio, something informative. There are very few radio stations with music programming I can tolerate, so why bother? Most are playing really crappy "R & B" or rap that make serious music fans cringe, or "classic rock" that was never classic to me (Journey, BTO, Aerosmith, ad nauseam).

Say, speaking of BTO, whatever happended to that Over 50 guy? I don't recall seeing a post from him in many eons. I used to bust his b<a>alls about BTO, who he liked and I, well, lets just say they make to wanna lose my lunch.

Swish

Davey
06-04-2005, 02:54 PM
You know, it's 99% of the lawyers that give the rest a bad name.

Swish Baby
Yeah, just about every joke can be turned into a lawyer joke, huh?

What do lawyers use for birth control?
Their personalities.

http://www.bookcase.com/library/icons/cartoons/simpsons/lawyer.gif

Kaboom
06-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Lol hoping for a real answer to that in a place where people tend to have 1000+ albums in ANY medium is pretty optimisic.
Me, as most others, quit listening to the radio. Spanish radio is crap anyways and u only get the latest and greatest britney spears, eminem and a myriad of crappy spanish bands. Whenever i get into the car i'm carrying at least 2 CDs with me.
HOWEVER, if i could ban any one band from getting ANY airplay, it'd have to be queen. Now i ABSOLUTELY adore queen, and its easily one of my fav. bands ever, but another one bites the dust, the show must go on and we will rock you, although catchy, are FAR from being their best music. and its all they'll play from them...

shokhead
06-04-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm thinking those that are in the 1000's have a large number with 1 or 2 songs of quality and the rest isnt listened to. Maybe why i'm only in the 100's,i try to get cd's with more then a few that i like but i'm not that lucky everytime. Between sites that let you hear clips,tower records that have listening stations with some cd's to hear,reviews and word of mouth,you hope to get lucky. Once there was a great music place down here that had 10-12 cd players with headphones and you could take up to 5 at a time and the guy behind the counter would upwrap and load so you could listen. If you liked it you bought it and if not,he rewraped.

kexodusc
06-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Good call on the Alannis Morrissette thing...yuck.
Gotta admit, I wouldn't mind seeing Cher disappear forever..

MindGoneHaywire
06-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Can't name just one artist that deserves to be banned from radio stations I haven't listened to in 20 years...because I couldn't stand listening to artists like them anymore. Those would be the Eagles, Rush, & Aerosmith.

If I could add one song into the rotation...Slim Gaillard's Yep Roc Heresy or My Girl's P*ssy by R. Crumb's Cheap Suit Serenaders. Or, hell, the Moog Cookbook's cover of Hotel California. Or, er, a Beefheart tune I can't remember the name of right now...

At this point playlists on rock radio stations have pretty much moved on from the damage that Lee Abrams inflicted on the listeners of rock radio in the 1970s by inventing the AOR format, to the exclusion of all else, and which eventually morphed into 'classic rock,' thereby insuring that anyone interested enough in having this stuff forcefed to them would be joyfully hearing the same 250 songs played over & over again for the next 20 years. Now it's all based on focus groups, so blaming the stations or the jocks or Clear Channel just doesn't wash. They're only playing what the research indicates people want to hear. Of course, they only ask the people who actually listen to these stations...which, in spite of two or three recent format changes on NYC airwaves, still manage to regurgitate the same 250 songs. Or 500 songs, if we're being generous today. Classic rock, anyone? You know, the Who only recorded about 3 tunes worth broadcasting on commercial rock radio these days...or is that 2 tunes?

Kaboom
06-05-2005, 01:58 AM
That's where in internet comes in!!
long gone are the days where i wouldn't spend a dime on CDs or vinyl, and where eMule was my best friend.
Now when i hear the name of a new band, or someone recommends something, i'll download it first. If i like it, i'll go buy it, if it sucks, i'll delete it (dont have that much hard drive space anymore). This method REALLY kicks ass. If i can't find the album anywhere, i'll just keep listening to the pirate copy till i can get my hands on the real thing. And some things are just unobtainable like the verve remaster of "we get requests".
This way i've managed to keep MOST of my albums worthy all-through, instead of having just one or two good songs. And hey i'm a poor college student, i refuse to pay 15 bucks for 2 songs