bsr2005
06-02-2005, 07:49 PM
I am planning to setup HT. Thinking of

Yamaha RX-V2500 receiver
Energy C-5, C-C3, C-R3 speakers

Looking for suggestions.
-----------------------------------

Is it a good combination?
Are there any good speakers available which works well with Yamaha.

I don't want to spend much at this time on speakers. ;)

Florian
06-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Welcome to Audioreview !

You will find many helpfull opinions and suggestions on this site. Please also post a picture of your setup in the gallery, if you have a camera.

Well the Receiver by itself. I have no experience with the Energys but i heard the small miniature B&W's a while ago and found them to be pretty good sounding in respect to their size and price. Another one that comes to mind is the Paradigm speakers my friend own, he has the HT setup from them. I think they were Paradigm Atoms and then the matching inwall surrounds and sub. Check them out too, and if your interested check a different technology at magnepan.com

-Flo

GMichael
06-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Hi bsr2005,

I have the Yamaha and like it. But I don't know anything about the speakers. The receiver sounds very good mated with the Infinity Primus 360's. I know these aren't the best rated speakers but maybe I found that synergy thing that people talk about. Still, if I had it to do over I would have at least tried the Magnepans before I bought anything. I heard a pair for the first time last week. Very nice! Now they are just on my wish list.
Good luck sifting through all the options.

Mike

JSE
06-03-2005, 08:03 AM
The Energy C5's are very good speakers for their price. I listened to them a couple of years ago and was impressed. The bass is not the strongest but it is very good for the size of the speaker. I think you will find this to be the case with alot of speakers in this class. They generally get very good consumer reviews on the web.

However, listen to other brands as well if you can. The energy speakers are good speaker but speakers are a very personal choice and you might find something you enjoy more. That's not saying one speaker is better than another but every person hears sound differently.

JSE

topspeed
06-03-2005, 08:10 AM
Isn't the C series being phased out? If so, you can probably work a swinging deal on them!

kexodusc
06-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Nope, the Energy Connoisseurs are just switching production to China. Design is still in Canada. I don't think the prices are dropping, just the cost (higher margins), but we'll see.

dave123456@mail.com
06-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Hi bsr2005,

I have the Yamaha and like it. But I don't know anything about the speakers. The receiver sounds very good mated with the Infinity Primus 360's. I know these aren't the best rated speakers but maybe I found that synergy thing that people talk about. Still, if I had it to do over I would have at least tried the Magnepans before I bought anything. I heard a pair for the first time last week. Very nice! Now they are just on my wish list.
Good luck sifting through all the options.

Mike

Ive heard the Primus 360's were very good speakers, something about Infinity put a lot of time and money into designing them?

GMichael
06-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Ive heard the Primus 360's were very good speakers, something about Infinity put a lot of time and money into designing them?

I am not sure why they sound so good to me but I look forward to getting home every day to hear them again. All day long I have plans in the back of my head of what new CD or DVD will be on tonight's listening list.
Anyways, they are still running their special of FREE bookshelf speakers with a $398 purchase. Infinity's site says "only one free set per customer or household." But I bought mine from Crutchfield and they don't seem to have the same restriction. I bought the 360's and they sent 2 150's free. Then I ordered the center and sub and they sent two more 150's. All ordered and shipped on the same day. No tax and only $15.00 freight. It's a nice deal.

bsr2005
06-05-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi,
Thanks to every one. At one of local stores this weekend, I saw B & W speakers 700 series. I know I am crossing my budget, but does any one know about them.

Energy is costing me $1200 for all, where as B & W floor standing itself $1000. Is there any place I can get some discount. I am also planning to buy SONY Projector Sony VPL-HS51. Any Ideas on projectors.

RGA
06-05-2005, 07:10 PM
I would go with the Energy C-series over the B&W 700 series. if you're willing to spend more anyway look at the Energy C9 floorstander. The B&W's have supporters -- so ignore us...take the 704 or whichever home and take the Energy's home...the C9 has more visceral impact better bass response and a similar top end -- for much cheaper. they don;t look as cool perhaps.

In the end it's up to your ears to decide -- just try not to let your eyes fool your ears into thinking they sound better because they look better. The Energys are possibly easier to drive to boot which is always helpful when one is using a receiver as their amplifier.

Florian
06-06-2005, 03:52 AM
I agree with RGA, it doesnt always have to be a B&W. There are other good speakers out there too. After talking with the designer of Audio Note it became apparent to me that eventough he seeks a different goal with his system than i do, he is still a person who loves music and thats what unites us all. Check out the Audio Note's, Energy's, Paradigm, Magnepan etc... and see what you like best. Dont jump on the first advertising bandwagon, unless you like it.

-Flo

bsr2005
06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
Thanks for your input RGA and Florian,

I decided, I am buying Energy C5's as I noted earlier. How about SVS Subwoofer's, Are they good. Any suggestions.

Florian
06-07-2005, 12:14 AM
Well i havent heard SVS's yet, but the ones i can recommend are.

Velodyne DD and HGS
Rel Strata and Studio
Rega Vulcan
VMPS
Tannoy

Try to find one thats servo controled.

-Flo

bsr2005
06-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Finally I got
Energy C-9, C-C1, C-R3 speakers

PAT.P
06-26-2005, 08:38 PM
Finally I got
Energy C-9, C-C1, C-R3 speakers
Congrad Energy make nice speaker and sub .They are compatable to Paradigm.I have a pair of the Classic Energy XL16 Bookshelf .Pat.P

PAT.P
06-26-2005, 08:55 PM
Infinity ,Jbl ,Jbl Pro,Revel Mark Levinson ,Crown ect ect are all part in Harman Kardon group ,maybe thats why they put a lot of money in designing .They want a part of a large market .Pat.P