Any idea or similar experience? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any idea or similar experience?

Mr Peabody
06-03-2005, 07:56 PM
I recently switched to Charter cable and I have one of their Molix DVR boxes. This box has both a optical (toslink) and coaxial digital output. The cable company says they are supposed to work. I am on the second box and neither box will output a digital signal. I am using the optical. I tried the coaxial once just to see if it would work and it did not. There is NO obvious solution, my system is definitely set properly and I have been on the phone with so many CSR's I'm having nightmares. Apparently all you are supposed to have to do is go into the Molix menu and select Dolby Digital and that's it. The only other options are RF or L/R stereo (analog).

Could I be the lucky one to beat the odds and get 2 bad boxes in a row?
Could Charter not have the software to make these outputs work and too dumb to know it? They claim they have other people using these outputs but I'm not convinced they know what they are and they think I'm the ignorant one. Duh, is your receiver on, and is it set to the correct input? BANG!!!
Could Motorola have sent Charter a bad batch of Molixs in which the digital outputs are either defective or not hooked up at all?

Moral of the story, keep your dishes if you have them.

signed: Gone bloody mad

gonefishin
06-04-2005, 06:34 AM
I wonder if they just don't have this features enabled yet in your area???

not sure. Two places I could think of to look for an answer would be AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?) and the BroadBand Reports Forums (http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all).

Good luck finding an answer...let us know :)

dan

Smokey
06-04-2005, 08:07 AM
This box has both a optical (toslink) and coaxial digital output. The cable company says they are supposed to work.

My experience with cable company (Comcast) is most of times, they don't know what they are talking about. So most of time, you are on your own.

My digital menu is buried way deep in cable box menu (under audio), so you may have to dig little bit around-that is if you haven't done so.

Also digital output will only work with digital channels, and sometimes only with premium ones.

Good luck.

Jim Clark
06-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Also digital output will only work with digital channels, and sometimes only with premium ones.

Good luck.

And not all shows on those feeds have a DD soundtrack, but I'm assuming Mr. Peabody already knows that.

I'm also assuming that he knows that the digital input has to be assigned, typically via the receivers/pre onscreen set up guide. HT 101 things, still he didn't rule it out and sometimes it is the simple things that through us for loops but they are the easiest to fix!

jc

gonefishin
06-04-2005, 10:21 AM
My digital menu is buried way deep in cable box menu (under audio), so you may have to dig little bit around-that is if you haven't done so.

Good luck.

Hi Smoke. I'd have to agree with about Comcast. Usually your best off to find information on your box from the manufacturers PDF files or avs or dslreports website.

On some of the motorola boxes you can reach a user settings menu by powering off your cable box with the television still on. Now, with the box off, press the menu button one time. Here you can select the tv type, ypbpr output and 4:3 override.

Also you should still get sound via your dig coax or fiber output from the box on all channels. Even the low analog local channels feed an audio signal out the coax and fiber., if your reciever is capable of auto-detecting the feed.

I've only got one output from my cable box to my HT reciever which plays an audio signal for all feeds and all channels. No matter if it's two channel or full out DD5.1.

dan

Worf101
06-04-2005, 10:52 AM
on my Scientific America HiDef box if I'm on a premium channel or if TBS is broadcasting in 5.1 that day. Most others are in "stereo" only.... but its still coming out my coaxial digital out.

Da Worfster :cool:

Smokey
06-04-2005, 11:23 AM
Thanks Jim, gonefishin and Worf101 for correcting me.

I should have said [DD] digital output will only work with digital channels, and sometimes only with premium ones.

As you all said, it just might be matter of tweaking the right menu (or right connection) to get everything working. One day I spend half day tweaking both receiver and cable box trying to get them working together without any luck. And came to find out that I had plugged in digital cable to the wrong output...DUH!