Audioslave - "Out of Exile" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Audioslave - "Out of Exile"

kexodusc
06-02-2005, 06:18 AM
Lucky me, there was a question on my local Top 40/Hard Rock radio station this morning about "Mean" Joe Greene and the Pittsburgh Steelers...I correctly answered the question and won a brand new shiny Audioslave CD. Picked it up on my way to work!

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a big fan of these guys...in my youth I was into the whole Seattle scene back in its heyday, and I've always respected the funky edgy musicianship of Rage Against the Machine - but I've sort of moved on long since these guys got together, even if they were a somewhat interesting blend for their first album.

Out of Exile starts off rather slow, sounding like most other RATM albums as far as instruments go, and Chris Cornell sounding like Chris Cornell. The 1st track and 3rd track are probably destined for singles (if one of them is, I apologize, haven't heard yet). Pretty decent radio-friendly hard rock.

What surprised me is how the band is actually exploring a few new things musically. They seem to really have found an identity now instead of just being the RATM guys and that Soundgarden dude. More slower songs, some solo's, not the typical "attack-funk-wah-repeat" formula that got stale with Rage Against the Machine.
Unlike most albums, I find this actually is back-end loaded, the songs seem to get stronger as the album plays on. Nice touch.

This is a much more cohesive piece of work than Audioslave's self-titled debut, not a bad freebie at all!

Nothing absolutely spectacular here but if you're a fan of either of RATM or Soundgarden, or just liked the first Audioslave album, go ahead and get this. If you didn't like any of these guys, there's probably not much new here for you to get into, even if it is a better effort this time around. This is a really solid hard-rock album that sounds different than the typical cowboy-growling Creed/Seether/Nickelback/Theory of Deadman stuff that we've been stuck with for the last 5 years or so.

I'll give it a solid B rating. Fans of the 3 groups might actually like this a lot more than I do.

Duds
06-02-2005, 06:39 AM
My question is why cant Tom Morello play a guitar the way its supposed to be played? He always has to make these annoying sounds with it, and in my opinion its getting quite old. I like Soundgarden, and I like Rage, but i just dont think Audioslave works.

Lucky me, there was a question on my local Top 40/Hard Rock radio station this morning about "Mean" Joe Greene and the Pittsburgh Steelers...I correctly answered the question and won a brand new shiny Audioslave CD. Picked it up on my way to work!

I'll be the first to admit I'm not a big fan of these guys...in my youth I was into the whole Seattle scene back in its heyday, and I've always respected the funky edgy musicianship of Rage Against the Machine - but I've sort of moved on long since these guys got together, even if they were a somewhat interesting blend for their first album.

Out of Exile starts off rather slow, sounding like most other RATM albums as far as instruments go, and Chris Cornell sounding like Chris Cornell. The 1st track and 3rd track are probably destined for singles (if one of them is, I apologize, haven't heard yet). Pretty decent radio-friendly hard rock.

What surprised me is how the band is actually exploring a few new things musically. They seem to really have found an identity now instead of just being the RATM guys and that Soundgarden dude. More slower songs, some solo's, not the typical "attack-funk-wah-repeat" formula that got stale with Rage Against the Machine.
Unlike most albums, I find this actually is back-end loaded, the songs seem to get stronger as the album plays on. Nice touch.

This is a much more cohesive piece of work than Audioslave's self-titled debut, not a bad freebie at all!

Nothing absolutely spectacular here but if you're a fan of either of RATM or Soundgarden, or just liked the first Audioslave album, go ahead and get this. If you didn't like any of these guys, there's probably not much new here for you to get into, even if it is a better effort this time around. This is a really solid hard-rock album that sounds different than the typical cowboy-growling Creed/Seether/Nickelback/Theory of Deadman stuff that we've been stuck with for the last 5 years or so.

I'll give it a solid B rating. Fans of the 3 groups might actually like this a lot more than I do.

ForeverAutumn
06-02-2005, 06:43 AM
Hey congratulations Kex! It's always fun to win stuff off of the radio. One of the few good reasons to listen to it at all. Hehehe.

kexodusc
06-02-2005, 06:56 AM
My question is why cant Tom Morello play a guitar the way its supposed to be played? He always has to make these annoying sounds with it, and in my opinion its getting quite old. I like Soundgarden, and I like Rage, but i just dont think Audioslave works.
Yeah, people said the same thing to Jimi Hendrix.
Artists will be artists...

kexodusc
06-02-2005, 06:57 AM
Hey congratulations Kex! It's always fun to win stuff off of the radio. One of the few good reasons to listen to it at all. Hehehe.

Thanks FA, the last time I won a prize on the radio it was 2 ticket to a Meatloaf concert. Don't care for his Hollywood drama music, but damn that guy would be a good stand-up comic!

Duds
06-02-2005, 06:59 AM
good point, but the two "noises" cant be compared in my opinion

Yeah, people said the same thing to Jimi Hendrix.
Artists will be artists...

kexodusc
06-02-2005, 07:15 AM
good point, but the two "noises" cant be compared in my opinion
It's not for everyone..and of course I'm not putting Morello on the same page as Hendrix.
But I don't mind him. He's starting to explore a bit more, and after 14 years or so it's probably about time.

newtrix1
06-02-2005, 08:49 AM

Pretty much concur with your comments, decent, consistant album, nothing bad, nothing terribly exciting either though. It's very "safe" with lots of potential airplay songs. I'll bet track 4 "Doesn't Remind Me" will be a single soon, very melodic and catchy but has a little bite as well. Tough album to recommend here at RR, it's just too average rock sounding. I bet it sells well though.
On the optimistic side, overall I thought the lyrics on Exile were better than the first album. I do like Morello's guitar style, but it is sounding a bit "old" now and when he does play his synthesizer-like trademark style it sounds very formula-matic, like the producer said "OK Tom instert one of your solos here". One track toward the end had a nice old-school RAtM vibe to it with some cool bass work.
Oh well, like I said, it's a decent album, I guess we here at RR are just a bit too snooty for it. ;)