Recommend a HDTV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a HDTV

crasher
06-03-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm ready to buy a new HDTV but am not sure which one to get. I'm looking at the Mitsubishi WD52525, JVC HD-52Z575(HD-ILA) & Samsung HL-P5674W.
I've got a Denon 2900 DVD player & my surround speakers are by Paradigm with a ATI AT1505 amp & B&K REF 20 A/V Controller.
Any recommendations on which TV i might buy?
Should I purchase th extended warrenty for $400?

Mr Peabody
06-03-2005, 07:35 PM
Of the 3 I liked the JVC the best but the prive of the Dila is still high. You can buy a larger screen DLP for the same money or less. Have you looked at the Toshiba DLP's? I have the 61" and love it. Great picture and the remote is lay out is very ergonomic.

EdwardGein
06-03-2005, 11:36 PM
Mitsubishi 48" HDTV Costs $1600 perfect picture

Get an extended warranty for insurance if nothing else

Jim Clark
06-04-2005, 05:21 AM
I'm severely editing this post to dispose of the rants so it it doesn't seem to flow, that's why!

of those, I liked the Mits the best.

DLP has a great many proponents but the one thing that seems to stand out is that the extended warranty seems to be a no brainer but only if it covers bulb replacement for the life of the warranty.

AR is a great resource but if you wish to read until you go blind I'd suggest the forums at AVS for discussion on TVs. I've found it incredibly useful in making my decision, or at least setting me on the best path for myself.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php?

satscram 4000
06-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Crasher, I've got the Mitsubishi WD-62725 medallion series, and I love it. Picture quality, ease of
operation, and 6 IR emitters came with the set, so you can get everything running off the one remote.
Mitsubishi's DLP sets start at the 325 series, then go up to the 825 (diamond series) The only basic
difference between the 725 & 825 series is the diamond series has a built in hard drive for digital video recording. I saw the samsung next to mine in the showroom, it was much brighter. Then I found
out that whenever the individual sales reps come in, they crank everything wide open. As for the extended warranty, the lamp is about the only thing that you woul dneed to worry about, a repl lamp
for my set is in the $250 - $300 range, and check the waranty carefully, as most offer only one lamp
replacemant over the life of the warranty. And these extended warranties overlap coverage with the
mfgr's warranty. I paid $3,700.00 for mine (out the door). As I have a huge great room I was looking
for the most bang for my buck. Plasma's skyrocket inn price once you start going over the 42" size.

topspeed
06-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Gotta agree, avsforums.com definitely has more info regarding TV's. Check 'em out.

I'm personally waiting for the new DILA's later this month (in 52", the 70" is already available) as I hate the screen door effect and prefer the picture to DLP's. TVauthority has the JVC 575 series for ridiculously low prices right now as they get ready for the new models in a couple of weeks. IIRC, it's around $1800! This differences are a supposedly improved chip and slimmer cabinet. That's about it.