Denon 5805 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon 5805

Duds
06-03-2005, 12:41 PM
An old supervisor of mine recently purchased the Denon 5805. He says the thing is incredible, and hell, for $6000 it should be!!! I cant imagine trying to figure out all of the bells and whistles this beast has, but I would sure have fun trying to do so!!!

Anyone here have any experience with this model?

N. Abstentia
06-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Dang, I'd hate to spend $6k and STILL not have seperates. I think I'd go for a $2500 preamp and a $1000 amp and have a better setup along with $1500 left over :)

edtyct
06-03-2005, 02:01 PM
As far as I'm concerned, its biggest claim to fame is its Silicon Optix scaling/deinterlacing, which used to be found only in the ultra-expensive Teranex video-processing system (six figures), though the rest of it has a spectacular pedigree, too. The 5910, as well as the even more expensive DVD players out there, generally appeal to buyers who don't have to think about money, One can only hope that they make the most of it. I'm willing to bet that with a large front-projection screen, its enhancements make a palpable difference.

Ed

cam
06-03-2005, 03:51 PM
Dang, I'd hate to spend $6k and STILL not have seperates. I think I'd go for a $2500 preamp and a $1000 amp and have a better setup along with $1500 left over :)
with $2500 left over.

topspeed
06-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd be looking at separates as well, but I've got to tip my hat to Denon. That beastie is absolutely State of the Art. I don't know how good the amps are, but they sure didn't screw around with any of the processing chipsets!

paul_pci
06-03-2005, 04:59 PM

Just out of curiousity, why would you spend 1K more on a preamp than the amp? I'd think it would be the other way around.

edtyct
06-04-2005, 09:26 AM
I just realized that I was talking about an entirely different component than the receiver that Duds was talking about. Mine is the new flagship DVD player. Sorry guys. I feel like the proverbial brown shoe with a tuxedo. As Roseanne Roseannadanna used to say, "Never mind."

Ed

drseid
06-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Another vote for separates...

The Denon is a fine receiver, but when you are in the 4K and up price range, I always would want the flexability separates provide.

---Dave

N. Abstentia
06-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Just out of curiousity, why would you spend 1K more on a preamp than the amp? I'd think it would be the other way around.

All the amp has to do is amplify the signal it's given. $1000 will buy a NICE multi channel amp that will more than do the job.

A preamp on the other hand is the heart & soul. It does all the signal processing, routing, switching..etc which is why they usually cost more.

kexodusc
06-05-2005, 06:47 AM
Performance wise, I wouldn't be surprised if that Denon stood toe-to-toe with a lot of separate combo's right now...not so sure in 4 years time you can say the same thing...and it's much easier to buy a new pre/pro than a whole 'nuther $6000 receiver...yikes.
I'll bet it's a great receiver unit though.

Jim Clark
06-05-2005, 08:05 AM
All the amp has to do is amplify the signal it's given. $1000 will buy a NICE multi channel amp that will more than do the job.

A preamp on the other hand is the heart & soul. It does all the signal processing, routing, switching..etc which is why they usually cost more.

With a little more than idle curiousity I'm wondering what multichannel amps you're talking about. I'm familiar with the Outlaw 755 for $1,300 but if there is something out there I've missed I'd like to know about it since I'm in the market myself.

Thanks,
jc

paul_pci
06-05-2005, 10:12 AM
With a little more than idle curiousity I'm wondering what multichannel amps you're talking about. I'm familiar with the Outlaw 755 for $1,300 but if there is something out there I've missed I'd like to know about it since I'm in the market myself.

Thanks,
jc

Actually, I think you can find a Rotel 5-channel amp for about a grand.

N. Abstentia
06-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Rotel was exactly what I was thinking. I'm also keeping an eye on Ebay and I see Acurus and Adcom for around that range also.